17 Yr Old Long Hair, Bad Mats, Health Problems - Quiet Shaver?

ElizabethLynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello - our sweet old longhair Midnight has recently developed mats that are so bad I'm concerned that they're hurting her. Maybe due to her age, or her health, I've never encountered a longhair like this. She's had 2 strokes recently, so I don't want to take her to a groomer since she's never been to one. I've always brushed her in the past with no problem. I read that olive oil can loosen mats, so I've applied that with success and been able to carefully cut away some of the mats, although she now has bald spots :(.

I can't reach under her chin and stomach in a kind way with blunt scissors.

Has anyone used a truly quiet shaver? I see they're on Amazon, but not sure if it's just marketing. Just trying to do this the most humane way. I'll get a family member to help me with the shaver under her chin and stomach.

Thank you!

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about a quiet shaver. Hopefully someone will chime in with experience. I would recommend getting her used to the sound of whatever shaver you use. Let her get accustomed to the sound first, even if it means having someone turn it on while in a different room while you stroke her, if she is the nervous sort. Once the sound is less scary and you can turn it on close to her without her freaking out, then try shaving. You may only be able to do small spots at a time at first. Always give love and a treat when done. Good Luck!

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
If there are reviews of the "quiet shaver" on Amazon, read them. People who use it know how loud or soft the tool is.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I have the Andis Cordless Animal Trimmer, Equine and Livestock Grooming, D-4 (32130); I’ve had it for years. It was about $25, and it’s probably a case of you get what you pay for. You’ll see it gets poor reviews. It is quiet and the cats don’t mind it, but it doesn’t have a lot of power and you have to go over the same place several times. I use it to trim the long hair from below their tails and down their back legs. I don’t think it would do well on mats. So perhaps avoid this one! :)

I would guess that the ones that are marketed as animal trimmers are generally quieter.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a Wahl uclip deluxe. The Big Guy is ok with it but I think that's because he got used to being clipped/shaved at the vet's. I don't have any way to compare noise levels but we asked our vet what they use and went with that.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How does Midnight feel about being brushed? Of my three fluffy ones, Bassie loves it, Samson hates it and Java is OK with it but apprehensive about having her mats pulled on.

Java was the biggest problem. As she’s getting older (13 or so), she’s having more problems keeping up with her coat. She had so many mats everywhere! I finally ended up grabbing a mat close to the skin and cutting into it at right angles to the skin with very sharp scissors. My fingers at the base protected the skin. Then I would use my fingers to break up the mat as much as I could. She hated it, so it took days to get them all and I’m sure I had to break up the same ones several times, but she’s finally free of mats! Even though her coat is obviously jagged to my eye, most people don’t notice.

I brush Bassie every day because she enjoys it. With Java, I’m going to have to thin her fur, I think she’ll be happier that way than being brushed all the time. Samson doesn’t get that many mats, so he gets the occasional brushing.

I would have preferred to take them to the groomer but I’m having trouble finding one who will groom cats and then they require a rabies vaccination, which my vet doesn’t give yearly any more, so that would take all sorts of explaining...

I use an Andis clipper with a detachable blade. It’s not that loud but it’s certainly not silent. I love the detachable blade because I can clean it real well and I can get other blades for it.

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 16.5 year old that had a chest/belly clip about 6 months ago by a groomer. She wold not let me get in there. If I can, when she needs it next time, I may try manual clippers like these.

Last edited: