17yr neutered male w/swollen penis won't retract not blocked

mspurr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my 17 year old male who is neutered has a swollen penis, his penis won't retract! I took him to the vet and he IS not blocked. The vet gave him a shot of antibiotics and said to use a e collar to stop him from licking or doing damage that was on Friday. since then the swelling has went down but his penis is still swollen and looks dry,red.he acts perfectly normal eats,uses litter etc. what caused this? I have owns cats for 20 years and never saw anything like this happen before

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did you call your vet and update him on your cat's condition?  Maybe it needs to be "lubricated" so it is able to slip back into the sheath? 

Last edited by a moderator:

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to invade your kitty privacy but can you take a photo? I had an intact male live with me and sometimes his would get red around the base when retracted, he'd clean it a few days in a row and then it would go away.

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was just thinking that if it was dried out that maybe it was not able to slip back in to the sheath.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mspurr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the vet just keeps saying keep the ecollar on him so he doesn't lick. give him his oral antibiotics and apply antibiotic ointment ...as long as he acts normal eating,peeing etc. I have to wait till the swelling goes down.  I just never had a cat have this problem. his penis actually looks like it is getting a scab   WARNING: THIS PICTURE IS GRAPHIC

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Did you call your vet and update him on your cat's condition?  Maybe it needs to be "lubricated"  so it is able to slip back into the sheath? 
I would think that there must still be some soreness or irritation there to cause him not to retract.

I still think it is some sort of infection, but doubt the shot will be enough, I'd rather see him get antibiotics to get this healed up completely.

Poor guy, that can't be very comfortable :(

mspurr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The poor old guy kept licking to he bled and damaged the tissue, now he so swollen he cannot retract. it was actually WORSE than the pic. the swelling has reduced alot since i first noticed.i just have Never seen anything like this

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta
Immediate treatment is necessary for cat that are unable to retract its penis into the sheath, as damage to the tissues can occur. Techniques to repair or aid in this medical condition can include removing any foreign objects that are present, lubricating the penile area for retraction, surgical enhancement of the orifice area if it is too small, and catheters if the cat is unable to urinate. At times, ointments and topical medications are prescribed to correct phimosis.

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/reproductive/c_ct_paraphimosis_phimosis?page=show

mspurr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Immediate treatment is necessary for cat that are unable to retract its penis into the sheath, as damage to the tissues can occur. Techniques to repair or aid in this medical condition can include removing any foreign objects that are present, lubricating the penile area for retraction, surgical enhancement of the orifice area if it is too small, and catheters if the cat is unable to urinate. At times, ointments and topical medications are prescribed to correct phimosis.

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/reproductive/c_ct_paraphimosis_phimosis?page=show
I took him immediately to the vet  when i saw it and he gave a shot of antibiotics,oral antibiotics antibiotic ointment,took blood and told me to keep an ecollar on him, and called a second vet after that with same results.the cat acts normal this happened once before but not this bad. it seems he over grooms and causes this, stress maybe? he is old and I recently got a female cat she is 6mos old now.it actually looks like the tissue that surrounds the penis is swollen,not the actual penis. he doesn't strain to pee or cry he acts normal except for licking and biting at the area 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I took him immediately to the vet  when i saw it and he gave a shot of antibiotics,oral antibiotics antibiotic ointment,took blood and told me to keep an ecollar on him, and called a second vet after that with same results.the cat acts normal this happened once before but not this bad. it seems he over grooms and causes this, stress maybe? he is old and I recently got a female cat she is 6mos old now.it actually looks like the tissue that surrounds the penis is swollen,not the actual penis. he doesn't strain to pee or cry he acts normal except for licking and biting at the area 
So a 6 month old kitten............that may very well be exactly what happened.

It is so common that the older cat gets very upset and stressed with a new cat family member, so young and strong. It makes me think they feel replaced, which is very sad.

Normally, wrong word, commonly overgrooming is on their tummies, so you may have just hit the nail on the head here.

How long have you had the new kitten?

Also meant to ask, the topical ointment, is it an anti-inflammatory as well or just the antibiotic?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
His condition is quite sad to me as I have seen many different behaviors appear in these situations when a new kitten is brought in to a home where there is/are senior cat(s) and it's very sad to me.

You haven't mentioned a time frame, does it seem to have started and progressed after the new kitten came?

Does the topical antibiotic contain an anti-inflammatory?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the lubrication part, it can't be good for him to be so dry. Call your vet and see what they recommend to use, or keep the antibiotic ointment applied. My heart goes out to that poor guy, I pray everything goes better for him soon!

mspurr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 UPDATE..I took the poor guy back to the vet, a total of $600 after 3 vet visits to 2 different vets all they keep telling me is the same thing. for an undetermined reason he damaged his penis  by actually licking and biting and now all I can do is keep the ecollar on him to prevent licking and biting, apply antibiotic ointment to the area,administer oral antibiotics. watch for worsening of swelling or signs of infection. make sure he is urinating ,thankfully he isn't blocked  and use only dust free litter. his bloodwork showed reduced kidney function so I have to give subq fluids every 2 days, we were never able to get a urine sample his bladder was empty everytime we were at the vets. fortunately the swelling is reducing  he is eating normally and acting as normal as he can with the ecollar on( he hates it)but he is so scabbed I hope he recovers fully.  

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

UPDATE..I took the poor guy back to the vet, a total of $600 after 3 vet visits to 2 different vets all they keep telling me is the same thing. for an undetermined reason he damaged his penis  by actually licking and biting and now all I can do is keep the ecollar on him to prevent licking and biting, apply antibiotic ointment to the area,administer oral antibiotics. watch for worsening of swelling or signs of infection. make sure he is urinating ,thankfully he isn't blocked  and use only dust free litter. his bloodwork showed reduced kidney function so I have to give subq fluids every 2 days, we were never able to get a urine sample his bladder was empty everytime we were at the vets. fortunately the swelling is reducing  he is eating normally and acting as normal as he can with the ecollar on( he hates it)but he is so scabbed I hope he recovers fully.  
He IS  a poor guy! :(

They likely told you that reduced kidney function is very common at his age, basically the fluids will help it to not progress as much/fast as it would possibly otherwise, so this is good.

As long as scabs go undisturbed they will heal up fine, he should heal up completely.

As for the ecollar, some cats accept better than others.

I've had a couple I rescued through the years who were NOT adaptive to it at all, so I had to get very creative and actually make a collar out of fabric and velcro for the closure.

Almost like a bib, but a bib will turn around, so even around like the collar is, that will come down further than his mouth will reach, using thick fabric that doesn't crumble up easily like tee shirt fab will. I used a piece of quilting fabric, and the ecollar as my pattern.

They took to that alot better than the plastic one that's for sure! Anyway, something you might consider depending on just how much he really hates it.

Last edited:

kenneth haley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Sammy went through a spell where he would get excited when pawing. That turned into humping our legs while sleeping.He actually got to the point he was ejaculating blood. His penis often looked like your photo . His penis became infected. We to put antibiotic on his penis (clever cat, got us to do it for him), made him where a collar for an hour after application of antiobiotic AND scooted him off when he tried to paw or hump. He's all better now.

mspurr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

He IS  a poor guy! :(

They likely told you that reduced kidney function is very common at his age, basically the fluids will help it to not progress as much/fast as it would possibly otherwise, so this is good.

As long as scabs go undisturbed they will heal up fine, he should heal up completely.

As for the ecollar, some cats accept better than others.

I've had a couple I rescued through the years who were NOT adaptive to it at all, so I had to get very creative and actually make a collar out of fabric and velcro for the closure.

Almost like a bib, but a bib will turn around, so even around like the collar is, that will come down further than his mouth will reach, using thick fabric that doesn't crumble up easily like tee shirt fab will. I used a piece of quilting fabric, and the ecollar as my pattern.

They took to that alot better than the plastic one that's for sure! Anyway, something you might consider depending on just how much he really hates it.
I found a new e collar he likes a little better, it's a soft fabric sleeve that encloses a blow up tube and secures with Velcro, so easy to adjust to a comfortable fit, he can't lick but can eat and drink much better and serves as a pillow when he sleeps. I wonder if the reduced kidney function caused an infection or maybe stones that irritated him or stones that he bit and licked until he dislodged? i'm worried he'll do this again after /if he heals. he did this about a month ago (not as bad)  but after 2 days he was normal . It's been a week but it looks better as each day passes.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

mspurr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No at this time  they haven't suggested surgery .both vets just want it to heal, the damage is superficial so far , he licked and bit until he was raw ,swollen and bloody also the antibiotic crème is very lubricating the vet's hope is after healing swelling will reduce enough for the penis to retract, but I did by lubricant to administer in between applications of antibiotic cream. I just wish they could of gotten a urine sample to see if he had an infection or crystals that may have been the cause of the  excessive licking.I'M AFRAID if I don't find the reason why he did this, he will repeat the behavior and reinjure or worse.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think eliminating the most dangerous first is best, I agree.

Is there any possible chance of you getting a urine sample from him?

Perhaps put some shredded newspaper in his box and as soon as he pees, there should be enough to pour some in to a container.

If he is peeing it is not as likely to be a blockage, although there are partial blockages too.

No fever at all? He has been dehydrated correct? Is he not drinking and eating well? I think you already said he is.

If he has a bladder or uti, eventually he will begin to act different. Not well, lethargic, lack of appetite, hiding somewhat.

If he doesn't have a medical issue going on, I would direct my attention to the new kitten. That's pretty stressful on an old cat unfortunately.