12 Week Old Kitten Developing slowly?

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
43756617-8719-4C87-B8EB-B7F457867E43.jpeg
So I’m not sure if I’m just worrying too much or not, but I have some fosters right now, a momma and 4 kittens. Kittens were born on the 20th of June and are 12 and a half weeks old.
At around 4-5 weeks old the kittens got sick, we lost three (litter was originally 7 kittens) and two of the 4 that survived got really sick. Momma has mastitis and passed the infection onto her kittens and had to be separated. Scorpion and Dragon are the names of the two that really got it bad. Scorpion recovered quickly, Dragon took a while to recover.
Scorpion and the two other kittens are all the same size, they run around and play and it’s like none of them were ever sick.
Dragon is still significantly smaller, he seems to be developing slower. He doesn’t play as much as the rest, he’s still fairly wobbly and just seems off but he eats, drinks, uses the bathroom, plays occasionally and snuggles just fine. He really likes to grab our fingers and clean them, it’s weird. He looks like he should be 8 weeks old not 12 almost 13 weeks old. He’s a good kitten but he went from this needy kitten who wouldn’t stop meowing for attention and his baby food to an aloof kitten.
Is this just because he was sick, since he stopped getting milk so early maybe his development is delayed from being sick so long? I’ve never really had a problem like this before.
He also has issues with his skin, he has patches at his nose and on his feet that I put Vasaline on. He’s seen a vet once but the rescue I foster for apparently doesn’t think it’s a problem still.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just...watch him for now. Or IF you can manage to cover vet bills, have him seen by someone you trust. It may be that he's just going to be a very late bloomer, due to the sickness. It could possibly be that the infection and fever left him with some mild neurological issues. If that's the case, he'll probably be fine, just "different," and will need exactly the right family to help him along. He's a real cutie, and I am utterly kitten-smitten!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just...watch him for now. Or IF you can manage to cover vet bills, have him seen by someone you trust. It may be that he's just going to be a very late bloomer, due to the sickness. It could possibly be that the infection and fever left him with some mild neurological issues. If that's the case, he'll probably be fine, just "different," and will need exactly the right family to help him along. He's a real cutie, and I am utterly kitten-smitten!
It definitely seems at times there’s something neurological going on,especially since he just doesn’t act like all the others.He really is a cutie and we babied him a LOT when he was sick. Unfortunately I don’t have money for vet bills and I’m worried because I’ve had such a terrible experience with this rescue I’m nervous he’s going to go to the wrong home. If I didn’t already have 7 cats I’d be adopting him myself! I’m keeping an eye on him and when they see a vet I’ll make sure to let them know about his “problems” I’ve been noticing

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All you can do really is ALL you can do. I have a feeling that he'll be OK, overall, within his little limitations...or at least I HOPE so. I've seen stunted kittens like this, post-severe infections, who were never quite normal, but who led happy lives, some of them quite long. Crossing my fingers that this is the case with our little Dragon. I'm glad that's his name. Names mean something, and his is very strong.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
All you can do really is ALL you can do. I have a feeling that he'll be OK, overall, within his little limitations...or at least I HOPE so. I've seen stunted kittens like this, post-severe infections, who were never quite normal, but who led happy lives, some of them quite long. Crossing my fingers that this is the case with our little Dragon. I'm glad that's his name. Names mean something, and his is very strong.
Thank you so much for the positivity! He’s been doing well and he LOVES to eat so that’s always good! He really is a special little one!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And by all means, keep posting about him...both the problems AND the triumphs! He's "one of OUR cats" now!