18 Years Old! Huge Pee Puddles!

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I decided to take on another foster. His name is Mr. Cuddles. The shelter said he was surrendered because the other cats were attacking him. They said he had mobility issues. He's definitely slow and doesn't get around like a young man anymore. So anyways he is actually in pretty good health. Creatine was a little high but nothing to worry about. No hyperthyroidism or other issues. But he's peeing HUGE puddles. He isn't dehydrated I've been checking (ready with fluids). Any ideas what else could cause these huge pee puddles??
IMG_20191004_104637_504.jpg IMG_20191002_145342_508.jpg MVIMG_20191003_120014.jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Mr. Cuddles is absolutely adorable! :lovecat3: Thank you for fostering him and giving him TLC. My main concern about the pee puddles would be his kidneys. Does the shelter include a vet visit? If so, I would suggest a complete blood panel. I noticed your comment about his Creatinine level and being negative for hyperthyroidism so perhaps he has had a thorough exam.

Here's an Article about Health Concerns in Aging Cats that may be helpful:
Health Concerns In Aging Cats

I hope you can find out what's causing this health issue. Bless you for helping this senior cat and giving him a loving foster home. Please keep us posted on Mr. Cuddles' progress. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He did have complete blood work done and there was nothing but the very slightly elevated creatinine. everything else is listed as unremarkable. except this I just noticed "UA: 3+ hematuria and USG of 1.014". not sure what those mean. Hematuria is blood in the urine but not sure what the 3+ means.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe u can give the rescue a call back and talk to the vet that did his blood work to explain what the numbers mean.
My feral rescue pees softball sized pee balls in clumping litter at least once or twice a day. He gets dry and wet and really loves the wet and he drinks a lot of water on top of that. He has been vetted several times and has always been in great health and the vet said she wasn’t concerned. May just be his norm

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Because he is a foster i have unlimited access to the clinic. if he has any issues i can make an appointment and if it is urgent i just send an email to get a same day appointment. they also supply the food and litter for him but for the most part I buy it for him as part of my contribution to the shelter. he has an appointment on Tuesday as just a check up and see how he is doing appointment. my paperwork says the sent the thyroid test out the day i picked him up. which means they wouldn't have had those result back yet. Although my foster coordinator said it came back normal. looking at him it looks like a thyroid issue would make sense. but i guess i will just have to wait til Tuesday.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he getting medications for pain / arthritis? Maybe he is avoiding using the litter box till absolutely necessary. He may have also adopted the habit of only peeing once or twice a day due to being bullied. How many times a day does he go to the litter box and pee?
I know of some cats who peed huge amounts, but only used the litter box once or twice, where as others pee smaller amounts but go to the litter box 3-5 times a day.
He does look a little thin along his back and hips, which could simply be normal due to his age, but that also points to CKD or thyroid too, but his lab work was still good so...IDK. It could also just be the picture...Is he a little thin? How is his appetite?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He eats but not excessively. He peed 4 times overnight yesterday. I actually might have figured him out. I think he was left without water for long periods of time. Now that he has had full access and it's freshened often he seems to be slowing the drinking and peeing less. I think he is a stress drinker. Even with me the first day in his room he just paced and drank water. Now that he knows it's his room and his water it seems to be lightening up.