11 weeks old kitten has severe diarrhea since 2 - 3 weeks. Please Help

Dheeksha

Black Cats are full of love ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lucky is having severe diarrhea for the past 3 weeks. It is very smelly. She is 11 weeks old and not gaining much weight. But she's eating good. She weighs only 2.5 lbs. The vet told me to administer 0.25 ml of an anti- diarrheal syrup ( levofloxacin 100 mg/5ml, ornidazole 200 mg/5ml) twice daily for 5 days. But there was no improvement. I feel like she is not even swallowing the medicine and spitting it out. There is thick foam around her mouth everytime. As the dosage is very less I think she is spitting it all out. Or the medicine is not working at all. I contacted another vet.. he told me to Administer ofm syrup ( ofloxacin 50mg/ 5ml + metronidazole 100mg / 5ml) 0.5 ml twice daily for 5 days. I'll give it from tomorrow onwards. I'm giving her probiotics too. Should I deworm her now? Vet told me not to deworm her until her diarrhea is resolved. Her mother Pinky is having pot belly and I think she has parasites. She was never dewormed. She is 1 year old. She was a stray before. She's still nursing. I want to deworm her. But all the cat deworming tablets in my country are having very high doses I don't know why.. Everyone is recommending me to give kiwof cat dewormer 1 tablet. It has pyrantel pamoate 230 mg. It is too high for a 3.5 kg cat. Right?

Last edited:

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Food allergy? The Rogue was like that. He got diarrhea from cooked poultry.
What are you feeding her? Try raw food - should be easy since she is so young. (The Rogue did fine with anything raw, including poultry)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you seeing any evidence of worms in either the mom or kitten? I've never hard of waiting for diarrhea to subside before deworming since worms are often the CAUSE of it. If you don't get rid of them, then how can the diarrhea go away? Of course, it's not always worms that cause it :frown:

It very well be that you weren't able to get enough of the first medication in her to work. Let's hope the 2nd one works better. I know one of those medications in it is bitter, though, so will probably cause her to froth and drool when given. Can you try to give it in some very stinky food, or does it say to give without food?

As far as the dewormer goes, did BOTH Vets say to wait? According to this site Kiwof for cats Praziquantel 20mg+Pyrantel Embonate 230mg 4 Tablet, one tablet is fine for a 3.5 kg cat. I'm guessing that's Pinky?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! i can't speak to the dewormer, but it sounds like you've been given some ideas above to try. What kind of treats/foods do you have to try to administer the meds in? Can you get any kind of baby food meat (I only know of Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut, both of which have no real additives like garlic/onions)? If not that, can you get canned tuna or chicken in water? The meds can be mixed with the tuna or chicken 'juice', and a bite of the meat can be given afterward as a treat. These things have worked with meds that Feeby foamed at the mouth with when trying to give them to her without mixing them with something first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you seeing any evidence of worms in either the mom or kitten? I've never hard of waiting for diarrhea to subside before deworming since worms are often the CAUSE of it. If you don't get rid of them, then how can the diarrhea go away? Of course, it's not always worms that cause it :frown:

It very well be that you weren't able to get enough of the first medication in her to work. Let's hope the 2nd one works better. I know one of those medications in it is bitter, though, so will probably cause her to froth and drool when given. Can you try to give it in some very stinky food, or does it say to give without food?

As far as the dewormer goes, did BOTH Vets say to wait? According to this site Kiwof for cats Praziquantel 20mg+Pyrantel Embonate 230mg 4 Tablet, one tablet is fine for a 3.5 kg cat. I'm guessing that's Pinky?
I saw a worm in Pinky's stool when she was pregnant. But didn't deworm her thinking it might be dangerous to deworm her then. Two vets told me to not deworm the kitten. But the third vet said to do it. But he stressed on giving metronidazole first. He thinks it is a protozoal infection. I don't know whom to believe.
Yes it was that tablet but isn't 230 mg for a 3.5 kg cat is too high? I have seen some reviews that their cats got sick after administering it. So I didn't dare to give it to her.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Food allergy? The Rogue was like that. He got diarrhea from cooked poultry.
What are you feeding her? Try raw food - should be easy since she is so young. (The Rogue did fine with anything raw, including poultry)
There's a bird flu outbreak in my country. So I can't give my cats raw or home cooked food. I'm feeding them commercial food only. I'm giving her a mix of farmina wet & dry chicken & pomegranate.

Last edited:

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there! i can't speak to the dewormer, but it sounds like you've been given some ideas above to try. What kind of treats/foods do you have to try to administer the meds in? Can you get any kind of baby food meat (I only know of Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut, both of which have no real additives like garlic/onions)? If not that, can you get canned tuna or chicken in water? The meds can be mixed with the tuna or chicken 'juice', and a bite of the meat can be given afterward as a treat. These things have worked with meds that Feeby foamed at the mouth with when trying to give them to her without mixing them with something first.
I'm giving her the meds through syringe. Today I'll mix her medicine in her food and see if she eats it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I use the Kiwof tablets for my cats. I break it in half and give one half first and the other half one week later for an adult cat. For a kitten, I would break it into quarters and give 1/4 and another 1/4 one week later. Go ahead and treat both of them now for worms.

Has a vet run a fecal test? What color is the diarrhea? Is it runny brown or bright yellow?

Dheeksha Dheeksha

Last edited:

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use the Kiwof tablets for my cats. I break it in half and give one half first and the other half one week later for an adult cat. For a kitten, I would break it into quarters and give 1/4 and another 1/4 one week later. Go ahead and treat both of them now for worms.

Has a vet run a fecal test? What color is the diarrhea? Is it runny brown or bright yellow?

Dheeksha Dheeksha
Lucky's stool is kind of Runny brown but her mother's is normal. They didn't do a fecal test. But I'll ask them to do it.
Regarding the deworm tablet. I read that typical dosage of pyrantel pamoate for cats is 20mg / kg which means a 3.5 kg needs only 70mg. Kiwof has 230 mg per tablet. 115 mg is also overdose no? I'm sorry I'm asking this because I don't know. Another vet told me to administer 1.5 ml of nemocid syrup. It has pyrantel pamoate 250 mg /5ml. And 0.5 ml for the kitten. But he said it won't be effective against all kinds of worms. So I'm confused what to use.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The Kiwof has pyrantel pamoate and praziquantel in it, so treats several kinds of worms. The Kiwof is a mild tablet and I’ve not had a problem with any cat I’ve given it to. I have ten cats.

Runny brown stool may clear up with metronidazole, which treats intestinal parasites and intestinal bacteria, among other things. Worms and parasites are not the same, but both can cause intestinal issues.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Kiwof has pyrantel pamoate and praziquantel in it, so treats several kinds of worms. The Kiwof is a mild tablet and I’ve not had a problem with any cat I’ve given it to. I have ten cats.

Runny brown stool may clear up with metronidazole, which treats intestinal parasites and intestinal bacteria, among other things. Worms and parasites are not the same, but both can cause intestinal issues.
My kitten's diarrhea has been reduced. Her metronidazole 5 day course has been completed. But she still has mild diarrhea. I gave her stool sample for test. Her stool has tested positive for ova of Ascaris roundworms. The vet said she has roundworms in her stomach and her stomach is bloated. He told me to give 1/3rd tablet of kiwof cat. I'm scared to give that high dose to a 1.3 kg kitten. Can I give her 1/6th of the tablet? Which means 38 mg of pyrantel pamoate. Will it work? I read the safe dosage of pyrantel pamoate for cats is 20 mg / kg. I gave her mother little less than half tablet as per your advice. But the kitten is too young.. only 12 weeks old and 1.3 kgs. I feel really scared to give her 1/3rd of the tablet.