12 Week Old Kitten Question About Medication

Mim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good morning, my 12 week old kitten, B, has some bathroom problems. We got her and her sister at 9 weeks and noticed that she was not gaining weight and her stools were loose/liquid. She had two tests for worms but both were negative. Vet put her on dewormer, sulfadimethoxine and pyrantel, along with a vitamin supplement. She has been on them for almost 7 days, I have seen an improvement in her stools, but she still has diarrhea. It could be mixed with hard stool or just a small amount on its own. This morning there was a small amount of mucus in it, but she wasn't able to make it to the little box in time. After I saw that I placed her into the litter box and she had a hard stool right after. The vet recommend Royal Canin baby cat for her. I know that it isn't grain free but I'm trying to help her. It has been 16 years since I've had to deal with a kitten, any info would be helpful. Thank you!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
plain canned pumpkin can help with poop issues-it is in the baking lane. only need a teaspoon for full grown cat so probably cut it to 1/4 teaspoon. Have kitten lick off spoon or mix in wet food. Some cats love it. Some HATE it. if they hate it-I do the smear trick-smear on roof of mouth followed with something tasty they like. It usually works in 12 to 24 hours.

olive oil in formula helps constipation-probably don't need it now-but good to remember in future.

probiotics also help- there's some made for cats but plain yogurt is a good alternative instead of powders and pills. maybe the meds messed up the gut flora.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I think I will try Probiotics. She hates pumpkin, but this morning after I posted this I put her in the litter box and she made two, small, hard poops. I have this :Tomlyn Immune Support L-Lysine Powder Cat Supplement and also Vet's Best Hairball Relief Digestive Aid Cat Supplement. I wasn't sure if she was able to have any of that, but she had rice before and loved it. I do feel I should get her a probiotic for sure.

Oscar&Copper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was having the same issue in my kitten, we did all the normal de-worming plus additional de-worming, plus stool samples to check for parasites and giardia. Samples were negative and the de-worming had no effect. Vet put him on probiotics and anti-biotics. Within 2 days of starting his bm was perfect. Not enough time for the antibiotic to work so it had to be the probiotics that did the trick. He's on a 2 week cycle of them and then I'm going to stop and see if his gut has started to regulate itself without supplement.

Mim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think she was, but they have another vet appointment in the next week so when they go then I will get another sample and make sure. She was going to the bathroom all the time with horrible gas, now she isn't going as much and it is getting more solid...

Mim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, she threw up last night so i think the medication is making her constipated. I did not find any poop this morning but she is perky and happy.

Mim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will try that when I get home, along with the pumpkin. I believe the meds are working, but causing her to be constipated. Adding more water with her food also going to try helping her poo.

Mim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will post a picture as soon as I get home! I'm going to give my cat some pumpkin and also some oil that was recommended the vet is going to see her Thursday and thinks this might do the job. I'm also going to attempt to help her go to the bathroom when I get home like I said but I'm not quite sure how much of the oil and pumpkin to give a 12 week old kitten

Mim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, so I am home and gave her the oil and a small amount of pumpkin. I can tell she has poo close to coming out because her little butt hole isn't closed all the way. I am going to try and help her go, is it safe to help her?