13 year old Cat Drooling with Fever?

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all. My husband just took our 13 year old cat to the emergency vet. It’s late at night here and I am grateful we have that option. Female, spayed, 13, slightly overweight but no other health conditions. Last check up was 4 months ago, up to date on all vaccinations and teeth cleanings. Indoor cat, but for daily walks on a leash with husband. She does go out on our back porch (enclosed). We have no plants, she was not outside at all today. Her sister is fine. My husband was home all day today. I was at work. I fed her breakfast at 5:00 am her normal wet food which is Earthborn tuna. She had her second meal around 9:00 which my husband fed her also Earthborn dry food. We break the meals up, she loves to eat. He said about two hours later she threw up a massive hair ball. Then was a bit lethargic, I mean she sleeps a lot but she usually asks to go outside but did not. She did not ask for her 2:00 meal. When I arrived home at 4:00 I went to pet her she was awake, she had a small amount of nasal discharge and she meowed at me sort of whined to say I am not feeling well. She did not have a fever then. She did not ask for her 5:00 meal (VERY unusual). At around 7:00 she came and asked for food, I gave her a teaspoon of wet food which she ate and went to sleep. At 9:00 she jumped out of the chair where she was sleeping and had a huge amount of drool from her mouth, it was not foam just thick I could see she was leaving a trail of it. I wiped it and it returned, and returned. I felt her nose it was warm. She was able to walk normal, but lethargic. When we went to put her in the carrier for the vet she did not fight at all. We examined her mouth, nothing, no pain. Any ideas, she was using the litter box normally earlier today.

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She could have a kitty cold and possibly has a sore throat. All of my indoor cats are going through this right now. Or it could be a dental issue that you just can't see.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Is there any chance she got into something toxic? I'm glad your husband was able to bring her to the emergency vet. I hope they do bloodwork and can help her. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey all everything checked out okay, did bloodwork examined her took temperature and she did not have one there. The drooling has stopped as of this am. By the time she came back last night she walked in the door like nothing was wrong. As of this morning she ate most of her breakfast and seems mostly back to normal, other than not eating as much as she normally would. The only thing that is slightly off is she’s a bit needy, which is rare for her, she’s a pretty aloof cat, but wants to be near us and petted. Vet said if anything happens different day to bring her in, but likely the drooling was part of the vomiting or upset tummy. It’s odd though Because she has never had that with vomiting before. The Only time ever we saw that was when we tried to give her Benedryl for a car ride and once she got the tablet in her mouth she started to drool. It’s certainly possible she got into something but what we would not know nothing on the floor that she could reach and she does not jump up high. She and her sister eat the same exact food as well. thanks everyone if anything changes will update.