1yr Old 15 Lb Cat Normal?

Lokes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We got Wally from the SPCA last June..he just turned 1 last week and he's a monster. Weighing in at 15lbs last time we weighed him.

His markings continue to change but seem to be getting a little wilder, and his personality is BIG and sometimes scary Lol

Is it worth getting that at home cat dna test to see what we have on our hands here, or do we clearly just have a big, fat, confident, tabby cat?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
He is so handsome! I would describe him as a brown classic tabby Domestic Shorthair. There’s a lot of variety among the randombred population, and Wally probably had a giant breed ancestor to get him to his impressive size. Of course, you could get a DNA test done if you’re curious! It won’t tell you for sure what breed he is, but it does say what breeds he’s genetically closest to.

I don’t think he looks fat, by the way. Wally seems to be just a naturally larger cat. He looks long and athletic in that photo.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[...] Wally probably had a giant breed ancestor to get him to his impressive size
Not necessarily. Some cats are just big. We had a 30+ lb domestic shorthair when I was a child and I am sure he didn't have any particular breeds in his ancestry (this was in the 1960s), he was just a very large cat. "Giant breeds" got their large size DNA from the domestic cat gene pool in the first place, anyway.

In Wally's case, 15 lbs is large, but isn't unusually large. He may just be a fast growing cat and his growth may level off soon... or he may continue to grow and be a very large cat when he is fully mature... you will just have to see.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cat dna test wouldn't show breed so save your money and buy him some toys instead, he's likely just a larger cat, some are small, some are big. Hard to tell how his weight is from that pic. Gorgeous markings on him!