Kittens born at 42g and 46g -updated (new question)

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My foster cat had her kittens last night. Should have been full term, we took an xray at one point and could see skeletons so if we count that at the lowest it could be, 45 days, she would've delivered at 62 days. But her babies are TINY. I've never seen kittens this small. Like the title said, in the 40's for weight. They appear normal, no obvious deformities besides being small. They can both potty, latch and stay latched and vocalize and move. Do they have any hope of long term survival? They've each gained a couple grams since last night. Momma also had another small one this morning but it was still born.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If they are latching and suckling, they have good chances of surviving! You can help them along by supplementing a few drops of formula into them every couple of hours until they have reached at least 90 - 100 grams and are out of the woods. They sound like fighters, but at this premature size they could turn on a dime, so watch carefully.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If they are latching and suckling, they have good chances of surviving! You can help them along by supplementing a few drops of formula into them every couple of hours until they have reached at least 90 - 100 grams and are out of the woods. They sound like fighters, but at this premature size they could turn on a dime, so watch carefully.
I'm wary to try supplementing them, I don't want to cause diarrhea or stress them out. Momma gets mad if I pick them up and they cry. One thing I want to do is get supplemental warmth in their box. What method would you suggest? The snuggle safe disc? A rice filled sock isn't cutting it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I prefer a heating pad placed under the blanket and set on low, always running, and with room for all to move off if they feel too warm. There’s no getting cold and constant re-heating involved and the temperature remains constant.

As for supplementing, as long as they are gaining weight and not lethargic, I suppose you can hold off. You should weigh twice a day though.

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I prefer a heating pad placed under the blanket and set on low, always running, and with room for all to move off if they feel too warm. There’s no getting cold and constant re-heating involved and the temperature remains constant.

As for supplementing, as long as they are gaining weight and not lethargic, I suppose you can hold off. You should weigh twice a day though.
I worry about leaving a heating pad on and the risk of fire while I'm at work :/ I will be watching their weights like a hawk.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they in a smallish room? You could put a space heater in that room, or just block the air conditioner vent if it's hot outside.

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are they in a smallish room? You could put a space heater in that room, or just block the air conditioner vent if it's hot outside.
They're in a small room, and I have the vent blocked.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm wary to try supplementing them, I don't want to cause diarrhea or stress them out. Momma gets mad if I pick them up and they cry. One thing I want to do is get supplemental warmth in their box. What method would you suggest? The snuggle safe disc? A rice filled sock isn't cutting it.
If you can get an IR lamp as in lizard terraries or rheumatic people use.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
IR lamps are especially useable if you supplement feed or weigh. This way they wont be chilled out when you take them out from the nest.

A caretaking momma is a big plus here, of course. If they really manage to suckle succesfully from momma its a BIG plus. You see it if they do gain at all...

That low weight is in the record range, but the others I know were orphans or momma whom didnt care...

Can you get raw goats milk, IF you would need to supplement?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You do have at home all the gears needed for handfeeding? IF it would be necessary, you shall be prepared...

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My foster kittens were born very small, 42 and 47g. The girl is growing and thriving, she's a chonk. The boy has always had small gains, less than 10g a day. But he was gaining, and active. Suddenly he's more lethargic and just won't latch to mom. He roots lazily and gives up to fall asleep. Even if I rub his face on the nipple with a drop of milk on it, he just ignores it. I've started supplemental feeding today, but obviously he won't latch to the miracle nipple. So I give him a drop at a time until I get to 6ml. After a few feedings today, he's back up to the weight he was yesterday whereas earlier he had been down 9g. unsure of how his poops are, mom potties them and cleans up well. The rescue wanted to start doxy so he had his first dose tonight. I also gave gim 6ml of subcutaneous fluids earlier today.

I'm confused why he's suddenly so disinterested in eating, when he was doing so well before. I've been very cautiously optimistic about these guys since they were born so small.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My foster kittens were born very small, 42 and 47g. The girl is growing and thriving, she's a chonk. The boy has always had small gains, less than 10g a day. But he was gaining, and active. Suddenly he's more lethargic and just won't latch to mom. He roots lazily and gives up to fall asleep. Even if I rub his face on the nipple with a drop of milk on it, he just ignores it. I've started supplemental feeding today, but obviously he won't latch to the miracle nipple. So I give him a drop at a time until I get to 6ml. After a few feedings today, he's back up to the weight he was yesterday whereas earlier he had been down 9g. unsure of how his poops are, mom potties them and cleans up well. The rescue wanted to start doxy so he had his first dose tonight. I also gave gim 6ml of subcutaneous fluids earlier today.

I'm confused why he's suddenly so disinterested in eating, when he was doing so well before. I've been very cautiously optimistic about these guys since they were born so small.
Him not longer wanting to eat is apparently a crisis, a RED ALERT situation. You must act vigorously and immediately. Which you apparently do, so proceed.

Handfeeding, even if it takes time with this drop by drop.
I see you are able to give subcutan injections. Good. What mixture are you giving? What does it contain besides water and salts?
I mean, if you have any choice, give this containing also glucose sugar.

You can smear a little white caro syrup on his gum. Gives some extra energhy.

How old they are now exactly, [2,5 week] and how much does he weights now, exactly?

The typical amount of KMR is usually about 8ml / 30g a day; more if you manage or the kitten wants. So a kitten of say 100g should have about 30 ml a day of kmr or goats milk.

You say you manage to give him 6 ml dropwise at one sitting. Its good for a weak kitten! But how often do you do it?
Its usually better often even if little, than seldom but much.... The labels on many kmr give the schedule too seldom; a schedule which is OK for a healthy kitten and a not very concerned caretaker. But a weak kitten must have more often....

Did you managed to get raw goats milk?

Be sure the kitten is warm, unless its very hot at your place. An IR - lamp is often useful.
Massage it with your forefinger....