101 Things That Can Harm Your Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruiser

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is a very informative post,so thanks for thinking of puttinh it up,now with new kittens in the house i have had to move my plants.

leenco12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by queenfe

Thank you for sharing that, I learnt a few things there....
About the first section of the list about cleaning products etc. is anyone really stupid enough to leave those where their pet is likely to eat them? I knew chocolate was poisonous for cats but i didn't know about the others, not that my cat has ever really been interested in any human food other than meat. We always keep our cats away from trick or treaters cos of the horror stories you get about them and we always make sure they are in on hallowe

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
what about cooked pork? is that any good for a cat?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by HUYI

what about cooked pork? is that any good for a cat?
that is debatable ... Your in the EU thus your meats are purer than US meats... but Pork fat is not all digested by kitties thus I avoid it

tweetykiss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We haven't put up our Christmas tree since we got Avalon. I am just so scared.

riffxraff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Berry Punch

This is Berry Punch's husband.

I was reading an article that debunked the notion that garlic (in small quantities) is harmful to cats and dogs. Apparently, the researchers who had notified the public to the contrary had tested its effects using relatively extreme quantities. Using it as a limited ingredient in pet foods has no ill effect at all. In fact, I know of a very good natural dog biscuit brand that uses it to flavour their treats. owners.
I was wondering about that because I read that feeding small doses of garlic to your cat can help keep fleas away and I wanted to try it..but now Im uncertain!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by RiffxRaff

I was wondering about that because I read that feeding small doses of garlic to your cat can help keep fleas away and I wanted to try it..but now Im uncertain!
garlic toxicity varies by cat and there is no way to tell how much if any is okay for a specific cat

garlic flavor is not the same as garlic.... some parts are not toxic ....look up heinz anemia

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely good that this list stays a sticky.
We have some really beautiful irises and huge peace lilies blooming outside right now, and I wanted to cut some to bring inside, but... I see that would be a no-no. I was hoping peace lilies didn't count as real lilies, but I guess they are. Or at least yet another harmful plant.

I'm lucky that both Genever and Dorothy don't bother with any of my plants that are inside, even roses I cut from the garden and put in a vase on the table which they regularly jump up on, but I don't want to risk it with a known toxic plant. Ya never know when they'll get ideas in their head to try and munch on something new..

So, I will just have to admire them outside then.

zerosoma33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm surprised that "salt" is harmful for cats. The Meow Mix Market Select containers I have contain salt (though it's about 15-20 ingredients into the list). Usually salt is used to cover up putrid meat but right now it's the easiest thing to feed as I've gotten tired of buying large cans of Innova and refrigerating it, most cats like their wet food at "mouse temperature" (or room temp).

Oh well, I don't think it will kill her. Eventually I will try to find an inexpensive food in smaller containers that does not contain salt or other additives!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zerosoma33

I'm surprised that "salt" is harmful for cats. The Meow Mix Market Select containers I have contain salt (though it's about 15-20 ingredients into the list). Usually salt is used to cover up putrid meat but right now it's the easiest thing to feed as I've gotten tired of buying large cans of Innova and refrigerating it, most cats like their wet food at "mouse temperature" (or room temp).

Oh well, I don't think it will kill her. Eventually I will try to find an inexpensive food in smaller containers that does not contain salt or other additives!
You can warm refrigerated canned cat food up. Just run hot water over the dish, leave a little water in the dish and mix it with the food. If it is still cold set the dish of food in another dish of hot water to warm.

that

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by zerosoma33

I give my cat prawns which naturally contains salt from the ocean and he's not dead.
Ahwell... better safe then sorry.

deanna margaret

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
var fctb_tool=null; function FCTB_Init_c7acb3a113d840deb3b9b8a7ad16eab7(t) { fctb_tool=t;start(fctb_tool); } FCTB_Init_c7acb3a113d840deb3b9b8a7ad16eab7(document['FCTB_Init_cce89e9e76564b5eac8badc36b30f938']); delete document['FCTB_Init_cce89e9e76564b5eac8badc36b30f938'] Again thank you! Very informative..

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
These sort of lists are so ******** frustrating - especially the plant/food part.

They never say how they determine that these things are poisonous/toxic, what QUANTITIES are toxic, how attracted pets are to these things, etc.

According to this list, the bird of paradise is poisonous. I have one in my yard. My cats have batted at/attacked the leaves. To actually tear off a piece and eat a piece of leaf would be very difficult. The leaves are big and tough like palm tree leaves. When they want to munch, they munch on the grass.

I freaked out when I saw that bird of paradise is dangerous. Then I searched for hours for further info - one case of an animal dying from a bird of paradise. Found nothing. I have decided not to worry about it.

How did they determine the bird of paradise is dangerous? Took a giant pile of the plant, ground it up, boiled it down, fed it to a lab animal? Gotta wonder.

So you gotta use common sense/critical thought on this. There is nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution, but I don't think you need to clear out your yard either.

Edit: The salt thing is definitely a matter of QUANTITY. Pretty much everything has salt in it - all plants and meat. Just like people should limit salt intake - the same is true for animals.

Salt is actually necessary for us and animals. If you or your cat had a zero salt diet for an extended period of time, you both would get VERY SICK.

Last edited:

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That one shocked me too. If I put a sock on Patricia's head, it goes all the way from her nose to behind her ears and stays there.

Another shocker was towels. Emily slept on them when they were in laundry baskets.
I was surprised that was not listed. Vets have found them in feline stomachs.
Green meaning immature tomatoes or tomatoes that never turn red?
Are you sure sea salt and table salt are the same thing?

I have to say this about chocolate: It does not hurt to drink a tiny bit or eat a few crumbs on the floor. The cat needs to eat a certain amount to get sick, which depends on its weight.  Patricia beat me to my chocolate milk all the time before I got smart and switched to white milk but she never suffered chocolate poisoning.

Why are Christmas tree ornaments on the list, but not the tree itself? Every time I had a white pine tree in the house, Patricia ate the needles. She never got the stomach upset a vet told me can happen, but I am sure other cats vomited on eastern white pines.

Status
Not open for further replies.