15 year old cat had bumps all over his body

10pmstalker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been getting a few bumps on his lower back by his tail and a few on his stomach. He is always scratching the side of his head. I read it could be fleas so I bought some spray even though I couldnt see any fleas at all, that did nothing. A few weeks later he has more bumps on his back and stomach and is starting to get them on the side of his feet. They are not scabs. When all this started he started peeing on the carpet all the time. We lock him in the bathroom when we arent around to watch him and he always goes in his litter box if theres no carpet for him to pee on. Hes acting totally normal, eats both hard food and soft food every day and constantly drinks water. I am dead broke so there is no way I can take him to the vet. I dont like it but theres nothing I can do about it right now. Any suggestions on what I can do about all these bumps?

Also I forgot to say this all started happening as soon as it was warm enough for him to go outside again. He goes out at night for hours.

Last edited:

dianeandbooboo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is very possible he is having allergies to grass and pollen but given his age he really needs to see a vet.  I realize you said you can't afford to take him in but if you do a search on "help with vet bills" there are groups out there that can and will help you with the cost of a vet visit.  The peeing outside of the litter box is his way of saying something is wrong.  Could it be just allergies, perhaps but it could also mean something far more serious.  You say he drinks water constantly, that combined with his advanced age could mean the beginning signs of renal disease.  Please check out some sites for help with vet care.  He really should be seen.  IMHO, senior pets should be seen every 6 months for blood work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

10pmstalker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply Diane, Very helpful. Does anyone else have any experience with this? Seems to be way more common than I expected when I started looking it up.

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, welcome to TCS! I'm Jen :wavey:.

Anyways, it could be a variety of things. I agree with DianeandBooBoo, senior pets should be seen every six months for blood work. How large are the bumps? Are they red? Does your cat seem to itch these bumps? It very well could be flea allergies. Does your cat venture outside? Or is he strictly indoors? Are you able to get a photo of the bumps?

I found this, which is a vet's reply to a similar question on JustAnswer. The vet advised the person to give the cat half a Benadryl every twelve hours, which could be alright but I wouldn't do it unless you're absolutely sure that it is an allergy.

Here is a very helpful website which describes different kinds of skin conditions and how to treat them. This should help you out a lot and help you to diagnose just exactly it is that your cat has.

But I would still seriously reccomend a vet visit. It's the best way to ensure your cat's health, and rule out serious issues. There are many *pocketbook friendly* ways to see a vet, such as Care Credit.

Hope I helped and all is well with your kitty. Nice meeting you. :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

10pmstalker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply Jen. Some of the bumps are pretty big. about the size of a thumb nail maybe and some of them are much smaller. He dose not itch them at all. I noticed one of the early bumps has scabbed up recently. I cant see the bumps when moving his fur around so not sure if red or not. This has been happening right around the time it was warm enough for him to go outside again. He goes out for hours every night. I have been keeping him in lately. Thank you for the links. I will look them over for sure.

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So he is partially an outside kitty? Fleas could definitely be a problem then. Is he treated with anything to prevent fleas and ticks? He could also be being bitten by something, like mosquitoes...just putting that out there, as your post reminded me of a mosquito bite I have. :lol3: Allergies are definitely a possibility, though.

Try to wash the bumps in cool water and put some hydrocortisone cream on them every couple of hours. Keeping kitty comfortable is one of the most important things. :nod:

Hope all is well though. Were you able to get a picture?

Jen :wavey:

vickerella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Peeing outside the box is either one of two problems...  #1. Urinary crystals or #2. Kidney failure