13 year old yorkie dog sick again, any advice when you stop treating and put to sleep?

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hoping someone might have some advice. Everyone was great here helping with my cat. She’s doing great. Mom passed. Dad has been helping with the dog. I’ve taken over a lot of her care. She’s 13. She had an allergic reaction to rabies. 2 weeks later she got sick with gastroenteritis with hematochezia putting the name for those that get queasy. She was possibly starting pancreatitis. The vet kept her. I took her home 2 days later and we did meds. 4 weeks later Well she’s stopping eating again. We’ve spent quite a bit. I’m talking to the vet tomorrow but would love advice. When do you stop treating and let them be put to sleep? Dad is burning out. I’m burning out. I don’t feel we’re getting anywhere. It has been a lot of money. She used to Hoover lint. She was always hungry. Now I can’t get her to eat her food. I can’t leave her to suffer until she slowly starves. Would love any advice. Dad helps but can’t handle this decision. I’m going to need to make it on my own.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First of all, I am so sorry for you loss. :grouphug2:

As to the question, each situation tends to be different.

Sometimes it's when your pet looks at you and you can tell they are just tired. Tired of fighting and trying to get better. Tired of feeling bad and being sick.

Sometimes it is when the bad days out number the good days with no hope for improvement.

Sometimes it is when the vet tells you their advice is to let them go. Although I usually recommend a second opinion.

Sometimes it is when you notice they have lost quality of life. Not grooming, not eating, not able to get comfortable to rest, not able to get into their bed or on their favorite sleeping spot, etc.

Sometimes it is when the illness has changed their personality to the point you don't recognize them and they don't recognize you (adding on terminal illness and no chance of improvement).

Sometimes it is when they still have relatively good quality of life but you have 100% confidence in diagnosis that they have very little time left and it is starting to show signs that it will get bad soon and quickly.

Sometimes it is when the treatment is worse then the disease and doesn't show signs of working.

It's never an easy or simple choice. I've had the one who fought and fought but lost his battle. We let him go when he didn't recognize us because the cancer affected his brain. I've had one I let go on the operating table because the vet said it would only prolong his suffering to keep fighting with very little chance of success. I've had the one where we waited too long and she suffered before we could get to the vet. And of course, I've had those who go quietly into that dark night without even a whisper of why or how before they go. It's more traumatic to wait too long but you'll always wonder if you could have had one more day.

If you are asking the question, have an honest conversation with your vet about options, long term prognosis and treatment options. It helps to have all the facts and make a decision from there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I’ll be discussing with the vet and making a plan.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry I didn't see your thread earlier. Also sorry for what your dad, you and your dog are going through. :hugs: When our last dog became ill we were in denial because we couldn't bear to lose him. We knew there were signs but told ourselves he wasn't ready when in reality it was us who were not ready. We had been in regular contact with our vet since he was on meds and got bloodwork for a chronic illness. They suggested that we bring him in for an evaluation. Perhaps bringing her in for an evaluation might help your dad and you make the decision that is best for your dog. Sending special thoughts to you.:vibes::vibes::vibes: