2 cats, 2 litter boxes, no go!

Joliefran

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an older domineering male cat and a feisty young female half his age. Recently, we had a lot of wind and cold and neither cat wanted to go out. The older cat uses the box a lot, so I set up a separate one for her. He promptly went up and pooped in it. I figured his scent was strong so we carried her out to a protected location when she needed to go. Later, I covered the second box with a towel to discourage him from doing it again. He promptly peed right through the towel. I wouldn't worry except we are going to have to be able for 2 days a one night. We are having a friend come to clean boxes but that won't help if he immediately poops or pees into hers. I don't want to have to separate them. Any ideas? Thanks!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The "rule" for the number of litter boxes, is 1 per cat, plus one. So in your case, that would be 3 litter boxes positioned in different locations in the house. So maybe try putting out another one. But, of course, your male cat might just use it too.

Is your female cat using a litter box at all? Or just not if your male cat uses it first?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joliefran

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, I think she crosses her legs and holds it as long as she can, then finally gives in and goes out. I've never known her to use the box...or poop on the brand new area rug, which my big boy also did last week.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has she ever used a litter box? Like when she was a kitten?

If never, then maybe she doesn't understand that it's ok to use it. So you could try putting some unfertilized potting soil on top of the litter, or even some twigs or leaves from outside. The idea is something that reminds her of where she digs outside.

Or maybe try Cat Attract litter.
Dr. Elsey’s Cat Attract® Cat Litter - the litter cats love™

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cats may not be territorial about litter boxes and in fact another cat’s poop may tell her that this is where poop goes. So I would leave all the boxes uncovered and usable by both cats. Since yours are used to going outside, you may want a mix of actual sand and a bit of dirt so that it’s familiar to her and feels like what she is used to.