14 y/o queen lost use of hind legs

vibiana

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't posted here in quite a while. So I am sorry to come dumping on you guys, but I have been in tears all night. I can't sleep and I have to talk to SOMEONE.

My oldest cat, Thisbe, who is about 14 (she was rescued so I don't know for sure, that's just the vet's estimate) lost the use of her hind legs while I was out of town in Nashville this weekend. I live in a 70 y/o townhouse with steep stairs, and she's had trouble navigating them for some time, so spends a lot of time in my middle bedroom (the guest room).

When I found her under the bed and wouldn't come out, I took some food and water in there and moved in a litter box. She ate lying down and seems alert and oriented--but she would only come out for a little while last night.

I called the emergency clinic and of course they wanted me to bring her in right away for a bazillion dollar neurological workup, but I don't have that kind of money. I talked to my best friend, who's a dog breeder, and she advised me to keep Thisbe confined to the room where my other five cats can't get to her and take her to my regular vet in the morning. I'm planning to do this. I cannot sleep, though. So here I am.

Thisbe was my first cat. I adopted (rescued) her six years ago. Since then five other cats have come to join my household. Thisbe is the only declawed one in the bunch (and just to clarify, she came to me that way, I don't believe in declawing) and never got along with the others. There have been many times over the years that I felt bad that she couldn't be an only cat. She doesn't interact well with any human but me, and even me she is testy with at times. She hates going to the vet, hisses and spits and pees all over me when I try and get her in a carrier, and I hate that I have to do that to her this morning but I know in my heart I am taking her to the rainbow bridge. I have been reading stuff on the internet all night about cats who've lost the use of the rear legs and all of them end with "... and we had to euthanize." I'm not putting her through a bunch of tests and suffering just to salve my guilt even if I could afford it, which I can't. I have five other cats to care for and am not a wealthy person.

So I'm taking my baby to sit on Jesus' lap this morning. I hope she understands it's because I love her. Thank you to whoever reads this. I needed to write it.

This is Thisbe.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh hun, I am so, so sorry, a similar thing happened to my mums cat and it turned out she had a stroke, she too went to the rainbow bridge. Its the most heartbreaking thing ever. Please keep us updated and sending you lots of hugs.xx

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vibiana, I am so sorry. This just happened to my Fog cat - just the same age as your Thisbe - who was sent over the Rainbow Bridge yesterday. We also kept him isolated for a few days - I was terrified that he'd hide himself somewhere and I couldn't find him.

Did not get a neurological consult. Our vet said it was just "old nerves." keep him comfortable and when he no longer ate with gusto and gave us that "What has happened to me?" look it would be time. And the time was yesterday.

Do not doubt, Vibiana, that you are doing the right, most merciful thing for your beloved Thisbe.

I will think of my gray Fog, sitting by the bridge, meowing to Thisbe as she crosses over, and the two of them sauntering off together to explore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vibiana

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My baby, my poor precious sweet baby, is home over the Rainbow Bridge. I want to cry forever, but the vet told me I was doing the right thing--that it was most likely either a stroke or a blood clot, and neither of those would have a good prognosis. Thank you for your prayers.

kaiyam230

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for your loss but god bless you for taking her into your loving home, I may not be a vet or some kind of spiritual guru but I can say you did the right thing my loves goes out to you and your kitty.