1yr old cat to be adopted

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After waiting for months for adopting kittens, have given up hope as the SPCA here is limiting entry dilute the current pandemic. Went once and not able to get any chap I liked and the next visiting is in April. Now I have someone who asked me if I want y adopt their female cat which is 1 yr old and sterilised. Going to take a look at her tomorrow. Will it be difficult for 1 yr cat to adopt to new environment and people? Pictures attached here. Looks big for a 1 yr.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Attaching pics.
Breed unknown as the current owner says it's a Persian mix. Don't see any Persian so just think it's domestic long hair. Is that a rustic colour fur?

Attachments

Last edited:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's beautiful!

I would describe her as a torbie domestic longhair. Torbie means "tortie tabby." It's possible that her color may be silver torbie, but you would have to see her in person to find out. Silver tabby / torbie cats have white at the root of each hair; you can determine the color by parting the hair and looking at the hair roots.

She doesn't have obvious Persian ancestry, although it's possible she may have a Persian far back in her family tree. It's possible that someone decided she was a "Persian mix" simply because she has long hair.

As far as your question about adapting to a new environment, do you already have other cats or pets? Did they tell you anything about her personality?

In my experience, adult cats adapt well to a new environment, and become just as attached to their new families as they would if they had been adopted as kittens, as long as you are patient and kind during the adjustment period. It can take longer for an adult cat to integrate into your household if you already have other cats.

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No other pets. Will be a single cat home.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Is she coming from a home with multiple cats? Have you been given the reason(s) for the current person re-homing her? Not that it necessarily matters, but good information to know ahead of time. To help with her transition, will her current owner allow you to take all of her possessions with her (food/water dish, litter box, toys, bedding/blankets, etc.) that she is used to having around her now?

Just in case there are any helpful tips in this TCS article - How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with all that. Kittens are the most adaptible, and the easiest to befriend, to be sure, but a 1 year old that was doing well, friendly with its owners, and you on a visit, is most likely going to do great with you, eventually. Just a quick note to say that there are probably lots of other options besides the spca if you want a kitten. I got my last kitten via Craigslist from an lovely woman that rescues feral kitties in her spare time. Admittedly, Craigslist is a bit of a PITA and there are weirdos, but it will work out if you are patient. Can also look on petfinder to see if there are other shelters in your area that have different policies.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you choose not to adopt this kitty, have you gone to petfinder?

Also, I don't know about where you are but we have both an spca and a humane society. The humane society was a lot more open - I emailed them about some of the cats then set up an appointment, where I adopted Delilah (well, she adopted me - she saw a pushover coming :p )

When I was looking, I discovered county shelters, plus shelters in neighboring cities. I set myself a distance I was willing to go.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
A one year old is still a kitten in many ways and is still very adaptable to a new environment and a new human. And her advantage is that you can get some info about her likes, dislikes, food preferences etc. I think it is a great opportunity for you both.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Well she certainly looks friendly in that first photo. ;)
She very well could have Persian in her and she is a beauty. A one year old is still a baby and I am positive that she will adapt very well in your home.

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update. Saw her. Cute lady but skittish. Acc to the owner she is 1 yer old. Already sterilised when he got her at 6mths. No sterilisation docs. Also the fur has been growing since he got her so cannot see any scar marks. How to check if she is sterilised?

Attachments

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They (a groomer or a vet) could shave her belly to look for an incision scar.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update. Saw her. Cute lady but skittish. Acc to the owner she is 1 yer old. Already sterilised when he got her at 6mths. No sterilisation docs. Also the fur has been growing since he got her so cannot see any scar marks. How to check if she is sterilised?
She is very pretty! Any reason why you are not sure about the spaying? If you know what center/clinic spayed her, you could call them when you actually have adoption papers (to prove you are the owner) and ask them if they can check their records - and, any other records they might have for her (vaccinations, check ups, etc.) Tbh, the owner should be happy to provide you with the data or at least who to contact to get it. Short of that splitting the hair on your own to look for scar might prove fruitful.

Since she is a bit skittish, please see if you can take with her all of her current "worldly possessions". That will help some to make her feel she has at least some familiar belongings with her.

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The owner bought from the breeder at 6mths already steralized. He is unable to provide any docs related to the steralizarion. Also no other jabs taken in the Kitty's life.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the current owner has had her from age 6 months to age 1 year, has he observed any heat cycles? If not, it's likely that she is spayed, as he was told.

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The current owner is letting her and he is not very forth coming in telling how reason for letting her go. She sleeps in a cat cage with the litter tray inside. However for my home, she will be using Petree automated litter machine but she is is used the the sand litter. But should I let her sleep in cage or can let her roam in my room. Thought of buying small mattress or wooden box for her to sleep. Owner just letting her go and not giving anything else

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's unfortunate that the breeder was irresponsible enough not to share papers with the owner, and it doesn't sound like the owner is very responsible either.

I would give her a single room to live in at the start, rather than keeping her in a cat cage. You can leave the cat cage open in that room should she think she needs it for initial safety-security, but you can provide her with a mattress or box too, if you have the room. I would also keep the litter box she is used to as well as setting up the one you want her to use. She may take to the new one, or she may not - or, perhaps she will adjust on her own over time.

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually the owner will be passing me the cage. So I need to buy. I am putting the litter machine in my study room. Read somewhere not to leave the litter tray in same area as sleeping or food place. I be taking leave to stay with her in the first week to see how she adapts. I stay in tropical country and generally the climate is hot though now it's rainy season. So now pounding my head on type of bedding to get for her.
Have already arranged for groomer visit on the same day of getting her as her fur looks all too rough and over grown. Will be making a vet visit few days later. She had no jabs or checks at all.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you aren't going to get the cage she is used to, I wouldn't go buy another. And, while it is nice to have some space in between her food/water, her bedding, and her litter box they can all be in the same room. It is best that a new cat have just one room to start with - helps with familiarity and getting used to a place she can call her own safe zone at the beginning. I would start with a basic cardboard box that she can get and fit into before worrying about elaborate bedding. Maybe set on its side but so the flaps kind of 'camouflage' the opening a little bit. A soft blanket or towel inside, perhaps. Maybe a couple of hiding spots, so she can pick which one she feels most comfortable using.

If this room has a bed in it, she may very well use the space underneath the bed for a hiding spot. If you don't want that to happen, you might consider placing the mattress and springs directly on the floor for a while.

Not sure the groomer is the best of ideas for her first few days in your home. If I were you, I would hold off on that until you see how quickly she adapts to her new home. That is, unless she is used to being groomed, then it might not be as traumatic.

Maybe this TCS article might help some? How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles

Once you have gotten her adapted to your home, as you already know, the next step will be a vet check up.

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks to all.
I finally got the lady.
Fur was really shedding slot and ear while look clean smell a bit.
Took to groomer and true enough inner ear very dirty.
Tomorrow bringing to vet. Dont think had any vaccinations with previous owner.
But her fur us still shedding alot even after grooming. Should I go for short hair cut?
She now hiding under the chair as still new.

Attachments