18 year old so thin

Status
Not open for further replies.

gusmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 18 year old cat Johnny is so thin. He seems at times very confused. He eats a bit, then rejects food. He is drinking, peeing, pooing. My question: should I put him through testing to determine the issue? He’s terrified of vet office as before we moved vet came to our home. About a year ago he was tested negative for thyroid. Any advice/support is greatly appreciated and thank you.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
If it were my cat I would. There are ways of making the visit less scary like using Feliway just before you go, and also my cat seems calmer in a dark kennel vs one he can see out of, though all cats are different. I actually sing songs to my cat during the ride which seems to calm him some, and cracking open the window for fresh smells helps too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gusmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for this advice. I do have a darker crate I will use (soft travel crate with sturdy bottom). I’ve made an appointment for evaluation this afternoon. It is very cold here but I will crack the window for him. Again, thank you for caring.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cover the carrier loosely with a towel. That helps keep cats calm since they can't see out and be distracted / agitated by what they see.

Make sure the vet does a senior blood work panel. I suggest including a fructosamine and redo the thyroid test, too. The fructosamine will determine diabetes, along with any symptoms such as the weight loss.

gusmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I will specifically ask. One issue is for me: I have had cats dogs other animals as well for over 5 decades. Every goodbye is gut wrenching, but I knew; they told me it was time; I never had a doubt. Despite my handsome boys age, I don’t get that message…yet. Then again I am older and maybe it’s me in denial. I am trusting this vet to help Johnny. Because ultimately Johnnys welfare is all I care about. So thank you. I will ask. People caring so helps.

gusmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Absolutely. we are headed over for 2:30. Thanks for all the good thoughts.

gusmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your advice and best thoughts. I made the decision to give my Johnny peace. He is at peace now. I will miss him forever.

gusmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear this. RIP little Johnny. Did the vet give you any indication of what was going on with Johnny?
He was very kind. He said perhaps we could get a very few weeks with him if bloodwork revealed thyroid or diabetes, but kidney would be bad news. Johnny had no fight left in him. I chose not to prolong the inevitable. Vet just kept reminding me he was 18. Old age.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
So very sorry to see this news. We'll close the thread now out of respect for your loss. We invite you to post a tribute to your sweet boy in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.