11 year old kitty probably has Pemphigus Foliaceus : (

tamarindo123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone had experience treating a cat w/ Pemphigus Foliaceus (PF)? My 11 year old baby is looking like she's got PF, and I'm v. worried. She had a skin biopsy (they took about 8 diff. samples) last Wed, and so we're just waiting for the results right now. It's been a long year, starting w/ conjunctivitis in one eye that never quite cleared up w/ antibiotics. Then the vet suspected a food allergy, so I put her through 3 full food trials of 3+ months each, but still no improvement.

Since fall, she's been on clorpheneramine (OTC antihistamine). Also went through one round of oral prednisone, which stopped her itching but didn't improve her skin allergy symptoms. Kept patiently going through the different food trials (as I couldn't afford the intradermal skin test or the blood test, which, I was told by the vet, wasn't v. accurate when it came to detecting food allergies but was more accurate in identifying environmental allergies). With a 2nd vet (didn't seem to be getting too much further w/ the 1st vet's practice, tho the vet herself was wonderful and generous w/ her time "off duty"), she was put on an herbal remedy earlier this spring for her skin, which seemed to help some, but then the inflammation came back again. I'd also had her on L-lysine, which I'd come across in my research as having been helpful in cutting down on any flare-up time for cats w/ ocular herpes, which I suspected (and the vet agreed was v. likely) she had, just based on the symptoms our old family cat also used to have), but it didn't seem to be helping any. Had also been grinding up my wheatgrass and spirulina tablets (which I'd been putting in my own green smoothies) and mixing it up w/ her canned food (prior to last fall, I'd only been feeding both my cats what I thought was "quality" dry food, thinking it was healthier than commercial canned food but have since learned that dry food is the worst type of food to feed dogs and cats!). Had even gone to juicing live wheatgrass and mixing it w/ her wet food, but no improvement. Also tried giving her astaxanthin which I take every day (which I read is a recent addition to the group of high quality natural pet supplements, which is nice to see!), but nothing.

In late July, she seemed to be getting worse, so I took her to yet another vet, just for a 3rd opinion (I figured the more opinions I got, the more information I might learn about my cat's possible condition). The vet ended up giving her a steroid injection, which I've since learned is not recommended for cats, as many have developed diabetes from having received the injections. The vet failed to diagnose a skin infection, which vet #2 had picked up on right away. I had to go out of town and boarded my cat w/ them (vet #2) for about 2 weeks. She was put on a course of antibiotics for the infection (cephelaxin). Although she'd lost about 1.5 lbs while I was away, the inflammation seemed to have improved, and she had both eyes wide open, was perky, alert, and seemed to be on the mend (she'd already been losing some weight before I boarded her, just noticing how much smaller her frame seemed to me when I held her). I was hopeful that she was finally going to start getting better. But just 4 days back at my place, the inflammation came back, and it seemed to come back w/ a vengeance. I was shocked at how rapidly her condition was deteriorating. Crusty head got crustier, flaking off, dead skin that had been sloughed off during a medicated bath while she was boarded, which had started healing, had gotten dry and flaky again, excessively started to groom herself on one shoulder area, creating a bald patch and exposing pink skin underneath, losing fur around her face....some kind of skin issue btwn her toes on her hind legs, which were also getting skinny from grooming, lost fur under her tail which was getting skinnier, fur on nose started disappearing, revealing raw and exposed skin. Watery eyes, constantly shaking her head. Had also been sneezing. I was afraid she was deathly allergic to something at my place, and that reintroducing her to into this environment had caused her immune system to flare up a hundred-fold. Desperate to get her out of a possibly toxic environment, I had her reboarded at the vet's w/ the hope that since she'd shown signs of improvement while there for 2 weeks, that she would improve again, and that her condition would stabilize. Meantime, any improvement would then prove there was an environmental allergy going on (she'd already been switched to hypoallergenic food by this point). She'd also been given a stronger, 2nd course of antibiotics when her skin infection wasn't clearing up. She'd also been put back on oral prednisone (2 weeks ago) to help calm the inflammation more, but nothing seemed to be working. Her immune system seemed to be ravaging her. The vet's office advised that she may need to go see a vet dermatologist for more specialized diagnosis and treatment. I called for an estimate but couldn't afford their fees for a basic initial consultation (was quoted $300-600), let alone an intradermal skin test, which is several hundred dollars itself. I went ahead w/ a biopsy, as they were now concerned that it might be an autoimmune disease, such as pemphigus, or cancer. Or it could still be a severe allergy. Waiting on the biopsy results now, but after having read up on pemphigus and seeing photos and videos on YT about other cats w/ PF, I have a bad feeling that she's got PF. Also concerned that, if she does have PF, that it may have been "accelerated" when she was put on the cephelaxin, which, I read, was one of the drugs commonly associated w/ drug-induced PF. Not sure what class of antibiotics the 2nd course was in, but maybe at least the cephelaxin might have been like adding fuel to the fire, bc she went downhill so quickly from her most recent round of antibiotics and now.

Anyway, this is all speculation based on observation and research. Was told that the biopsy results could take anywhere from 3-7 days, so am on edge waiting. Meantime, been to the vet's to spend time w/ my sweet baby every day (not wanting to take the risk of her worsening back at my place in case there's also an environmental allergy component to her illness). Knowing that she's all alone in a kennel and probably feeling lonely and miserable is killing me : ( I'd visit her again tomorrow, except they're closed on Sunday, so will have to wait again til Mon. to see her.

Does anyone have any experience w/ a PF diagnosis and treatment? From what I've read, it seems like the only way to go is w/ a heavy, heavy dose of prednisone (and sometimes an antibiotic at the same time to stave off any infection bc of the immunosuppresant nature of steroids). I've tried all known natural ways to boost one's immune system (which have also been shows to help do the same in dogs and cats), but none of them seemed to have any effect. With the exception of coconut oil, which I got the chance to try the night before I reboarded her last week. Gave her 1 teaspoon, mixed in w/ her wet food. The next morning, while her outward symptoms still looked awful, her energy level perked way up, which gave me hope. I've since dropped off my jar of coconut oil (which I also used to put in my green smoothies) at the vet's and have asked them to start mixing it in w/ her food (got the vet's ok to do this in conjunction w/ her current meds). I read about the health benefits of coconut oil for pets on Dr. Karen Becker's website (she's the vet affiliated w/ Dr. Mercola). Amazing health benefits for humans, too.

With this latest and rapid deterioration in her condition, I was v. concerned about the quality of her life but have been hopeful for 2 reasons - that she once markedly improved during the 2 weeks while she was boarding w/ them while I was out of town (but then rapidly declined 4 days after coming back home w/ me, which made me initially suspect an environmental allergy - possibly to dust or mold that's invisible to me), and then also bc when I've been visiting her while she's re-boarding w/ them, despite her horrible outward appearance which instantly make you concerned about how miserable she must be feeling, she seems alert, curious, wanting to explore the exam room, nudges against me w/ her head even w/ a cone on, wants to get her belly rubbed even despite having crusty fur and fur loss on her belly as well, still as affectionate as can be. Not lethargic, no loss of appetite (she's still got a v. healthy appetite and loves to chow down her food (and would eagerly wait for her sister to finish eating and move over to her dish to eat leftovers)... and yet she's lost another pound or so since last week). Today, the lining around her originally affected eye seemed to have improved to a pale pink, as opposed to an inflamed red. She was also perkier and even more curious today, exploring the exam room, checking everything out, stepping w/ her front paws onto the low windowsill ledge to peek out and spy on cars going by. So I feel like her life force energy is still strong, that she still wants to live, play, explore, snuggle. As long as I get that sense from her, I don't want to give up on her.

loveburmese

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure if you are still checking this site, but I just came across your post. My cat has been living with PF for about five years now. I hope your kitty is doing well. Its very hard to find other people who have cats with this auto immune disease, i think alot of it has to do with most vets have no clue what it is when you bring your cat in. I went through nine vets before my baby boy was diagnosed

bonnie smith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my kitty cowboy began showing severe symptoms of pemphigus a little over 2 years ago.  He has been on a 2x/day dose of steroids ever since.  He is due for a yearly visit next month.  Last year (after a year on steroids), the vet did a full checkup, and found he was doing great while on the steroids.  For almost 2 months, we took him off steroids and tried a homeopathic remedy.  It did not appear to work at all for him, so the vet put him back on steroids.  Other than really cramping our lifestyle (we end up not going places overnight where we can't take him), he seems perfectly healthy and happy. 

male spinster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is an old thread but here's hoping some folks will still read it. I believe my 23 year old Nadine may also have PF. From what I've read it seems likely and I'm waiting on a biopsy at the moment for confirmation.

After reading everyone's post I was wondering about whether the Missing Link supplement would be beneficial to give to a cat with PF. Doesn't improving her immune system potentially mean boosting an overactive immune response that's working against her own tissues, which is the problem in the first place? Excuse my lack of knowledge in this area because I've only started to read on this condition today. Isn't prednisone prescribed to reduce the reaction of the immune system that is causing the disease? In other words immunosuppression is necessary instead of boosting the immune system?

Thanks for reading and thinking about my question. And good luck to all of you and your feline super friends.

Dragynldy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Used clindamycin or cleocin until gone and it went into remission.

helena4cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Puffy now 17 has had pemphigus his whole life. He's now 17. At least 25 vets in 3 different states failed to diagnose it. I found out 2 weeks ago. Multiple rounds of steroids and antibiotics which only serve to bring on a worse attack the next time. All I got was environmental or food allergy diagnosis from vets. I cannot believe it! Early diagnosis is crucial. And I was wondering also, as someone else mentioned why would the cat need an immune system booster when it's already over-active and causing the symptoms. He sneezes too. I'm so drained watching him suffer with all the itching, then when he's scratched enough, large open sores. He's lost 4 lbs and is frail. His appetite is reasonable but he's tried to give up eating a few times. I just won't let him. I still have to stay with him whilst he eats, coaxing and praising. It's so sad that all our hard earned money goes to these vets that really don't care. I'm going to a holistic vet next week who claims success in dogs with Pemphigus using Chinese herbs and homeopathic treatments. Her fee is high. The treatments too. She has never treated a cat with it but says it will be the same treatment with a dog. I'm wondering whether to cancel as he's so tired of having supplements and herbs mixed in with his food and pills. I just don't know what to do anymore:(

jne25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Used clindamycin or cleocin until gone and it went into remission.
curious about the Clindamycin as drug to put Pemphigus into remission. my cat is on steroids and Atopica, but hard to get her to take the Atopica

Obediah Kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure if you are still checking this site, but I just came across your post. My cat has been living with PF for about five years now. I hope your kitty is doing well. Its very hard to find other people who have cats with this auto immune disease, i think alot of it has to do with most vets have no clue what it is when you bring your cat in. I went through nine vets before my baby boy was diagnosed

Obediah Kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - I sure hope you're still on here. I would love to know how your kitty is fairing today with PF. My guy, Obediah (aka "Oobie"), was recently diagnosed with this same affliction and I'm frightened. I love the bones of him.

My Veterinarian is wonderful and she suggested a drug other than just the prednisolone to start him off with (being that you have to start with so much pred in the beginning - and as you may be able to see, he doesn't need more chub).

I'm hoping your little one is still doing well coping with this disease.

I hope to hear from you.

All the best,
Margaret & Obediah The Kitty

jeannek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - I sure hope you're still on here. I would love to know how your kitty is fairing today with PF. My guy, Obediah (aka "Oobie"), was recently diagnosed with this same affliction and I'm frightened. I love the bones of him.

My Veterinarian is wonderful and she suggested a drug other than just the prednisolone to start him off with (being that you have to start with so much pred in the beginning - and as you may be able to see, he doesn't need more chub).

I'm hoping your little one is still doing well coping with this disease.

I hope to hear from you.

All the best,
Margaret & Obediah The Kitty
Margaret, I'll share with my experience with PF and my 10 yr old cat. She was diagnosed January of 2018 first by an experienced primary vet; then by the Dermatologist with a skin test. The standard treatment accord to this Derm and the Angel Memorial Hosp of Boston is a steroid in combination with Atopica an immune suppressant. The liquid is expensive, smells bad and tastes bad I imagine. Couldn't get the cat to take with it mixed in everything possible. So we went with an antibiotic(which Ican't recall right now, but it was an injectable). Then switched to Clavamox chewies compounded by animal pharmacist.Steroid is also a chewie compounded by pharm.
Cat was doing well until we started to wean off the steroid and the lesions returned mostly affecting her paws and a couple lesions around neck and ears. After a couple of months under the care of a holistic/homeopathic/accupuncturist, we are off the antibiotic and are currently weaning off the steroid due to elevated
blood sugar. She also takes a Chinese herb in her food and gets accupuncture. so far no lesions since off the antibiotics. the other recommendation from vet was to make a turkey bone broth to improve skin function and put in her food.

Obediah Kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - thanks so much for offering the details of your experience and I will certainly try the turkey bone broth in his food. Unfortunately, I'm not likely to find someone offering holistic support in my neck of the woods. I am going to see if I can locate some immune boosters and, hopefully, they'll help or augment his treatment. I'm not entirely sure what my Vet has planned for him but she has indicated that we're going to try something other than prednisolone right away. It will still be an immune suppressant so I am very concerned. I won't lie, I'm heartsick and haven't slept much since I received the results. Depending on where you look on the net, the glass is half empty or it's half full. I'm trying to gather as much information as I can so I can make informed decisions - and hopefully, they'll be what's best for him. He's a character and there's quite a story how he can to be mine - someday I will post it if I can. I absolutely love him. I hope your little bundle continues to do well. =)

jeannek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - thanks so much for offering the details of your experience and I will certainly try the turkey bone broth in his food. Unfortunately, I'm not likely to find someone offering holistic support in my neck of the woods. I am going to see if I can locate some immune boosters and, hopefully, they'll help or augment his treatment. I'm not entirely sure what my Vet has planned for him but she has indicated that we're going to try something other than prednisolone right away. It will still be an immune suppressant so I am very concerned. I won't lie, I'm heartsick and haven't slept much since I received the results. Depending on where you look on the net, the glass is half empty or it's half full. I'm trying to gather as much information as I can so I can make informed decisions - and hopefully, they'll be what's best for him. He's a character and there's quite a story how he can to be mine - someday I will post it if I can. I absolutely love him. I hope your little bundle continues to do well. =)
If you don't live in an area where there is a holistic vet; you can get a list of practitioners from the Holistic Vet association. You might find a Qigong practitioner who works on people and ask them if they would work on your cat. one of the energy healing modalities like Reiki or accupuncture. good luck

Obediah Kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much, I will see if that's a viable option for us. I'm willing to look at anything that will help my little guy. Please let me know how your fur-baby is in the future. It's good to know what others are doing and where they find success.