12 year old cat with lung cancer throwing up everyday

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It has been 3 days and he usually throws up in the middle of the night. When I check, it is usually brown liquid with some hairball. Then he throws up a bit more and it is white bile or clear liquid.
Our regular vet is in lockdown and is doing consultations by phone. My DH will call but he might not get through as today is Monday and normally, a super busy day for our vet.
So I thought I would ask here and hopefully get some answers.
The cat (Biscuit) is on homeopathic medication and has been taking these meds since he was diagnosed with lung cancer. He has also been eating the same food since then (without any issues). He eats only wet food and some raw.
I tried to give him some salmon oil or coconut oil but he won't come near that. I thought if it was a hairball, the oil might loosen things up.
He does have an appetite and wants to eat but he is eating differently now. He used to scarf down his food in one sitting but now he nibbles a bit and about 1-2 hours later, eats a bit more and so on. All this suggests he may be having some intestinal issues.
I have ordered a probiotic for him and I hope that helps. I can't take him to the vet due to our being on lockdown right now.

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, I am so sorry to hear about your kitty. :hearthrob:Unfortunately I just went through this process with my baby.
Not sure if it started in the intestines or lungs but he lost weight rapidly and began throwing up liquid frequently. I fed him a combination of dry and wet. He stopped eating his dry food all together. I ended up having to switch to a few different brands for him to stay eating. For him, the Sheba perfect portions were the best way to go. Because he still rarely finished his portion, I’d have to hand feed him with a spoon to make sure he got most of it. He had digestive issues throughout his remaining months. We gave him cerenia, and an appetite suppressant cream that went on the inside of his ear, cbd, b12, and miralax and of lacutose.

You could try a limit ingredient food for the sensitivities. Or a meat baby food to entice him. (This did not work for me but I’ve heard it work for some) and it has to just be the plain meat ones, no fruit.)

When was he diagnosed?
Wishing you all the best. This time is so hard. I know. My thoughts are with you and your kiddo. My guy was almost 13. ❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am so sorry about the loss of your cat baby. They are so precious to us.
I will try feeding only raw although that is difficult at this time when food (especially meat) is scarce. Panic buyers tend to empty out the shelves before I can get there. Sigh!
He won't touch the baby meat food. Tried it this morning. He is nibbling at his regular food though so I am taking that as a good sign.
DH will try calling all day and hopefully, we will get through to the vet.
Biscuit was diagnosed with lung cancer 3 years ago. They said he had 2 weeks to live at most. And here he is, trucking on. I got a lot of info. on this site and thank each and every one of the contributors.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh dear. My heart is with ALL of you. If he won't touch the baby food, I'm out of ideas. I am so sorry. We go on lockdown ourselves here at 5 PM today, but in our state, veterinarians are considered "essential businesses," along with human doctors. All I can do is light a candle for you and Biscuit. Consider that done.

00LitCandle.jpeg

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Holy moly 3 years? That’s amazing. My baby only had 3 months after we found it. I had to make a tonight decision when we rechecked his scans as it noticeably gotten worse to put him down before he suffered too badly.

Have you had any recheck appointments regarding xrays?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No recheck appointments. He gets very very distressed visiting the vet or anywhere outside the home. We asked our vet and he said if he was healthy and behaving normally, we should just keep doing whatever we were doing.
And yes, he plays and snuggles just like before but he is slower. His appetite has decreased unless he smells chicken. Then, it's game over. He also wrestles with his live-in cat friend and chases him around once in a while. So, I think he is as normal as could be for a cat in his situation. He is our miracle.
DH got through to our vet and we will take him on Wed. if he doesn't get any better.Apparently, that constitutes an emergency and we can visit the vet for that during this lockdown.
He has already shown improvement today on a mostly raw diet with coconut oil. He ate it all eventually and now we will monitor through the night. I have just ordered some elm bark which is supposed to help with cat throw up. We'll see if it works.