101 Things That Can Harm Your Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyporker101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm surprised marijuana is not on the list. I've read that it can be toxic to cats.

furry favor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Neither can i see tuna or watermelon. Is watermelon toxic for cats because my cats really like it . And tuna causes diarrhoea for them too

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm surprised marijuana is not on the list. I've read that it can be toxic to cats.
I'm sure it's in this thread somewhere. I probably made the post myself.

Neither can i see tuna or watermelon. Is watermelon toxic for cats because my cats really like it . And tuna causes diarrhoea for them too
Watermelon is okay. Small amounts of course. It's high in sugar, which is not good for cats but a few bits now and then shouldn't hurt. I had a watermelon baby. My Ootay :angel:...watermelon was never safe around her. :lol3:

I wouldn't give a cat tuna. Some feel it's okay in moderation, but I think there's just no point in even getting started with it.

thecloverkelly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aaand Nutmegs, right? My kitten is potty trianed on our humn toilet (in progress actually) so that toilet one... I couldnt close it. :/

crazyporker101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't have any reason to think paper is toxic to cats, however, if your cat(s) have a bad habit of eating things they shouldn't, I would stay on the safe side and just keep it away from them.  

yoohoora

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was surprised about the avocado, but in truth, I don't let my kitties have any kind of human food.  I don't have live plants either. I try to kitty proof the house the way i would child proof. 

sparta05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Alcohol
Because cats and dogs are smaller than humans, alcohol can have a much more deadly affect on them. Dogs are often attracted by the sweet taste of alcoholic drinks, especially eggnog. Even small amounts of alcohol can lead to heart arrhythmias, seizures, coma, and even death.
I find this interesting, of course I'd never give my cat STRAIGHT alcohol as that's completely inhumane! But  I recently dabbled in the product "Calm away" which I purchased at Petsmart... our cat when we first got him just had FAR too much energy even for a kitten, and there were somedays where it was just needed before I tore my hair out. Although, after the first day of using it, I noticed my cat was almost lethargic and unresponsive, so I looked at the ingredients and it was 13% alcohol!!!! I smelled the product, and it smelt like it was 100% alcohol as it was a really strong scent.

It calls for 1tbs I believe, and we now use less than half a tsp and it's perfect for when we use it.  And we've only used it twice since we found that out, once prior to going to the vet to get his first nail trim done and another time when I had a family member watch him.

trish81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most of these are just common sense for cat owners. If you don't know these than you shouldn't be owning a cat in the first place, or anything for that matter. This Christmas we would lock our catout of the loungeroom when we were out/in bed. He gets locked out of the loungeroom anyway when we go out or go to bed. He has a big kitchen, laundry and dinning room in these moments to roam (he's an indoor cat).

ALTHOUGH saying that, I once owned a dog who use to steal my alcohol drinks. I would put it down and she'd be drinking it from the glass.

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most of these are just common sense for cat owners. If you don't know these than you shouldn't be owning a cat in the first place, or anything for that matter. This Christmas we would lock our catout of the loungeroom when we were out/in bed. He gets locked out of the loungeroom anyway when we go out or go to bed. He has a big kitchen, laundry and dinning room in these moments to roam (he's an indoor cat).

ALTHOUGH saying that, I once owned a dog who use to steal my alcohol drinks. I would put it down and she'd be drinking it from the glass.

That was harsh trish. As with human kids accidents happen with pets too. No matter how careful you are. Should we say you shouldn't have pets because you left alcohol out by mistake?

Last edited:

trish81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That was harsh trish. As with human kids accidents happen with pets too. No matter how careful you are. Should we say you shouldn't have pets because you left alcohol out by mistake?
Too true. I thought it was a bit harsh but to purposely give these harmful products to animals? Not so.

Starting to think (right now) my daughter doesn't deserve her cat. Being mean to him beside me. LOL.

I swear they are just like children. The cat (Holden) acts EXACTLY like my 3 year old daughter. It's like having two kids in the house. LOL

Trial and error I gues. ;)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless advised by your vet to give human medications (including OTC meds) to your pet, you should automatically assume that they're harmful. Forget about lists of meds your cat should be kept from, don't give any meds to your cat unless your vet tells you to.

As for stockings, think about those small, ankle-high nylons they sell. Yes, a cat could swallow these, and they would be very bad for her.

I automatically cut all strings and threads into quarter or half inch lengths before putting them in the trash because longer strings can perforate the intestines if a cat should swallow them. This is especially important with the string they use to tie a roast; that is very attractive to cats.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Re. Marijuana: I live in Colorado. We just legalized recreational marijuana, which has resulted in quite a few marijuana butts ending up on the sidewalks. And this, in turn, has resulted in several dogs being poisoned from eating marijuana. Yes, marijuana is toxic to pets and other people. And it should be on the list.

Margret

smittendakittn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty grabs my roommates ciggerette papers there mynthol she hisses when you try to get them away from her must like the mint taste no tobacco tho just the papers the vet pulled out a long peice of paper from her bootie but she loves the mint taste I yell at him all the time "don't let her have any more!" But she sneaks up there anyways and takes one too fast . what to do?

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mandie goes after soft plastics like bags, etc. You'll just have to keep her fetish in mind and keep them far away from her.

lunathecat1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Socks can be bad if they choose to tear them apart and eat them piece by piece, not saying your cat will but some people's cats will.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Socks can be bad if they choose to tear them apart and eat them piece by piece, not saying your cat will but some people's cats will.
Yes, they certainly could, especially if they're knitted socks so the cat is swallowing yarn rather than small pieces. I've seen a cat get a perforated intestine from swallowing string. The worst part is that it doesn't show up on an X-ray.

However, you know those little fur covered toy mousies you can get at the grocery store? I recently found one in the bedroom with its little head bitten off, and Jasmine has shown no signs of being sick as a result. I'm not sure just how dangerous small pieces of cloth would be. Has your cat or a cat you know gotten sick from this?

Margret

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe the reference to socks and balls pertained 'mostly' to dogs. Most dogs will and do chew on socks. Dogs tend to shred them (and other objects made of material), so there is the potential for choking if they ingest a small piece of cloth (this includes stuffed animals/toys as well. If it are damaged, throw it away!). A piece of cloth could also be easily swallowed; however, it could cause a bowel obstruction.  

Balls can be choking hazards for dogs, but it depends a lot on the size of the dog in comparison to the size of  the ball (or any object). For example, no dog would choke on a basketball (unless they chewed a piece off and swallowed it), but even a small dog like a Yorkie could choke on a marble, ball bearing, or even a pebble. 

My daughter has a St. Bernard/Ovcharka mix - a VERY large breed! - and she refused to allow her to play with tennis balls because it could block her airway if she 'inhaled' it. 

Just like humans - children should not be given lollipops, grapes, hot dogs etc. until they are 5 years old when it is less of a choking hazard. That is a 'guideline' age   where they 'should' be chewing their food. 

That is why toys are required to have age limits on them regarding choking hazards. Toys with small parts and dolls will button eyes are potential choking hazards. Yes, even for your cat!

Basically, if a human or any animal can fit an object into its mouth, that object is a potential choking hazard.  

I recently purchased a fishing pole toy for my two cats. They absolutely loved the interactive playtime with me. Luckily, it was 'interactive' and I was there when Keeker pulled the little 'worm' hooked on the end right off and began chewing on it! It was attached by a clasp that clipped onto a thin wire ring. The part that he pulled off had another tiny ring (less than 1/4 inch) fastened to it which could (and eventually would) have been chewed off and most likely swallowed!

I removed ALL the tiny little pieces and attached a chain of small plastic ties through the loop at the end. The chain of loops dangle and the cats can easily grab them with their paws and chew on them without the risk of breaking them off or chocking on them. We now enjoy hours of 'fishing' fun!

So, what it boils down to for a lot of the toys (bought or homemade) is that we look at them carefully to be sure they truly ARE safe for our fur-babies!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.