12oz at 9 weeks

olga1988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got a kitten yesterday. Lady told me she's tiny but when I picked her up I was shocked . As soon as we got home I weighed her . She is 375g at 9 weeks ans 4 days .
She eats well, playing and seems very happy at her new home .
I'm a bit worried why she is so tiny. Lady I got her from told me a females in litter were small, just one boy was bigger .
We got health check in 2 days at the vets.
Her dad is sphinx. Mum Savannah mix

Should I be concerned? I've read so much on Google now I'm paranoid we will lose her .....
PXL_20221121_195003424.jpg
PXL_20221121_191502413.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, this is very concerning.

Naturally small cats aren’t much smaller than average, if at all, right after they’re born, and certainly not to this extent, and at this young of age - that’s something that becomes apparent when they’re older, not as young kittens.

Are you certain about the age?

Personally, I very much doubt your cat has the lineage you were told. It’s possible, but I think highly unlikely for several reasons, including the fact that reputable breeders virtually always require the cats they adopt out to be neutered. It is also very apparent this breeder herself was not reputable.How much did you pay for this kitten?

Is she eating well? Going to the bathroom normally? Have you tried hand or syringe feeding to coax her to eat more?

So long as everything else seems normal and you focus on feeding her as much and as often as she will accept, an appointment can wait two days while you focus on getting her to gain any weight you can.

At the first sign of any possible trouble though, I would bring her into the ER.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

olga1988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe I shouldn't judge lady I got her from but conditions she was leaving in was shocking . Her brother wasn't that much bigger to be honest .
She is eating pretty well . She is playing a lot but also sleeping a lot. I'm not 100% sure if lady was telling me the truth about her age ... I'm just paranoid now .....

She is eating very well I've just weighed her she put on 18grans since last night . She peeing and had a poo . Playing lovely . I've moved my appointment and going to vets today

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
She not 9 weeks old. The tips of her ears are still slightly furled. What colour are her eyes? Still blue, I'm guessing? I'd put her closer to 4 weeks old. I'm going to move this thread to our Kitten Care forum so you can get some advice from people who breed and regular care for young kittens.

You need to get her on some proper kitten food to make up for the fact that she's lost her mother so young. I suggest you buy some KMR to supplement her diet.

Thank you for rescuing her. Poor little thing, at least she stands a better chance with you then where she was

olga1988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got her the best possible food . I'll go to vets today and give you updated. Thank you

I forgot to add her dad is sphinx and mum Savannah mix. I saw them both and they were both small cats

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good, I'm looking forward to some happy updates.

:heartshape:

Just for reference, here's Frank at four weeks old. About the same size as your girl.

Frank36_R.jpg

He was abandoned by his mother and I had to bottle feed him for the first few weeks. He's now 6 months old, close to 4 kilos and absolutely full of energy. I hope your little one does well too.

Is her name Olga?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with Norachan Norachan . Your kitten is not older than 4-5 weeks, and at one month should weigh about one pound (16 ounces or 453 grams). As long as she gets as many meals as she wants with a high nutritional kitten food (mix in kitten formula to make a slush), she should begin to put on weight. Does she have her baby teeth yet?

I’m sorry for the home she came from — sounds like a “backyard breeder” to me, but grateful you rescued her. Is there any chance you can go back and get her brother also?

Do keep us posted!

olga1988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE FROM VET .

so first vets said she's probably Poppy is around 6/8 weeks
But then investigating her teeth she told me all her teeth are perfect for 9 weeks old kitten.
She said her heart is perfect but has got tiny hernia on her chest .
She then said she recon Poppy could be around 5 weeks old looking at her weight but both of her parents are small so she could also be just tiny kitten . She did say she is underweight.

AS soon as I left vets i contacted the lady I got her from and she promised she never lied about her age and have send me loads of pictures of the day Poppy was born . It did say 15 of September which that's the day she told me she was born. I could clearly see dates of screenshots she send me .

vet said she is generally ok but I need to fat her up a bit hehe

she was 370g when I got her yesterday. She is 402g as I'm writing it so hopefully I'm doing her good .
I need to go back in 3 weeks unless she will get weaker or won't gain any weight

To be honest I did think about getting her brother straight away but my financial situation won't let me . Double vets fees, double insurance fees plus all food (they one I get is not cheap )

I do apologise if sometimes my English doesn't make much sense hehe
English isn't my first language

Vet told me to feed her every 2 hours . She doesn't need kitten milk but I might get her some anyway. She so playful and loving . 24h and I'm already obsessed hehe . She is definitely very very loved

She doesn't stop eating hehw
PXL_20221121_125100677.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
She's such a little sweet heart. I'm so glad you rescued her.

Small kittens do very well in pairs, especially if they've been separated from their mothers too early. We usually recommend that kittens stay with mum until 12 weeks old, so even if she is closer to 9 weeks it's a bit early for her to go to a new home. (I'd still say she is a lot less than 9 weeks, but never mind.)

Having her brother around would help a lot with her behaviour and development, but I do understand it is very expensive to care for a kitten. Just wondering if you told the lady you got her from that she has a hernia and is underweight she would be willing to let you take her brother for free.

Sorry, I don't mean to pressure you. I do understand how difficult these situations can be. The main thing is that Poppy is in a safe, loving home now.

Please keep us updated.

:catrub:

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The fact that Poppy is gaining weight so well with you makes me very suspicious of the breeder.

At my local shelter there's a kitten who's about 8 weeks who weighed only 360g a few days ago, so I do believe it's possible yours truly is 9 weeks old. In our case, the mom cat is extremely skinny because she came from a very impoverished area, so all her babies were smaller than average. Then 3 of them got sick suddenly. 2 died, the third was reduced to fluff and bones. She looks a lot like your kitten.

So that yours is gaining well with you now makes me think she was being starved before (along with the parent cats). It's also possible that she was sick before at some point.

It sounds like you're doing everything right, so I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep weighing her regularly, and watch out for any diarrheoa, vomiting, lack of appetite or lethargy. As long as she's active and eating, she'll probably be just fine. You've likely saved her life though, so thank you for taking care of her and loving her!

olga1988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I won't be able to take her brother even though I would really want to . Financially I won't be able .very unfortunately.
I believe she is just small as both of her parents and small cats plus on the top of it she didn't get enough food and nutritionals

I'll keep you updated
I really appreciate your messages . Thank you for all kind words

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Fantastic good gain. You had got good respones, among other from HeyCat whom I agree with the analysis.

I just want to add, goats milk is a very good supplement, and cheaper than both kmr and the so called kitten milk.

olga1988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didn't know that x thank you I'm on my way to get goat milk 🍼

olga1988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've got a feeling she wasn't take care off at all. Looking at the gain over last 48hrs (13%of her weight) says it all .....today she has been so playful. Chasing me around the house .
She was attacking my socks then run away hehe

Thank you for all king words I'll keep you updated

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's wonderful news! Poor little thing was probably so hungry. If her parents were small and possibly malnourished she wouldn't have been getting the proper nutrients right from birth.

Not sure where you are, but most countries have pretty strict animal welfare laws. Do you think the cats were in a bad enough condition to report this matter?

You can do this online, over the phone and anonymously in most cases.

Report Cruelty | RSPCA

It's your call, of course, but if the cats were kept in shocking conditions and are being bred indiscriminately it would be a good idea to let someone know.

olga1988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So house I've picked her up from was extremely dirty. There was Poppy's parents, her brother and another cat . 2 very very young children. It was extremely dirty . I don't want to be judgemental but I would let rats leave there let alone kittens and children! It was very very smally . Cats poos on a floor .
I've spoke with vets about it and she said I can raport her but as she probably isn't a registered breeder there is not much they can do .
I do believe Poppy was just neglected. Girl probably wasn't even checking if Poppy and her brother got enough food .
I was close to reporting her but to be fair if I contact RSPCA would be only fair to report her to children services too cause no kid deserve to live in conditions like this .

Poppy is very happy girl. She is very very cheeky
Love her so much
She is my main focus now and I hope she grows into strong and healthy kitty