18 yo tonk cant use back legs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i been following this drug on line for a yr. i do know zoetis had a zoom call w/vets a few months ago. my vet and i r waiting for the drug!!!!!!!!

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is no doubt there may be some arthritis going on, but diabetes can cause lethargy and weakness, particularly in the back leg area. if it is not controlled properly. Was additional blood work done to see if there is another possible underlying cause as opposed to diabetes? Spikes in blood sugar usually point to diabetes, but that is not always the issue. And arthritis doesn't usually 'pop up' out of nowhere, so I really think the weakness is more likely to be related to diabetes or perhaps some other medical cause, such as the one fionasmom fionasmom suggested.

You might ask the vet about glucose monitoring that you can do at home so you can keep an eye on it without having to take her to the vet for a check. No harm in checking it to see if that sheds any light on anything for you. The vet should be able to provide you with information/instructions on what times of day to check - it is usually tied to when she eats, for what little I know.

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
last thurs. he gave me a monitor,he did the test and it was in range. we talked abt it and he said not to give her insulin that night andbring her in the am he wanted to test her again. so i did,he did and it was normal again. he said do not give her any insulin and c how she does. i asked should i test her he said no. at that point he said he believed it was the pred which i had stopped she seems better everyday!. tmr she goes down to 2.5 ev other day. it will be a challenge with the fgesf. i had also stopped the Visbiome but i intend to start that back tmr. she seems alert, happy, eating well, talkative. i will continue to monitor her CLOSELY and constantly. thnx for the info. it helps me cope and i am always afraid that i am missing something. y'all are the best:hyper::redheartpump::redheartpump::hearthrob::hearthrob::cheerleader:

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Personally, I would suspect kidneys.
Did you get a urinalysis?
Sorry if I missed it, as everything I saw seemed to be that you were focused on diabetes/blood sugar

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yes he did urine sample when teeth cleaned and again when this episode occured. all good! she has improved remarkably since reducing the pred down to 2.5 ev other day. i have added Zobaline once daily in food. her glucose remains normal! she remains on a pallet on he floor(no longer the bed) but she can return if she wants to(she just stares at the poof that is her first level of access) . so far she is walking SLOWLY and a little wobbly but she is going further daily.my observation is that she mostly walking on her paws but her rear left leg is where she reverts to the hock too often. i have put rugs for traction on the terrazzo flooring. i can pick her up w/o her fussing. i think she will attempt to get back on bed when she feels she can make it! she seems to have made a remarkable recovery from where she was. i have continued with the adequan shots and am hoping for Solensia to make it to market soon. i heard a whisper time of August

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for the updates! It is good to hear that you are making progress and I hope it continues. Rugs that give traction can be a huge help for any mobility impaired cat or dog.

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the updates! It is good to hear that you are making progress and I hope it continues. Rugs that give traction can be a huge help for any mobility impaired cat or dog.

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
update! it has been a month and my precious Placide is WALKING! mostly on her paws. less on her hock!. she is more active daily! her glucose remains normal. today we did a fu w/onco on fgesf. because she has lost weight and her appetite. both vets agree that the reduction of pred fixed the diabetes. she is down to 2,5 ev other day. onco saw very slight increase in size of colon. bears watching but no action.! waiting for thyroid test results cause she is shedding a LOT!. slightly anemic. she got a b12 shot, dose of mirtazapine(and some to take home!) i do think a month of bed rest helped a lot! i dont think i can let get back on the bed. that jumping up and down cant be good for her arthritis or the neuropathy. i am starting to gradually return her life to what it was minus my bed. but i am letting her use the litter box in her old location. the water bowls are in different rooms. as is her food bowl. so she doesnt have to eat while on the pallet just sleep and rest? i dont know if i will let her free feed on kibble yet? her stools have been normal on the wet food. any ideas?????

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This all sounds very good! Thanks for the update!
i dont think i can let get back on the bed. that jumping up and down cant be good for her arthritis or the neuropathy.
I have makeshift stair steps at the end of my bed so that Feeby can use those to get onto the bed. Not traditional cat stairs, as I find them to be a bit too small in terms of each step. Measure the distance from the top of your bed to the floor, and find at least 2 box-type items you can buy to enable her to use those to go up and down. When I did this for Feeby, she took to them immediately, and has used them ever since.

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This all sounds very good! Thanks for the update!

I have makeshift stair steps at the end of my bed so that Feeby can use those to get onto the bed. Not traditional cat stairs, as I find them to be a bit too small in terms of each step. Measure the distance from the top of your bed to the floor, and find at least 2 box-type items you can buy to enable her to use those to go up and down. When I did this for Feeby, she took to them immediately, and has used them ever since.
thanx for that! she had been using a poof thing i put there for her some time back but i will measure. i think she needs a 2 tier transition. do sturdy boxes work? maybe not sturdy enuf? am i wrong to think it is the way down that is the worse on her? and it needs to be something i wont trip over.!🤦‍♀️

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did indeed have to go to a two-tiered step up/down. I have one that is about 12-13 inches high which is a metal storage chest we have at the foot of my bed, and then another that is almost 6 inches high in front of that. I am lucky in that where I need this two-tiered process it has conveniently worked with the room layout. So, no tripping.

This is pretty similar to the one I previously bought - allen + roth Herringbone 7.13-in W x 5.5-in H x 10.69-in D Gray Fabric Bin in the Storage Bins & Baskets department at Lowes.com.

I also have Iron Mountain boxes, or old paper ream boxes - both pretty sturdy, that have also become places to store stuff, to set up in other locations for her to use as stair steps to places like our coffee table (I gave up this being a taboo place for her), which then leads to the couch and other 'what used to be taboo spots'. I use footstools, smaller ones about 12" in diameter, and 12" high, but I may now need to add an additional step to those - probably like the Lowe's one noted above. Sometimes, all of these can get in the way, but I have found ways over time to work around them. I need extra steps now because it appears that Feeby has a hyper-extended wrist that may never get better.

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did indeed have to go to a two-tiered step up/down. I have one that is about 12-13 inches high which is a metal storage chest we have at the foot of my bed, and then another that is almost 6 inches high in front of that. I am lucky in that where I need this two-tiered process it has conveniently worked with the room layout. So, no tripping.

This is pretty similar to the one I previously bought - allen + roth Herringbone 7.13-in W x 5.5-in H x 10.69-in D Gray Fabric Bin in the Storage Bins & Baskets department at Lowes.com.

I also have Iron Mountain boxes, or old paper ream boxes - both pretty sturdy, that have also become places to store stuff, to set up in other locations for her to use as stair steps to places like our coffee table (I gave up this being a taboo place for her), which then leads to the couch and other 'what used to be taboo spots'. I use footstools, smaller ones about 12" in diameter, and 12" high, but I may now need to add an additional step to those - probably like the Lowe's one noted above. Sometimes, all of these can get in the way, but I have found ways over time to work around them. I need extra steps now because it appears that Feeby has a hyper-extended wrist that may never get better.
thank u thank u thank u :hyper::hyper:all those ideas has my creative juices going! i needed a starting point. she has lost weight, tdy the onco called me to say her thyroid is normal but i should have it chkd again in a few months. she is shedding a LOT of hair. i lkd it up and it could be stress/ she has had a lot of it! she asked me if she ate last nite, she had not and she said "she has to eat" i asked if it was critical and she said yes. i am overwhelmed. she just refuses to eat any novel protein. it is like she has had enuf! so i went and got chicken and veg stew rx(the forbidden fruit!) and she ate like it was the last supper. i am going to try to balance this all out. i will mix it with the novel prot food and she may go back to eating it. whatever it takes;):crossfingers:

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
omg! she is refusing the gabapentin again!. i know God sent me this child as a test! she did this once before and after a while she started taking it again. it is doubly hard when it should be hypoallergenic. i saw one homemade with almond butter? that sounds dangerous to me. she could choke to death! and one on amazon that has molasses in it. cats arent supposed to have sugar! what are they thinking????????:nono::nono::nono:

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry if I am asking a question you've already answered - how are you administering the gabapentin? Is it the liquid form?
#4 capsule.i just rcvd the treats i ordered fr chewy! special thanks to Bobby Flay! he has a Norwegian he has created food for. i got his duck treats. OMG placide loved it. swallowed that capsule right away to get to the next treat. #timingiseverything. i used to do that with the rx RC hypoallergenic treats. they have been on backorder for a while. all this mess! it is NOT just baby formula. i cant give her liquid anything w/o a fight. i do not stress her out unless it is life or death.

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
#4 capsule.i just rcvd the treats i ordered fr chewy! special thanks to Bobby Flay! he has a Norwegian he has created food for. i got his duck treats. OMG placide loved it. swallowed that capsule right away to get to the next treat. #timingiseverything. i used to do that with the rx RC hypoallergenic treats. they have been on backorder for a while. all this mess! it is NOT just baby formula. i cant give her liquid anything w/o a fight. i do not stress her out unless it is life or death.

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
just an update on Placide! she is walking a lot and mostly on her paws. that left back leg is the problem. she has not attempted to get on the bed since the tbl started. she has started roaming,looking for me and crying out. i was confused. but now i realize when i pick her up and hold her she is fine. thinking of getting a pouch to carry her around with me?:alright: #tryingtolivemylife:oops: i put the steps for her. but she has made no attempt to use them. she wont eat unless i sit with her. is this geriatric behaviour? or an overly attached kitty? overly needy? or just old? she was not this bad b4 "the episode"