13 week old kitten Sometimes doesn’t poop in litter box

Bbeecher1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I have a wonderful new f4 kitten. He’s using the litter box most of the time but once a day he poops on the floor or something soft.

We have tried:

multiple litter boxes.
4 different litters. We couldn’t use clay because he started eating it.
We put him in the the litter box on a regular bases. We catch him meowing before he has to go.
we took him the vet for a full health check
We have different sizes of litter boxes not covered and covered.
he’s confined to our master bathroom and bedroom
We work from home so we are with him all day.
We praise him and give him treats when he uses the litter box.
We clean the litter box immediately after he goes.
We don’t use litter with any smells to them.
We can’t use scoop litter because he eats it so we offer his paper litter.

Any suggestions? Or is he so young that it will take time for him to learn the ropes. He started by peeing outside the box but now he’s not doing that anymore. He just poops 1 time a day outside the box and uses it the rest of the day. He does have a small cold and is on antibiotics.

We love him and are devoted to finding a solution!

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You have tried so much!

I know that eating litter can be a sign of anemia, but it sounds like it's prob just a kitten being a kitten sort of thing.

Have you tried Cat attract? You say that you can't do clay litter, but you can buy the herbal attractant separately and sprinkle it over whatever litter he prefers.

Does he try to scratch his poop after he goes on the floor? Is it always in the same spot? Does he ever poop in his box?

What litters have you tried? If there is one that you could get that has a similar consistency to just the regular old clumping litter, that could be helpful. I think sometimes the stuff that resembles sand or dirt is more fun/satisfying to scratch in. I've also successfully used dirt in a litter box before.

Let me know what you think!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bbeecher1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You have tried so much!

I know that eating litter can be a sign of anemia, but it sounds like it's prob just a kitten being a kitten sort of thing.

Have you tried Cat attract? You say that you can't do clay litter, but you can buy the herbal attractant separately and sprinkle it over whatever litter he prefers.

Does he try to scratch his poop after he goes on the floor? Is it always in the same spot? Does he ever poop in his box?

What litters have you tried? If there is one that you could get that has a similar consistency to just the regular old clumping litter, that could be helpful. I think sometimes the stuff that resembles sand or dirt is more fun/satisfying to scratch in. I've also successfully used dirt in a litter box before.

Let me know what you think!
Thank you so much for your post and taking the time to help us! We have not tried cat attract yet. When he poops he does try to cover it. He poops in random places and different times. We wondered if him being on a antibiotic might be part of the issue. The times he poops out of the litter box it’s a soft poop. When he poops in the litter box he has a harder poop. He’s got a upper respiratory probably from stress and so he's on Antibiotics and probiotics. We tried the pine litter that he was used too. The paper pellet litter. We thought of trying grass seed litter it’s very fine and if he eats it he should be okay. What do you think? We also ordered Feliway. He’s a Savanna cat. We’ve had them in the past and our last one taught herself to use the toilet. Funny enough we kept scolding my young daughter for not flushing and found out it was the cat.

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh--the antibiotic-- that might just be it then! I know my dogs are running outside to go to the bathroom more when on antibiotics. How many more days of that do you have?

Wow, a Savannah, so cool:) Does that mean he will be really big then? I'd love to meet one some day. I used to take care of some bengals, and they were amazing. So tiny, but could jump to the top of the fridge like it was nothing.

I haven't tried grass seed litter, but it sounds like it might be appealing for a cat. Hopefully it's just due to the antibiotic, but it might be worth a try.

Toilet training--amazing!! That's the dream, huh?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bbeecher1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh--the antibiotic-- that might just be it then! I know my dogs are running outside to go to the bathroom more when on antibiotics. How many more days of that do you have?

Wow, a Savannah, so cool:) Does that mean he will be really big then? I'd love to meet one some day. I used to take care of some bengals, and they were amazing. So tiny, but could jump to the top of the fridge like it was nothing.

I haven't tried grass seed litter, but it sounds like it might be appealing for a cat. Hopefully it's just due to the antibiotic, but it might be worth a try.

Toilet training--amazing!! That's the dream, huh?
I agree I think once he’s off the antibiotics he will do better. His Dad was a F1 savanna cat. He can stretch out to about 4 to 5 feet. He’s a big cat! Mine will be about double the size of a regular cat. If he’s like my other cat that passed away he should be able to jump about 7 to 8 feet high.Savanna cats for my experience act like dogs. Our old one went on walks and loved to take baths with my kids. She also would go to stores when she was younger. They are very confident cats and not scared of anything. They are a fun bread just kinda expensive for a cat!