18 Year Got E-coli

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
wow I never knew cats can get E-coli, Anyway a few weeks ago I noticed my girl Minca was having trouble peeing, just drops in her litter pan, and know this right away, always aware, noticed some blood, right away off to the vet, they did a urine sample , and a blood clot came out, took blood gave her fluids, and a 2 week antibiotic, results came back e coli. vet called me to put her on pills or drops, I said drops would be easier, how much 33 bucks twice a day for 2 weeks, ok,, then I pick up the drops, her dose was more than a drop, a whole eye dropper, thick stuff too. but there was only enough for 1 week, I called and she wanted another 33 bucks, I said the vet told me 33 for 2 weeks, well that is not the case,, ok (not)..
how much were the pills 28 for 2 weeks, I said 2 weeks right? yes,, well if the vet told me the drops were 66 bucks, don't yah think I would have got the pills for 28? duh.. anyway she is done with the first week, and doing very well, nice poops and pees, question is I would rather stop now.. forget the 2nd week.. then they also want another sample, to test and make sure..
she is taking Clavamax by the way.. I know the response will be listen to the vet.. I feel I got the run around here.. Did anyone deal with this e -coli before, also I never heard of it in cats, then had they get it was unexpected also.. thanks for any response.. oh and I do feel that I paid for 2 weeks worth.. as the vet told me.. Minca says thank you

ineedhelpnow

I love FURBABIES!
Young Cat
Purraise
wow I never knew cats can get E-coli, Anyway a few weeks ago I noticed my girl Minca was having trouble peeing, just drops in her litter pan, and know this right away, always aware, noticed some blood, right away off to the vet, they did a urine sample , and a blood clot came out, took blood gave her fluids, and a 2 week antibiotic, results came back e coli. vet called me to put her on pills or drops, I said drops would be easier, how much 33 bucks twice a day for 2 weeks, ok,, then I pick up the drops, her dose was more than a drop, a whole eye dropper, thick stuff too. but there was only enough for 1 week, I called and she wanted another 33 bucks, I said the vet told me 33 for 2 weeks, well that is not the case,, ok (not)..
how much were the pills 28 for 2 weeks, I said 2 weeks right? yes,, well if the vet told me the drops were 66 bucks, don't yah think I would have got the pills for 28? duh.. anyway she is done with the first week, and doing very well, nice poops and pees, question is I would rather stop now.. forget the 2nd week.. then they also want another sample, to test and make sure..
she is taking Clavamax by the way.. I know the response will be listen to the vet.. I feel I got the run around here.. Did anyone deal with this e -coli before, also I never heard of it in cats, then had they get it was unexpected also.. thanks for any response.. oh and I do feel that I paid for 2 weeks worth.. as the vet told me.. Minca says thank you
I would keep her on the antibiotic by the vet's discretion. If you take her off the antibiotic now, the chance of a small amount of bacteria being present and multiplying to cause a relapse of symptoms is likely. And this time they may be more resistant to the Clavamax.

If you finish the 2 weeks course of antibiotics, and she responds well then they might not need a test, but talk to your vet and let them know of your financial situation, and also let them know of the miscommunication and they might be able to offer some assistance.

Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks I plan on it, I do not like second thoughts..

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always advocate taking the full round of antibiotics, no matter how much better the cat, or the person feels. Stopping to soon can cause a relapse, and is a big factor in antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria that we see more and more.
best of luck to her. keep us updated. :heartshape:

Saf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All cats and people naturally have e-coli in their intestines, it plays a role in digestion. But it shouldn't be in the urine. If there's an underlying health problems like kidney disease it can make a UTI more likely - e-coli is generally the cause of most UTI's. You can help prevent further incidences by daily doses of D'mannose powder.

ineedhelpnow

I love FURBABIES!
Young Cat
Purraise
All cats and people naturally have e-coli in their intestines, it plays a role in digestion. But it shouldn't be in the urine. If there's an underlying health problems like kidney disease it can make a UTI more likely - e-coli is generally the cause of most UTI's. You can help prevent further incidences by daily doses of D'mannose powder.
The strains of E. Coli found naturally in animals' intestines are part of the normal flora, but the infectious strains of E. Coli which infect intestinal cells are pathogenic and their presence is abnormal. Without a UTI, urine should generally be sterile and free of any pathogens, including E. Coli.

It's likely that your cat has a UTI and is experiencing inflammation, and while D-mannose is effective in treating feline UTI's, the sides effects are usually worse than antibiotics. I would stick to your vets advice.