11 week old kitten peeing outside box

charley_d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi friends!
I’m having a bit of an issue with my 11 week old male ragdoll, Meatloaf.
To my knowledge he was litter trained by his breeder, but since getting him, I’ve noticed that he sometimes pees outside the box. 90% off the time, he pees in the box. He eats well, drinks lots of water and is active and growing. He has a checkup on Monday, but he doesn’t seem to be in any pain or anything.
Is it possible he’s still learning the ropes? He always poops in the litter, and does sometimes go pee in the box. We use Swheat Scoop litter because my other cat has asthma so we want to avoid clay. There’s two litter boxes, and it only seems to be one he pees outside of.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi friends!
I’m having a bit of an issue with my 11 week old male ragdoll, Meatloaf.
To my knowledge he was litter trained by his breeder, but since getting him, I’ve noticed that he sometimes pees outside the box. 90% off the time, he pees in the box. He eats well, drinks lots of water and is active and growing. He has a checkup on Monday, but he doesn’t seem to be in any pain or anything.
Is it possible he’s still learning the ropes? He always poops in the litter, and does sometimes go pee in the box. We use Swheat Scoop litter because my other cat has asthma so we want to avoid clay. There’s two litter boxes, and it only seems to be one he pees outside of.
Perhaps you should Check out the offerings of the Dr. Elsey's brand . Chewy carrys this brand. For the kitten they have a "Kitten Attractant " litter. Dr. Elsey's also makes a litter for cats with health issues.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
How many boxes do you have for him? Some kittens, like young kids, wait till the last minutes to decide they have to go and then it is too late. So multiple boxes in including one in the area where he spends a good deal of his time may help him use a box consistently. You also want to make sure you use an enzyme based cleaner on those spots where he as peed so the scent doesn’t bring him back to them. Normal household cleaners won’t work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charley_d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How many boxes do you have for him? Some kittens, like young kids, wait till the last minutes to decide they have to go and then it is too late. So multiple boxes in including one in the area where he spends a good deal of his time may help him use a box consistently. You also want to make sure you use an enzyme based cleaner on those spots where he as peed so the scent doesn’t bring him back to them. Normal household cleaners won’t work.
Thank you! I have one in my guest bathroom and one in the living room (where he spends most of his time). I do think some of it is to do with "oh my gosh, gotta go" because he'll get close. Also, some of the litter is always scattered on the floor, which I think is attracting him. I will pick up an enzyme cleaner, thank you for that tip.

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I have one in my guest bathroom and one in the living room (where he spends most of his time). I do think some of it is to do with "oh my gosh, gotta go" because he'll get close. Also, some of the litter is always scattered on the floor, which I think is attracting him. I will pick up an enzyme cleaner, thank you for that tip.
I would try adding some more boxes around the house--maybe some small kitten sized boxes while he is still learning. It sounds like he is just figuring things out, but if the problem persists, let us know!

charley_d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would try adding some more boxes around the house--maybe some small kitten sized boxes while he is still learning. It sounds like he is just figuring things out, but if the problem persists, let us know!
Thank you, I will definitely try that! I’ve got myself all worried that he has some sort of health issues because I lost my older cat suddenly in January. My anxiety has skyrocketed because of that. Just this morning the little guy had some bright red blood in his stool. Any experience with that? And could that be related to him peeing outside the box at all or am I digging myself into a hole?
He has vet appointment Monday, so I’ll bring it up then as well.

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long you have him ?? He is 11 weeks and even if you got him today he is too young to be away from mama. That is telling about breader… no disrespect! Blood is never good or okay. He probably needs deworming However get him to the vet. please!!! Oh ,and we loooooove pictures!

sunny578

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I will definitely try that! I’ve got myself all worried that he has some sort of health issues because I lost my older cat suddenly in January. My anxiety has skyrocketed because of that. Just this morning the little guy had some bright red blood in his stool. Any experience with that? And could that be related to him peeing outside the box at all or am I digging myself into a hole?
He has vet appointment Monday, so I’ll bring it up then as well.
I'm so sorry about your older cat:( You could give the vet a call about the blood, but it's probably nothing serious.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Blood in the stool can be caused by many things, but food changes can affect a cat's digestive system in a manner to cause some blood, especially if the food change was quick vs. gradually changed over time. You could take a stool sample to the vet ahead of the appt. and have them perform a fecal PCR test which looks for various parasites as well as bacterial/viral issues. Just call the vet and ask if the stool sample would be a good idea and what would be the best test to perform due to the presence of blood. If a food change was done, the vet may tell you to go back to the old food or wait a few days to see if it stops on its own. Generally, stool samples can be taken straight from the litter box (litter included) and placed in a bag and refrigerated for a number of hours if you can't get the sample to the vet right away.

I doubt the peeing issue is connected to the bloody stool, but that is another question to ask the vet when you call to ask about testing the bloody stool.

As I am sure the vet will tell you, keep your eyes out for other negative changes such as inappetence, lethargy just to name a couple.

charley_d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long you have him ?? He is 11 weeks and even if you got him today he is too young to be away from mama. That is telling about breader… no disrespect! Blood is never good or okay. He probably needs deworming However get him to the vet. please!!! Oh ,and we loooooove pictures!
I am concerned he was taken from mama too young as well. I didn’t have an overall great experience so I just wanted to get him out of there. He was 8 weeks when he came home, so I know that was too young but I’d already made deposit etc. He supposedly had one worming but it’s not listed on the health record I got from the breeder. He is otherwise healthy, alert, playful and happy. The only two issues are the blood in the stool and the going outside the box. Like I said, he is going to the vet Monday, but I also have horrible anxiety about him and I’ve convinced myself he has some sort of internal issue. I should mention his diet has not been consistent since I’ve brought him home. He stopped eating the kitten food I had bought him three days ago and will only eat Fancy Feast. I’m wondering if all of this change affected his tummy?

Attached is the little devil himself.

Attachments

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wet food changes ussually don’t cause issues. Once they try fancy feast they never go back to healthy wet food! 🤦🏻‍♀️ Never ever let kittens try fancy feast unless you are prepared to feed fancy feast wet food for their entire lives!

You can try adding some Gerber baby food cereal (unflavored) to his wet food if he has the runs. Or cooked extra mushy rice you squish into his wet food with a fork.

charley_d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
just an update - called the vet, who said that he isn’t SUPER concerned about it as he’s eating, drinking, playing etc. He believes it’s parasites, and that basically he had a little blood vessel open because of the irritation. he compared his little intestines to our nose, and how thin and close to the surface the vessels are. he gave me his number as he’s on call all weekend and said he’d personally see him Monday.

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am concerned he was taken from mama too young as well. I didn’t have an overall great experience so I just wanted to get him out of there. He was 8 weeks when he came home, so I know that was too young but I’d already made deposit etc. He supposedly had one worming but it’s not listed on the health record I got from the breeder. He is otherwise healthy, alert, playful and happy. The only two issues are the blood in the stool and the going outside the box. Like I said, he is going to the vet Monday, but I also have horrible anxiety about him and I’ve convinced myself he has some sort of internal issue. I should mention his diet has not been consistent since I’ve brought him home. He stopped eating the kitten food I had bought him three days ago and will only eat Fancy Feast. I’m wondering if all of this change affected his tummy?

He is beautiful, you going to have so much fun with your redhead !!! Lovely

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm surprised that the Breeder would release a kitten to their forever home so young. Was this kitten from a Registered Association Breeder ?

dli2509

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did this get resolved? We're in a similar situation with an 11 week old as well. Thank you!

sunny578

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did this get resolved? We're in a similar situation with an 11 week old as well. Thank you!
How many boxes do you have? Some kittens need more than others to maintain good habits. Always good to check in with your vet too in case it's health related.

charley_d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It did! I think he wasn’t properly trained when he came from the breeder.
I was also using sWheatScoop and I Don’t think he liked it much. I changed back to clay, and started putting him in the box after every meal and when he woke up from naps and I was home. It took work but he’s fine now!