12 year old foster cat peed in carrier, now what?

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I was taking in my 12 year old foster cat in for a check up for the first time since getting her. They told me to bring her in when meds were done, and today was the check up. Well, she peed in the cat carrier on the way home, and now the carrier lining is wet (I wasn't prepared with puppy pads or anything, but NOW I will be in the future), but the bigger problem is that she's all wet on her underside, and smells of urine, and every time I try to get near her with a warm washcloth or anything, she runs away or under the bed....

Do they have such a thing like "kitty cleansing cloths", or similar? Something that I could wipe her down with quickly without traumatizing her? She also has cancer, and still is "sensitive" from her spay a couple of weeks ago, so I was just looking for a hopefully quick and/or easy solution. I'm fine with washing my shirt, the bed sheets, the cat carrier lining and anything else she comes into contact with while she's still damp BUT how do I get her clean? (And I don't think a bath is going to work)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have used the GNC brand hypoallergenic, unscented wipes on Feeby's behind when she wasn't cleaning herself well enough. It was enough to clean the area and removed the 'poop' smell, and they weren't overly wet. I got them at my local PetSmart, if you happen to have one nearby - you could check their web site (along with any other local pet stores) to see if they carry them. It might also help to ensure they don't feel cool when you take them out of the packet. Maybe you will have to do multiple wipe sessions over a longer period of time instead of trying to tackle it all at once.

Hopefully, other members will come along soon with additional suggestions for you to try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK, thanks! Looks like my PetSmart carries several brands of "cat wipes" so I'm going to make a trip out this afternoon and get some. Some odd notable behavior, she's drinking a TON since she got home from the vet (may or may not be pee related), and even though she's exhausted (I can tell), she's crouching down low instead of full laying down -- perhaps because her underside is still kind of wet and it's uncomfortable.

At worst, I'll just have to wash everything on the bed tomorrow -since she's confined to my room, and it's the only place she sleeps (not on the floor or anywhere else), then that makes cleaning it up a little easier, instead of worrying about the carpet, etc.

thanks for the reply!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The drinking could be related to a lot of things - knowing the results of whatever tests the vet ran when she was there might give you a clue if there is another reason. Just make sure she is eating OK!

Just to help with the possibility that she might be feeling a bit uncomfortable being damp, get some absorbent towels and lay those underneath her to help absorb the urine, and replace them frequently.

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The drinking could be related to a lot of things - knowing the results of whatever tests the vet ran when she was there might give you a clue if there is another reason. Just make sure she is eating OK!

Just to help with the possibility that she might be feeling a bit uncomfortable being damp, get some absorbent towels and lay those underneath her to help absorb the urine, and replace them frequently.
Ok, thanks! So the vet didn't actually run any tests - she was just there for a "recheck", and the vet said she looked great. She's actually laying down fully now, so I think she was damp and uncomfortable, but now that she's dry, it's ok. I did end up getting some wipes, not the brand you mentioned, but another one that a worker there recommended - I did some minimal wiping down when we got home, but I think I'll have to do multiple, shorter wipe-sessions over the next few days like you mentioned (which is fine).

Thanks for all your help!

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Keep us posted - I have a soft spot in my heart for older kitties (like mine)!!
This morning is much better, she barely smells at all! When I would hold her last night, I would grab a wipe and just "pet" her with it, so I used a few wipes at different times during the evening, and that seemed to work well. I also bought a brush and brushed her a few times and that seemed to help also.

How old is your kitty?