10yo cat head shaking, darting off abruptly, acting strange but NO ear scratching

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is acting very strange and it’s worrying me - i do have a vet appointment but it’s not until Monday.

So over the last few weeks he has increasingly been abruptly darting off scared and shaking his head a lot at times when we are playing or if he jumps down from something. And this is not normal behavior at all. He may roll around playing with a toy, bounce up, shake his head violently and run away. Stop, shake his head some more, dart off and go hide. Sometimes he will also almost violently start licking himself in the midst of it but not always. And he never scratches his ears. I also noticed tonight (it happened 3-4 times while trying to play with him) that he was kind of smacking his lips after as though he has just eaten - even though he hadn’t.

At first I thought he was maybe scared of the toy even though we have used it before - then it started to happen at times we were not even playing. One time when he jumped down from my chair he just stood there and started shaking his head and acting odd in his movements, then darted off. Another time he came into the kitchen and it was an odd light set-up I had, a combination of lights on and off I almost never have - and he did it right then and there for no apparent reason. He was acting very odd at that episode.

Notes:
- So far only happening in the evening or at night
- He is eating normally
- When inactive, he never does it. Just walking around or sleeping it never happens.
- A couple weeks ago I accidentally hit him with Da Bird toy in the head but that has happened before and not very hard. He seemed fine after and I THINK he started acting weird before that incident.
- He likes to lie on my chest and have me rub his ears. About a month ago he was really leaning into me rubbing one ear and I was pushing back some as he really seemed to be liking it but he abruptly jumped off and was shaking his head like crazy for a little while. I’ve done the ear rub thing a bunch of times with him and that has never happened before. I’m really scared maybe I hurt him somehow or damaged something???? 😟 The events slowly seemed to start happening after but I can’t remember how closely after.
- A few weeks ago, around the time this started happening also, he was sneezing a lot for a few days but that hasn’t been going on for a few weeks.
- I noticed a chunk of hair laying on the floor yesterday which was odd. He doesn’t usually pull hair off from himself.
- During 2 of the incidents only he was looking all around between shaking his head like he was seeing things that weren’t there. Like his head was moving as though he was following a bug or something but no bug.

All I can think of - any thoughts? I’m scared!

Last edited:

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
it was definitely not anything you’ve done. If you tap your skull, the frontal, and sides which extend to the back of the ear and the entire area under your crown are solid. Cats have the same bone structure, it would take considerable force to damage the brain and inner ear. Does his ears smell or producing any dark specs, that would indicate possible ear mites?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update - this morning I notice he’s now just shaking his head a bit without any stimulation. He isn’t darting off or acting weird in any other way but is doing the head shaking

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This sounds exactly like my cat who has fhs
I was wondering about it - what did they do for treatment and did it work? The only thing that makes me unsure watching a video about it they didn’t mention all the head shaking and they did mention is just happening randomly to cats when they are laying down or something and that hasn’t happened with him. Has almost entirely been when he makes some sort of motion. Although this morning is head shaking some without any stimulation

Last edited:

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it was definitely not anything you’ve done. If you tap your skull, the frontal, and sides which extend to the back of the ear and the entire area under your crown are solid. Cats have the same bone structure, it would take considerable force to damage the brain and inner ear. Does his ears smell or producing any dark specs, that would indicate possible ear mites?
No smell or dark spots, just checked right now

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update - this morning I notice he’s now just shaking his head a bit without any stimulation. He isn’t darting off or acting weird in any other way but is doing the head shaking
That sounds promising!

Watch him
closely as the day progresses, & keep a detailed journal of exactly where he is & exactly what he's been doing up to the occurence of each symptom. It sounds like his behavioral symptoms are being triggered by something he is either coming into contact with, or possibly just coming near (thus the situations when he is symptom-free when not near the offending substance). . . . Also note the time's he's eaten & what, & where he is + what he was doing just prior to him being symptom-free. (Dr. Becker points out that it can be triggered by various things, different for each cat.)

Just for example, maybe a room deoderant, or other chemical . . . cleaning or otherwise . . . Perhaps it's residue in the carpet or upholstery, or something like that. (i.e.: cleaning chemicals OR mold: when a carpet is steam cleaned it can develop mold if not thoroughly dried out afterwards, or if the padding got soaked in the process (it will never dry out). Or it might be something imbedded in clothing or furniture fabric when purchased (like they put fire-proof stuff in baby-clothes, & formaldehyde esp. in natural material to keep it from breaking down, etc.). . . .

The area where he's been prioir to & during symptoms needs to be thoroughly investigated for possible triggers, IMHO.

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Exactlye when he eats and what he eats should also be in the journal, as symptoms can be triggered by something in what they eat.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If it is possible that he will not display any symptoms in the vet's office, have a video with you...or a few. I had a cat with FSH and there are medications for serious cases. Chelsea, however, went into the classic mode where the eyes became big and dark, she did not recognize me, and began to go after her tail. She was violent enough that I could only break her out of it by using a pillow or other object to touch her to make her stop.

The desire to have the ear rubbed might indicate something going on inside the ear which is not to say that he could not have FSH and another condition like an inner ear problem.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi

also noticed tonight (it happened 3-4 times while trying to play with him) that he was kind of smacking his lips after as though he has just eaten - even though he hadn’t.
Another time he came into the kitchen and it was an odd light set-up I had, a combination of lights on and off I almost never have - and he did it right then and there for no apparent reason. He was acting very odd at that episode.
If this were me, I'd ask the vet about his ears, even his eyes, why he was sneezing, whether this could be related to a neurological issue or his auditory system somehow, and if it's possible he's in pain since he runs and hides.

As you're talking, try to avoid pigeonholing it into something like fhs so the vet isn't distracted by that thought at the outset. Getting videos is excellent advice.

Last edited:

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was wondering about it - what did they do for treatment and did it work? The only thing that makes me unsure watching a video about it they didn’t mention all the head shaking and they did mention is just happening randomly to cats when they are laying down or something and that hasn’t happened with him. Has almost entirely been when he makes some sort of motion. Although this morning is head shaking some without any stimulation
Humphrey is now on gabapentin, this drug does wonders. He doesn't have these FHS episodes anymore. Humphrey also does the head shake. Maybe not to the same degree as what you are describing but he definitely does that. He also does the lip smacking even when he didn't eat anything (this was all before he was medicated)
He also doesn't have ear mites as he's entirely indoor and totally up to date with his treatments. His symptoms sound a lot like Humphreys tbh. Gabapentin might be a good option for your little one

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Chelsea, however, went into the classic mode where the eyes became big and dark, she did not recognize me, and began to go after her tail. She was violent enough that I could only break her out of it by using a pillow or other object to touch her to make her stop.
Ahhh i remember the big dark dilated pupils, its actually so cute looking but the bolting and sudden-ness of the attacks offsets that cuteness pretty quickly

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That sounds promising!

Watch him closely as the day progresses, & keep a detailed journal of exactly where he is & exactly what he's been doing up to the occurence of each symptom. It sounds like his behavioral symptoms are being triggered by something he is either coming into contact with, or possibly just coming near (thus the situations when he is symptom-free when not near the offending substance). . . . Also note the time's he's eaten & what, & where he is + what he was doing just prior to him being symptom-free. (Dr. Becker points out that it can be triggered by various things, different for each cat.)

Just for example, maybe a room deoderant, or other chemical . . . cleaning or otherwise . . . Perhaps it's residue in the carpet or upholstery, or something like that. (i.e.: cleaning chemicals OR mold: when a carpet is steam cleaned it can develop mold if not thoroughly dried out afterwards, or if the padding got soaked in the process (it will never dry out). Or it might be something imbedded in clothing or furniture fabric when purchased (like they put fire-proof stuff in baby-clothes, & formaldehyde esp. in natural material to keep it from breaking down, etc.). . . .

The area where he's been prioir to & during symptoms needs to be thoroughly investigated for possible triggers, IMHO.
while I’ve been hesitant to conclude it’s FHS tonight has been the most convincing. I actually saw his skin twitching and spasming, then he started shaking his head, then frantically licking his back, then he took off running. Happened a couple times.

He seems to do it more in the spare room where I play with him or when he’s been on the outside balcony. On the outside balcony I got a new welcome mat he likes to scratch and lay on. Then in the spare room there have bee 3 things changed over the last month when symptoms stated: A Hamilton Air Filter plug in, new cat litter and a new steel litter box. Before he had plastic box. Wonder if it could be any of these things.

I also bought a Feliway dispenser and had that plugged in for about 3-5 days in that room. It’s the first time I tried one and I remember he started doing this shortly after so I threw it out after about 5 days since I was wondering if it was that. All 4 things happened at once though the Feliway, Hamilton filter, new litter and new litter box.

He’s been sniffing the floor WAY more than he used to I’ve noticed that also. but I got rid of the feliway about 3 weeks ago now. Wonder if I should clean the carpets. And I wonder if it’s one of the remaining items instead.

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I appreciate everyone’s help I will update as things continue. Vet appointment on Monday.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor kitty! Just catching up on this thread! I have never heard of FHS (which is why this site is so helpful) but o my it would seem there are so many things to cause it. Agree w/ Kommunity Kats, a list will help a vet, and will give you something to focus on, between now and Monday. Please do keep us updated. I hope you both get relief soon. The only time my cat has ever been twitchy is when the winter air in the heating ducts dries out the room. I added bowls of water on top of the ducts and he stopped acting itchy, and it helped me too.

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:

Snuffy had his vet appointment today and the vet also says FHS - but she wants to try something more mild first before giving a neurological agent. Gave me some treats called VetriScience Composure feline formula anyone gave any thoughts or experience with those? Seem to have a lot of things in them

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:

Snuffy had his vet appointment today and the vet also says FHS - but she wants to try something more mild first before giving a neurological agent. Gave me some treats called VetriScience Composure feline formula anyone gave any thoughts or experience with those? Seem to have a lot of things in them
I haven't tried those but I have tried something similar (less potent though, by the looks of the summary for your product) Buy Vetalogica Tranquil Formula For Cats Online | Better Prices At Pet Circle
Let us know how those go because I feel like the gaba is quite intense on humphrey and would prefer either a lower dosage or something likewhat you've just shared

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
L theanine is the principle calming ingredient in the product that your vet offered you. Usually these products contain that amino acid, B vitamins, or some probiotic along with other ingredients. I do understand you vet trying this before moving to gabapentin which can be quite sedative.