10days Old Kitten. Open Mouth Breathing No Distress

jessmatt355

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello everyone. I’ve never done something like this before but I was hoping someone can help me.

I have A 10day old kitten that every once in a while opens his mouth Almost to yawn or a cry but there’s no sound comes out or Sometimes he makes a “huhhhh” sound. It happens for about a minute or less. And It mostly happens when he’s resting. No distress and when i touch him, he stops. No trouble feeding from mom & no other issues with him. His siblings didn’t make it, one had a cleft palette, but he does not. He is a normal kitten other wise. Eats sleeps, poops and wobbles around.

He’s been to the vet twice. My local vet and an animal hospital. When he’s at the vet he doesn’t do it so they have no idea what it is. I sent them the video but they can’t base anything out that. Too little for oxygen/sp02 readings and xrays. So not much they can do.

Has anyone heard or seen this before or know that it could be?
Please & thank you

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like baby hissing. Most likely something startled him and he's reacting to that. Could be new smells or sounds in the area. Even something as simple as a new lotion on your hands could startle him.

As long as he is eating and gaining weight I'd be comfortable waiting until he's older. Most likely, once his vision is stable he will stop the behavior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessmatt355

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply Kieka!

He does it randomly when no one is by him & in environments that he is familiar with. His breathing changes as well. Its like he almost stops breathing for a few seconds, then gets rapid, then stops and he goes back to what he was doing (most of the time sleeping).

I dont think its him learning to hiss but thank you, I appreciate it :-)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The "baby hiss" is different from an adult cat hiss. Here are some youtube videos of young babies hissing (not my kittens, these are just linked from youtube).

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It may be hissing, and it may also be a sort of smelling... Forgot what its called in english. Its from the Jacobsens organ, in the roof of the mouth...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessmatt355

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you for the replies. I never thought it could be hissing or smelling. This just save me a lot on vet bills because I thought he was sick.

Thank you so much everyone!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I got here late, but my guess would have been babyhiss, too.

BTW, lutece lutece , thanks for posting those videos. I sat and watched them all twice just for the squee of it all.