10 year old super shy female making incredible noise at night in apartment building

sillywoody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I write this at 1:30am, another sleepless night my cat Ofie woke me up.
She is the shyest scaredy cat, who gets really confident at night and runs up and down my hall. She pounces and jumps.
She weighs 6 lbs but sounds like 30 lbs as she flies and hops up and down. I would normally leave her be but just moved into a new apt and a poor neighbor lives below.
For now I put moving furniture blankets down to dull the sound.
Any ideas?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try the tips here:

You can search Google for suggestions on how to muffle noise from your apartment. Rugs are pretty easy to buy. You probably can't add any soundproofing material to the floor without the landlord's consent.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you talked to your neighbor to find out whether the sound of the cat bothers them? Some cats are just much more active at night and the exercise is really good for them. If it is a problem then look for a thick carpet for the hallway.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I write this at 1:30am, another sleepless night my cat Ofie woke me up.
She is the shyest scaredy cat, who gets really confident at night and runs up and down my hall. She pounces and jumps.
She weighs 6 lbs but sounds like 30 lbs as she flies and hops up and down. I would normally leave her be but just moved into a new apt and a poor neighbor lives below.
For now I put moving furniture blankets down to dull the sound.
Any ideas?
Thanks for caring about Ofie and about your neighbor! SO many people don't "get" being considerate of others at all.
Other posters' suggestions are excellent, and I can't really add anything except to hope a combination of their suggestions will ensure stimuli for her and restful nights for your neighbor. I kept the old, worn-out carpet here for just this reason (along with comfort) because I can't afford to re-carpet the entire house and we have a hallway that runs the length of the house, which could be called the Indy 500 :flail:Elvis, my 13-year-old male, loves to patrol all night long in hot weather, and he gets up quite a head of steam sometimes. In lieu of carpeting, long rugs can be helpful and affordable. They have those carpet runners that go in hallways -- really good at muffling the noise of little cathooves😸🐃 and it only takes one to sound like a whole herd.
funny-pictures-cat-looks-like-bison.jpg

As for play sessions, most cats love interactive sessions between you and them with wand-and-lure toys like da Bird or Cat Dancer, widely available. Good luck!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Your suggestions are excellent and I LOVE your sense of humor,. especially "sofa bison" :flail::crackup:
Thanks! The other posters' suggestions are wonderful and very much what I would recommend, too. And "sofa bison" is just a meme I snagged off icanhascheezburger.com, which if you haven't been, you owe it to yourself to check out. Laugh every day! is something I try to follow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sillywoody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you to everyone for your lovely suggestions. I’m approaching this as a combo so trying each tip in unison to increase my chances of a restful sleep for humans and peaceful night for kitty!