17 weeks old kitten has reduced appetite

DimanaRay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, my kitten Louie is 17 weeks old and 2.6kg. He has always had a great appetite mostly eating RC wet and dry food (half a can mousse or 1 pouch wet food + 30g kibbles per day). 5 days ago he suddenly refused his usual food and only ate half of it. I brought him to the vet who had to remove a milk tooth fragment from his gum.He had a general anaesthesia and no side effects. The same evening he ate a lot. The next day and since then, it has been 3 days already, he has no appetite, he doesnt go near his bowl, I have to bring it to him every couple of hours to feed him a little.Still he probably eats 70% of what he would normally eat. He eats the dry food from my hands as he finds it hard to chew or take the kibbles with his mouth. He drinks water, no vomiting, no diarrhea, he has no behavioural changes or anything. The vet saw him yesterday and said he hasn't lost weight, has no fever etc. Is that normal for kitten who are teething? Should i get bloodwork done just to be safe? How to make him eat again, I already tried cheaper brands and he didn't like them. Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DimanaRay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been giving him his fav dry food today, 6 or so small portions throughout the day and some RC mousse. he does eat when I bring him the bowl. What he doesn't is going to his bowl. It is as if he got to be reminded that it is meal time. It started less than a week ago when he got his milk tooth extracted. Is that a phase, him growing up or something else? I am working from home currently so I got the time but when I am away for 8h he should be able to eat alone :/

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's why i was thinking about using the glop, that it might remind him and entice hin that food is good enough to get up for.

If this behavior continues, you'll want to talk to your vet.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been giving him his fav dry food today, 6 or so small portions throughout the day and some RC mousse. he does eat when I bring him the bowl. What he doesn't is going to his bowl. It is as if he got to be reminded that it is meal time. It started less than a week ago when he got his milk tooth extracted. Is that a phase, him growing up or something else? I am working from home currently so I got the time but when I am away for 8h he should be able to eat alone :/
I don't remember my cats, as kittens, having such a tough time with teething...except I do remember that one previous kitten would chew everything, he could get his mouth on...(he was like a little shark)...so yes, I guess they do have teething pain and sore gums until their permanent teeth come in.

Here are a few interesting articles to read, with photo and diagram:
Persistent Deciduous Teeth (Baby Teeth) in Cats
The Tooth Fairy comes for Kittens too! - Killarney Cat Hospital

That is so interesting that your kitten Louie, will eat when you bring him his food, ..but not actually go over to his bowl.
I do wonder if he's still in a bit of pain...from maybe another tooth coming out...or maybe just a bit more sensitive on his gums.
Can you open his mouth and look at his teeth and gums for any redness, or double teeth?
You mentioned that he has no diarrhea...but does he have any constipation? Do his stools look normal?

Could you possibly try to entice him to come over to his bowl and eat, by placing some tuna in his bowl,...or the smelliest wet cat food that you could find...to at least get him over to his bowl. Does he like any type of pure bite cat treats....where you can place them near his food bowl. (though, maybe they might be too hard for him to chew on, at this time.)
Can you try some kitten glop to hopefully get him started eating on his own again?

Here's a recipe;
What To Feed - Kitten Rescue
(That is such an interesting formula for kittens. (I'm just surprised about the mayonnaise in it, since I always thought that was for salads, or sandwiches. Wow.)

Another thing you can try, DimanaRay DimanaRay ...is that the above kitten glop recipe...said that it could be 'frozen' into ice cube trays and then defrosted...so maybe the 'frozen defrosting cubes' could be given to Louie to help soothe his sensitive gums. Worth a try if he likes it. Or any other type of soft mushy kitten food, that can be frozen...and shaved down into ice.

But yes, like Furballsmom said...if his behaviour continues, ...then asking your Vet about his teething time, and what you could do about it... or if he perhaps could have gotten a sore throat,... if they had to use a breathing tube while he was under anaesthesia (not sure if they insert that that or not),... might answer some of your questions.
I hope your Louie gets over whatever he has quick.

DimanaRay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's why i was thinking about using the glop, that it might remind him and entice hin that food is good enough to get up for.

If this behavior continues, you'll want to talk to your vet.
I will give it a try. In fact we will be going back to the vet on Thursday. We are regular customers now 😂

DimanaRay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't remember my cats, as kittens, having such a tough time with teething...except I do remember that one previous kitten would chew everything, he could get his mouth on...(he was like a little shark)...so yes, I guess they do have teething pain and sore gums until their permanent teeth come in.

Here are a few interesting articles to read, with photo and diagram:
Persistent Deciduous Teeth (Baby Teeth) in Cats
The Tooth Fairy comes for Kittens too! - Killarney Cat Hospital

That is so interesting that your kitten Louie, will eat when you bring him his food, ..but not actually go over to his bowl.
I do wonder if he's still in a bit of pain...from maybe another tooth coming out...or maybe just a bit more sensitive on his gums.
Can you open his mouth and look at his teeth and gums for any redness, or double teeth?
You mentioned that he has no diarrhea...but does he have any constipation? Do his stools look normal?

Could you possibly try to entice him to come over to his bowl and eat, by placing some tuna in his bowl,...or the smelliest wet cat food that you could find...to at least get him over to his bowl. Does he like any type of pure bite cat treats....where you can place them near his food bowl. (though, maybe they might be too hard for him to chew on, at this time.)

(That is such an interesting formula for kittens. (I'm just surprised about the mayonnaise in it, since I always thought that was for salads, or sandwiches. Wow.)

Another thing you can try, DimanaRay DimanaRay ...is that the above kitten glop recipe...said that it could be 'frozen' into ice cube trays and then defrosted...so maybe the 'frozen defrosting cubes' could be given to Louie to help soothe his sensitive gums. Worth a try if he likes it. Or any other type of soft mushy kitten food, that can be frozen...and shaved down into ice.

But yes, like Furballsmom said...if his behaviour continues, ...then asking your Vet about his teething time, and what you could do about it... or if he perhaps could have gotten a sore throat,... if they had to use a breathing tube while he was under anaesthesia (not sure if they insert that that or not),... might answer some of your questions.
I hope your Louie gets over whatever he has quick.
The vet was saying they gave him an injection so no breathing tube. 😳 I am starting to think it is more psychological. Yes i try to sit next to his bowl when I give him his wet food. Different story with the kibbles. Weirdly enough he has no problem chewing them. Yes he bites on anything really, including my fingers😁 He has no constipation either and uses his litterbox twice and more per day.
We are going back to the vet on Thursday, hopefully they have an idea on what's happening and will check his gums/ teeth again. Unfortunately I have never heard of a shrink for cats, maybe he needs one. 🤣

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet was saying they gave him an injection so no breathing tube. 😳 I am starting to think it is more psychological. Yes i try to sit next to his bowl when I give him his wet food. Different story with the kibbles. Weirdly enough he has no problem chewing them. Yes he bites on anything really, including my fingers😁 He has no constipation either and uses his litterbox twice and more per day.
We are going back to the vet on Thursday, hopefully they have an idea on what's happening and will check his gums/ teeth again. Unfortunately I have never heard of a shrink for cats, maybe he needs one. 🤣
Lol...sorry that last line has me in stitches. :lol:
I really hope it's just kitten teething and he will get over it with time.
It's really good that you are keeping a close eye on him...and making sure he eats well.:thumbsup:

He sounds like a typical kitten...except for maybe training you to 'sit next to his bowl'.
That part sounds like he is super smart. 🤔😸
Try putting his food on different types of dishes, and flat plates. It may make it easier for him to pick up. Experiment a bit.:bluepaw:

Can we see a photo of your teething kitten?

DimanaRay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah lets hope it is him behaving like a typical teenager. He absolutely refuses wet food except for the RC mousse which is for babies lol. I don't mind feeding him just dry food bc he drinks lots of water. It is just unnatural considering in nature feral cats eat meat and not kibbles. He is going to get neutered end of March, he just started his 18th week now.

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah lets hope it is him behaving like a typical teenager. He absolutely refuses wet food except for the RC mousse which is for babies lol. I don't mind feeding him just dry food bc he drinks lots of water. It is just unnatural considering in nature feral cats eat meat and not kibbles. He is going to get neutered end of March, he just started his 18th week now.
He looks gorgeous. :cool2:
He looks like he has big paws...but it might be the angle. Wonder if he will be big.
Is he chewing on his collar in that first photo?? lol. :blush:

Ah, yes, it does sound like a typical teenage cat.

(My cats refuse to eat any type of wet cat food...unless it is pate.
No shredded, no grill, no chunks....It has to be pate. And they were born outside...so I always have to remind them...that I am pretty sure that real wild cats don't have the 'pate option'...out there.:crazy: They don't care, ...they have me trained, too. :biggrin: )

DimanaRay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He looks gorgeous. :cool2:
He looks like he has big paws...but it might be the angle. Wonder if he will be big.
Is he chewing on his collar in that first photo?? lol. :blush:

Ah, yes, it does sound like a typical teenage cat.

(My cats refuse to eat any type of wet cat food...unless it is pate.
No shredded, no grill, no chunks....It has to be pate. And they were born outside...so I always have to remind them...that I am pretty sure that real wild cats don't have the 'pate option'...out there.:crazy: They don't care, ...they have me trained, too. :biggrin: )
His mom is british shorthair and his dad is russian blue. I think he is gonna be quite big. He was 5.73lb last week. I dunno if that's a lot or normal for his breed. But it was really sudden, he used to bedmg for food a week ago. 🙄

DimanaRay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep that's him chewing on his collar 🤣🤣 Seriously, he is very cuddly and not too wild. The only problem he got is with food right now. Wondering if things will change once he gets neutered end of the month 🤔 First time cat mom here, I grew up witu dogs, never had issues 🤣

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
His mom is british shorthair and his dad is russian blue. I think he is gonna be quite big. He was 5.73lb last week. I dunno if that's a lot or normal for his breed. But it was really sudden, he used to bedmg for food a week ago. 🙄
Cats do a lot of growing in the first year and a half...so I guess time will tell.
The good thing is that you noticed that he was eating less.
(I grew up with cats, ...but only notice things that are obvious. Like if they stop eating.
I should pay more attention.:idea:)
Yep that's him chewing on his collar 🤣🤣 Seriously, he is very cuddly and not too wild. The only problem he got is with food right now. Wondering if things will change once he gets neutered end of the month 🤔 First time cat mom here, I grew up witu dogs, never had issues 🤣
You're doing great, for a first time cat mom.:thumbsup:

And yes, once Louie gets neutered ...he may calm down a bit.
Not much, ...since he is a kitten...and still will be very playful....but as he gets older...they do calm down.
You end up missing the 'kitten crazies', though. :jive: :jump:
They grow up too fast. :)

(But I think you might be forgetting the teething stage in puppies.:D That was ten times more rougher, ..than with kittens.
Don't you remember all the chewing that puppies/dogs do? :lolup:
My dog, when he was a puppy...would try and bite my ankles, pajama pants, and anything he could...while teething, too.
I think I lost a few pairs of shoes and slippers, too.

I always, always had to have a 'dog chew toy'...handy...to place it into his mouth.
Thank god, that it doesn't last forever.:eek2: :jawdrop::lol:)

DimanaRay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hopefully the vet can recommend a descent wet food brand, I dont mind if it is a pate as long as he eats. Louie is just like a dog but with smaller teeth, he chews on everything including my hands and arms. Yes I remember - puppies and teething but they never had a lack of appetite unless they were sick.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully the vet can recommend a descent wet food brand, I dont mind if it is a pate as long as he eats. Louie is just like a dog but with smaller teeth, he chews on everything including my hands and arms. Yes I remember - puppies and teething but they never had a lack of appetite unless they were sick.
You're right, ..as long as he eats.
Not sure about Vets recommending a good wet food brand...unless you ask them to recommend something outside of what they only sell inside their vet clinics. I always ask what they feed their own animals...and if I could buy it outside of a vet place. Plus look at the ingredients, too. Vets do have critical care A/D food, and various sorts, for cats will illnesses, but I don't think your Louie has that.

Oh, if Louie does chew on everything, ...then you might have to look for some 'cat chew toys'.:bluepaw:
Though, I don't remember if they have any good ones at pet shops...they just would sell me small dog chew toys...and I'd use those for a while.

You definitely have to get him to stop chewing on your hands and arms.:think:
Try to get some really good 'cat wand and teaser toys', too,...and only allow him to chew and play with those, with supervision, of course.
No playing with hands, arms, feet allowed.
Only with toys.
17 Best Toys For Lazy Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Amazon.co.uk : kitten teething toys

Homemade Puzzles - Food Puzzles for Cats

DimanaRay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You're right, ..as long as he eats.
Not sure about Vets recommending a good wet food brand...unless you ask them to recommend something outside of what they only sell inside their vet clinics. I always ask what they feed their own animals...and if I could buy it outside of a vet place. Plus look at the ingredients, too. Vets do have critical care A/D food, and various sorts, for cats will illnesses, but I don't think your Louie has that.

Oh, if Louie does chew on everything, ...then you might have to look for some 'cat chew toys'.:bluepaw:
Though, I don't remember if they have any good ones at pet shops...they just would sell me small dog chew toys...and I'd use those for a while.

You definitely have to get him to stop chewing on your hands and arms.:think:
Try to get some really good 'cat wand and teaser toys', too,...and only allow him to chew and play with those, with supervision, of course.
No playing with hands, arms, feet allowed.
Only with toys.
17 Best Toys For Lazy Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Amazon.co.uk : kitten teething toys

Homemade Puzzles - Food Puzzles for Cats
Unfortunately they only sell Hills and RC there.. And he stopped eating RC chicken in gravy, tbh I haven't tried it but it doesn't smell that nice 🙄He doesn't look sick at all, not sure he would need prescription diet..

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately they only sell Hills and RC there.. And he stopped eating RC chicken in gravy, tbh I haven't tried it but it doesn't smell that nice 🙄He doesn't look sick at all, not sure he would need prescription diet..
Same at our Vet's place, too, and I'm not too interested in any type of food that lists corn, in the first five to ten ingredients...and then charges major money for it.
(Having said, that, though,...my previous rainbow cat Spotty had CKD and HCM...and the Vet, at the time, recommended Hills K/D, which he did eat from age 14 yrs to age 15.5. I did try other foods as well, listed on Tanya's website, which he seemed to enjoy a bit better.)

For your kitten Louie, maybe you can find a kitten food that's similar in texture to his RC mousse, or whatever wet food he's on, and that has good ingredients. Then get plenty of flavours and different types to keep a good rotation going.
Though, him being so young, ...you could probably try so many different textures, too.
I guess you'll never know until he tries it. That's the hard part...trying to guess what our cats will like.:stars:

Hopefully, you can find some good honest online reviews, look up the ingredients...and then ask your Vet.
(I do like the catfooddb dot com site, because it has a search feature, but I haven't been on it in a while.)

DimanaRay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we went back to the vet, no inflamation, nothing out of the ordinary, he is 6 pounds now at 18 weeks. His lack of appetite is definitely not healthy related. I am starting to think he is scared to eat in case he gets tooth pain again. He doesn't understand the bad milk tooth is removed already. Changed the place of the bowl but not much improvement. Still need to bring it to wherever he is, then he eats, reluctantly but eats. Definitely psychological. Trying different brands but he rarely eats the wet food, sometimes he licks the gravy/jelly or eats a tiny bit and that's it.
I checked the website you mentioned, I assume you are in US? I am in London UK and I can't find half of the brands here, not even on Amazon. I really hope he starts eating at some point!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking at his photos, above, and that his weight is 6lb at 4.5 months...I honestly think that is a very good and strong weight for a kitten.
I read somewhere on here, but cannot find the post anymore (because I forget to bookmark interesting posts)...that you can go by the month of the kitten...and it equals their weight in pounds...so really...anything over five pounds for your Louie sounds good.
(Remember, too, that after he gets neutered...he may start to get a little more rounder...so you will eventually have to cut back on some calories ..when he is much older...over a year and a half...usually. Again...depending on his activity levels...and play, exercise.)

There is a thing called food aversion...if that is what you are thinking of...in thinking that he won't go up to his cat dish...and eat.
And you are right...that a cat can associate the food dish, area,...or food with actual pain...if that is when he got the pain.
  1. Can you change the type of bowl, too,...and try a flat plate...in case it's whisker fatigue.
  2. Also try putting the wet food in a little plastic zip lock or sandwich bag...adding some warm water...and mushing it up. This works to make the wet food warmer...since some cats hate cold food...and also changes the texture and adds more moisture, too.
  3. Try crumbling some of his dry food...on top of the wet food...as a food topper...sometimes cats who love their dry...will then try out the wet.
More ideas here:
18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members – TheCatSite Articles

I don't think it's really awful for him to eat dry, though, ...if he is drinking water as normal.
As long as he actually is eating...and not losing weight...or acting sick.
....Trying different brands but he rarely eats the wet food, sometimes he licks the gravy/jelly or eats a tiny bit and that's it.
I checked the website you mentioned, I assume you are in US? I am in London UK and I can't find half of the brands here, not even on Amazon. I really hope he starts eating at some point!
I'm actually in ontario, canada...but yes, that website I mentioned is from the US.
I did try to check some UK brands for you...but I am only familiar with some of them...and not sure which ones would be good.

Did you try these sites:
https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/kitten_products/kitten_wet_food
https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/pet...d/best-and-worst-cat-food-brands-aT8nf7v2E1kh

Top 10 Best Cat Food for Kittens in the UK 2021
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wet-Kitten-Food/s?k=Wet+Kitten+Food&tag=

Moggielady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello there. Just wondering whether you have tried the Royal Canin *kitten-specific* wet food? It comes in jelly or gravy. Suitable for aged 4-12 months. It's what my kitten (5 months) eats. Sorry you are dealing with this!