14 Week Old Kitten Brought Home And Extremely Scared :(

Rufus93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

I just bought my kitten yesterday. A 14 week old male ragdoll. When I went and saw him at the breeder he was very shy and the breeder mentioned that. Then the day I picked him up he was meowing a lot when she was giving me the kitty to put in the carrier. She said he will be very sad for around 4 days. And everything I've read new kittens miss their mum and are sad and meow for a few days. So when I brought him home I opened the carrier in my room the main room he will be staying in and waited for him to walk out. I waited awhile but he wasn't budging so I picked him up and sat him in front of me on the floor. He just sat there shaking and looking at me. Everyone so often I would put him in hi litter tray to see if he needed to go toilet or at his bowls of food and water. But other than that I had him in my arms trying to cuddle him and calm him down.

When I finally decided to call it a night, I put him in his bed and turned off the light. The meowing that I would hear for the next 9 hours began. I brought him up on to my bed and tried cuddling him. He became very squirmy and would always try to get away from me and jump off the bed and race under it. Meanwhile this whole time the shaking hasn't stopped , he looks so scared and I'm sad cause I don't know how to make him feel anymore comfortable.

So throughout the night I would go under my bed and get him and try and settle him and cuddle him and eventually he would just wriggle out and head back to under the bed. He became abit more playful very late st night where he would emerge from under my bed and sniff around the bowls and the toys then he would notice me looking at him or would see me move and sprint back under the bed. So this whole time he hasn't eaten or drank any water and hasn't used the litter tray. The breeder fed him at 3pm and it is now 7am the next day and Rufus will not eat. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm currently trying to stay awake off of probably one hour sleep. Thank you.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello R Rufus93 , welcome to TCS :wave3:

Your kitty is still very new to the house and it's surroundings and it's normal that they hide. It takes time for them to get use to the sights and sounds. Speak to her with a gentle soft voice and try playing with her using her toys. You can also use food to entice her to come out. If she is still hiding, just grab a book and read to her. She has to get use to your voice and presence and once she finds that you are not a threat to her, she'll eventually come out of hiding.
Always try to appear as small as possible by going down on your fours.

Do keep fresh food and water for her away from the litter box. It takes some time and do it with love, patience and maintain the routine.

Feel free to ask questions and do keep us posted and do introduce yourself and your kitty to the community in New Cats on the Block and do post photos of your kitty too :wink:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless him . He's going to he very scared for a while . Are you feeding him the same as the breeder did ? Has he the same litter ? Keep reasuring him and keep him in one room so he's not overwhelmed . Have you named him ?

ch-leesha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted two kittens a few weekends ago and it took the one sister (Mika) nearly two weeks before she wouldn't run away with as little as a glance from me :lol: (her sister was very adventurous and the total opposite)

She still isn't the cuddliest babe, but frequent play sessions with the feather wand seemed to help her warm up much faster. In the earlier days, when she wouldn't even come out, I would lay on the floor with my palms out. Eventually she became curious and came out for a few sniffs :')

It is definitely a process and takes a ton of patience (more than I even knew!) But, of course, definitely worth it :) it sounds from your post that you care a ton, and that's already a place on the right track :hyper:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes it seems counterintuitive, but at least for the first several days (or weeks), it might be best to avoid trying to touch or cuddle him (without his "permission", so to speak): avoid picking him up or getting him out from under your bed unless you need to do so in an emergency (like for a health problem or if he goes more than 15+ hours of not eating). Just make sure he has fresh food at regular intervals, fresh water daily, a fresh litter box -- all accessible to him within the room where he is adjusting to his new home. Spend time in the room with him, quietly talking or moving gently (no sudden moves, etc.) and let him get used to you, your patterns, your smells, your sounds. Shy kitties especially need some space to adjust and feel trust. The meowing is expected, as his living circumstances have changed, and it's also likely he's missing his litter mates. It will take some time! Just let him get more comfortable by allowing him to come out of hiding on his own, once he gains more trust. Too much handling of him could keep him scared, even though that is not your intention! Good luck and keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rufus93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys thanks for everyone's wonderful help. Yes the breeder gave me some food so I've been trying those. He had one little nibble of the food still no water then ran under the bed. I've got the same litter as the breeder he just has not been interested at all in the litter box, it's separated from the food bowls. I'll just let him be all day and read to him or turn the television on low for something for him to listen to and I pray he comes out and gives me a hug cause he is adorable.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's very important that he eats, and --if his food has less water content in general, like if it's a dry food-- that he has access to water. Put food & water very near the place he feels comfortable hiding... he needs to feel secure with the location that his food is in. If you need to place it just under the bed area for the time being, like on a place mat or something, there is nothing wrong with that! He needs to eat, and a lot, since he's a kitten. Once he eats and drinks more, he'll seek out the litter box (if he's litter box trained, that is!). So, put the litter box in a place he feels secure as well -- but away from the food. Maybe set it behind a chair near the bed, and drape a pillowcase or small towel over the chair seat so that it half-hides the litter box and he'll feel secure going to the bathroom there.

Eventually, the food and water dishes can be inched out into the room more, as he gets more secure and brave... same with the litter box (its "towel shield" can be removed if he feels more secure peeing there, etc.) Does that make sense?
:)

Rufus93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you that's a good tip. I've moved the bowls near his little hiding spot under the bed. Its been a long time since he has eaten so he must be starving.

Rufus93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I went to the shops to buy rufus some treats, leaving him in my bedroom alone for the first time. I came home and he had finally eaten his food :) I got under my bed and gave him a scratch for a bit then placed him in the litter tray. From what I can see and smell he still hasn't used the litter box or even gone to the toilet on my carpet since I brought him home yesterday. He walked off from the litter box back to his spot under my bed. He didn't seem to like the treats when I placed them near him. But I'm happy he has finally eaten!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you may have to leave him alone in your room when you put the food and drink out for him until his nerves get better . When you think he has had time to finish food come back in and place him in the litter . Just let him get used to his surroundings and work out your his new furbaby daddy !

Rufus93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another rough night, but he finally used the litter box. I've been sitting near his bowls and he sits on my lap and I hold the bowl infront of him and he eats. But straight after he tries to run away to under my bed. His getting abit braver but like everyone has said it's a process and it's only day three.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Another rough night, but he finally used the litter box. I've been sitting near his bowls and he sits on my lap and I hold the bowl infront of him and he eats. But straight after he tries to run away to under my bed. His getting abit braver but like everyone has said it's a process and it's only day three.
That's good improvement. Sitting on your lap eating :clap:

Keep it up and remember, love, patience and routine rules the day :wink: