17+ year old will not wake up today, vet appt in one hour - scared

iluvcats4ever

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last night my cat was 100% fine, today, I can't get him up.  He is just sleeping.  I picked him up and put him on his feet and he went right back to the blanket and he stumbled a couple of times and went back to sleep.

This is not normal behavior for him at all.  Usually he is meowing for treats all day.  (I actually use his dry food at treats)

He has not eaten or drank anything today.

I am so scared, I am trying not to freak out, but I can't quit shaking.

They are going to check blood to see all his levels, but how much do you put them through?  I don't want him tortured.

Ugg, I'm a mess.  Come on 3:00.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is an emergency. I'd take him right now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iluvcats4ever

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called, they can't see him until 3 and the nearest emergency vet clinic is 45 min away, I will leave now and just go sit in the office till  they see me.

I will let you know

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sending lots of good vibes! I hope they see him immediately. Act like a jerk until they do!

iluvcats4ever

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They saw him right away, they took blood. The levels were all good, his white cells were slightly elevated but they said that could be stress.  His globulin was slightly high too and his temperature was up a degree.  The vet said his heart was very slow, especially for being under such stress. 

He seems to think it is his heart, they are running a blood test to confirm.  They wanted to hook him to electrodes and take xrays, but even if it is his heart, there is nothing they can do.  So I opted for the blood work first.

He said if it isn't his heart, there is a good possibility it is cancer.

I will get the blood results tomorrow about 3:00, but I am very sick and sad.

I chose him from the litter 3 weeks, picked him up at 8 weeks and he has been with me since, 17+ years.

Thank you for the good wishes.

ciaostacia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry you two are having to go through this. Sending lots and lots of good thoughts your way!

thetigerden

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I so hope it's not something awful and that he will recover. Good health wishes to you and your cat!

iluvcats4ever

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Frustrated!  The vet send blood off for a test to see if it is Munchkin's heart.  The test results are back, but the vet won't be in till tomorrow morning and the staff can't give them to me..  So here I sit after being ill all day with worry, and now I will worry all night.  Why would they tell me the results would be back by three if they were not going to give me the results!?!

He has got up today and ate a very little and drank some water, so things are maybe 10% better.  His breath smells awful today but his kidneys tested out fine.  I have him IV fluids last night, the vet didn't give him anything and he had not ate or drank all day. 

The vet asked me yesterday if he had ever been tested for fiv or felv and I don't see in his paperwork that he has ever been tested.  I don't understand why, he was at the emergency vet about a  1 1/2 years ago and that is when they decided it was IBD.  Wouldn't they rule everything else out? 

So if it isn't his heart, I guess we get that checked next.  Of course now I am wondering, since I have three IBD cats, if maybe it is one of these viruses.

He is laying right here by my side he hasn't left my side except for a few minutes since yesterday morning. 

Depending on the outcome, I may be looking for another vet, I like the woman there, but I don't like this man.  But emergency treatment, you take who is available.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you heard anything yet?  Is he doing better today?

iluvcats4ever

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, what a day. This morning Munchkin was standing really funny, looked like he was peeing, he was not. When I pet him, he fell over and went into a position on his side with his paws curled. I saw that he was shaking intermittently. He would just quiver. So I got a heating pad and put him on it then called the vet. He continued to shake. They told me to come right up so I wrapped him in a blanket and went.His blood results for his heart registered a 500, 100 was mild heart disease, 200 was advanced, his was 500 so extremely severe. So needless to say, I was very, very upset. They sent us immediately to Cincinnati to see a cardiologist on a emergency basis.I will make a very long story short, the test was a false positive. The only thing wrong with his heart is he has a leaky valve which is not life threatening. I was very glad to hear that, but after two days of panic, and $1000.00 in tests, nobody can tell me why my cat has almost died twice this week. Don't get me wrong, I don't care about the money, but I am nearly drained dry and he is no better. I can't lose him, I realized today that I just won't be able to handle it. I haven't cried that much, just he fear of what if.Of course when you get them to the vet, the adrenaline and fear makes them much more lively than at home.So now we have to go back to the regular vet but I don't know for what. They have run all blood work, x rays, echocardiogram. and other than an elevated globulin level there has been nothing. The cardiologist said maybe pancreatitis, but the vet that sent us said it is absolutely not pancreatitis, kidneys, or thyroid issues. So what is left? They said he gained 3 oz in two days but he hasn't been eating, maybe two bites of wet food, so that is just not possible.Does anyone have any ideas???

turks rule!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You poor things, I can totally understand how you are feeling. He has been a big part of your life for so long. No ideas I'm afraid, but sending your stunning cat some get well soon vibes x

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is your Vet a feline only Vet?  If not, maybe you need to see if you can find someone who specialized in felines only.  Then gather up all his medical records and take them to this new person who can, hopefully, come up with a TRUE diagnosis
.  There is obviously something wrong, and gaining weight while not eating doesn't sound right, although could that be from you administering fluids?  Is he eliminating okay?  Have they felt him to see if he might possibly have a mass in his abdomen or anything that might explain that weight gain?  Was an xray ever taken?

I really have no idea what the problem might be, but really think there must be one.  When the cardiologist said "maybe pancreatitis" , you tell him the other Vet said "no way"?  What did he say to that?

Did you talk to the other Vet yet to tell them the cardiologist said it isn't a heart issue?  

that you can find someone (VET) SOON to figure this out for you

iluvcats4ever

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Munchkin is no better today. He is still just sleeping and his breathing is just weird, its like little breaths then a huge breath, not really struggling, but is isn't smooth and easy.  Total food today is about 1/4 can of fancy feast.  Maybe 10 pieces of dry food at all (very unusual).  He was shaking again so I wrapped him in a heating blanket He didn't move for  hours.  Then it was just to get down and come straight back up.

They vets act like I am crazy, but I know my cat.  He was in flight mode at the vet, so of course he was more lively. The vet is not feline only, at this point I am very untrusting of all of them.

The weight gain was not fluids, I gave them Thursday night and this was Saturday, we was struggling Saturday so I don't know how accurate it was, but they were excited about the "weight gain".  He has had three physical exams in three days.  They felt every part of his body and said they could not feel anything.   They took x-rays for the cardio dr but I have not seen them.  I actually have them on floppy drive, I will have to see what areas they x-rayed.

I am not sure what else they could do, I guess it could be cancer, but I am not putting him through a scope to find out. He has been through enough.The cardio said he may have a urinary issue, but he isn't in pain and is passing urine just fine. 

I will wait to hear from my vet tomorrow and see what she says about the cardio results and go from there.  I am positive this is not his IBD.

He has never slept like this and he is not eating enough to survive for long, but at least he is drinking, and that is the very important right now.  '

I am dumb founded, right now I am just keeping him warm, fed and watered and spending as much time with him as I can.

Thank you everyone for helping me try to figure this out.  You all have been very kind, and it is obvious that you all totally understand the bond I have with my baby. 

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry this is happening to your special kitty.  Get a second opinion.  If possible at a cat only clinic.

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would look at a vet school. I say that because my feline only vets were not as up to date.

iluvcats4ever

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good news...Munchkin woke me up meowing for food this morning!!!  I have been sleeping with him since Thursday so I was right here and he woke me up!!! He has eaten more this morning than he has for the past four days!  He also went and drank and used the litter box!

He is laying back down now, but at least it is something.  I don't know if he is better or just rallying for a while, but regardless I am very happy.

I sure wonder what the heck is going on. 

One thing I know for sure, is I am going back to his first vet 16 years ago, and am going to try to get records from the ones that have them.  The vet he is at right now is his fourth vet in 16 years.  We had to change when we moved to different parts of the state.

Thank you for all the good wishes, I think it helped and I hope we are on the way back to being healthy.