13 yr old cat with extra long tooth & very bad breath

cubfanatic23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my 13 year old cat is visiting us from my father's house. One of her upper fangs is extra long, and sticks out of her mouth almost to the bottom of her chin. I don't remember it being like that but my dad says it's been that way for awhile. The cat's breath is the worse thing I've ever smelled - when you open her mouth to take a look inside the smell just lingers in the room. There is some brown stuff around the tooth and dribbling onto her chin. The tooth doesn't seem loose - maybe a little. The smell is so bad my husband can't stand it and says we must be looking at the wrong end of the cat by mistake. I've read that there could be kidney problems or a mouth tumor. But what about the weird extra long tooth? Anyone ever seen that before?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be the extra long tooth has poked a hole in kitties bottom gum and what you are smelling is an infection, or it could be another medical problem. It would be wise to line up a vet visit as soon as possible.

maui

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a cat who had a top fang that hung outside the mouth. Check the kitty's lower teeth -- I think she might be missing the bottom fang as my cat did. . . .for some reason losing the bottom fang can make the upper one hang out.. . . and maybe she lost the bottom tooth since the last time you saw her.

In any case it sounds like she could benefit from a tooth cleaning.