15 Months And Still Growing?

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alex and Tyler are now 15 months old. I thought their appetites would be decreasing by now but there are days I can’t fill them up. They share 15 ounces of wet food a day (different grain free brands and I know some are higher calorie than others). The wet food is done over 4 feedings a day. Mid afternoon they share 1/4 cup of American Journey kibble in a puzzle feeder. They are not large cats, each weighs about 9 pounds and that weight has been steady for a few months. The vet is happy with their weights, both are healthy. Will their appetites decrease on their own or will I need to limit how much I feed them?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Their appetites should decrease as they get older. 15 months is still fairly young. mine were closer to 3 years before i really noticed a difference. I would just watch them, if their weight is consistent, and in the right range i would not limit their food. If they start packing on some weight, then you will need to re evaluate what and how much they are eating :heartshape:

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine are just about 15 months old and they eat anywhere between 8 and 10 ounces of wet food per day each. They are bigger than your guys. Milo is somewhere between 12 and 13 pounds and buttercup is around 10 pounds. When they were younger, especially Milo , they could plow through 14 or 16 oz of food a day. It was insane. They have slowed down a bit thank goodness. :agree:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our two cats ate huge amounts of food until they were well over two so you may still have a way to go! As duckpond duckpond said, just keep feeding them unless they seem to be gaining more weight than they should and/or (of course) if their appetites diminish. It's great that you're feeding them mostly wet food: it's lower carb and cats seem to self-regulate better with that than dry food.

Not to scare you but our cats are a little over five now and only now have I noticed that their appetites are starting to slow down. They've eaten quite a bit for their size (they're about seven or eight pounds each) ever since we adopted them, scrawny and very hungry at ten months old!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok. Nice to know there are other people whose cats also have great appetites. I guess I should be grateful since there are so many threads about picky eaters.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok. Nice to know there are other people whose cats also have great appetites. I guess I should be grateful since there are so many threads about picky eaters.
Yes! But watch out, too: one of ours got a little picky.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea, it amazes me how cats can be such picky-piggies... lol they whine and whine at you for food, but want no more than a bite of any thing you put down. then they whine and whine for something else:runaround: I love all 4 of mine, but sometimes...:please: my raccoons and opossums eat well.

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This makes me feel better about Azzie. He is 9 months old and 9.5lbs with an absolutely insatiable appetite. He's usually not picky so long as he gets the brand and flavors he likes, but he has his moments! I was banking on him slowing down by 15 months though....yikes.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This makes me feel better about Azzie. He is 9 months old and 9.5lbs with an absolutely insatiable appetite. He's usually not picky so long as he gets the brand and flavors he likes, but he has his moments! I was banking on him slowing down by 15 months though....yikes.
Cats are all different so I'll cross my fingers for you that he slows down at a younger age than our cats did! I'm very glad they're finally slowing down a little -- both in terms of eating a little less and napping a little more -- though it's been hard to get used to feeding slightly smaller portions. Our two are pretty active for indoor cats, by the way, so I just don't buy the idea that indoor cats are lazy! ;)