18 year old cat with Renal failure

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I just wanted to post an update- I wasn’t happy with some of the things the vet told me at Gibbons original appointment, and more importantly unhappy with the sheer lack of things she told me at all. She was very vague and seemed to be ‘guessing’ at a lot of things. The machine ‘broke’ during his blood test so they had to re run it and a few other odd things . Today I decided to get a second opinion at a different (less rural and more appointed clinic) . We ran the bloodwork again and did some additional tests. Turns out Gibbons had low potassium levels causing his nausea. His kidneys are functioning well for his age with a few slightly elevated levels- not enough to consider him even stage 1 CKF. He also has a mild heart murmur which the sub q fluids he never did need could have affected adversely. I just want to tell anyone out there if you don’t feel satisfied with vets diagnosis or ability to explain it to you, you are well within your rights to seek a second opinion! I’m too happy for Gibbons to be too angry yet, but I thought I’d share my experience.