10 week old semi-feral kittens...tips? ESPECIALLY toys!

julia123123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just adopted two semi-feral kittens (feral 'til week 8). In the week that I've had them, they've stopped hiding and now run to greet me, purring and rubbing against my ankles. Little lovers!

29_twoKittens.jpg

They have their own room until they get a little bit bigger. I work from home and spend at least 1 1/2 hours/day playing with them, mainly with the feather wand (I check in for pets every single hour!). They are semi-interested in crinkle balls, but not really interested in the 3-way crinkle tunnel, the catnip mice, the little catnip balls, laser pointer, or large rope toy. I can't leave the feather wands or Cat Dancer down when I'm not there/choking hazard. What can they entertain themselves with while I'm working? They have a kitten hammock (not interested) and a pyramid scratcher (not interested). Mildly interested in that electric feather-wand-under-whirling-fabric toy. I ordered a kitten-sized perch, which should come soon. What can I buy that can be left down for them to play with?

Also - these two guys are the runt and the biggest of the litter. The bigger kitten is very considerate of the smaller one - doesn't take his food or his toys, even when he can. A very sweet guy. The little one is quite small, just a couple of pounds for being 10 weeks old. Is there anything special that I should be doing to nurture him?

Any other kitten tips? (We have a senior cat, but we're withholding intros for at least a month)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For the little guy, actually both of them, let them eat as much as they want. Tiny might benefit from some kitten glop.

Kitten Glop Recipes - Supplementing Cats and Kittens with nutritious formula you make at home: presented by Bengal Cat breeder Foothill Felines.

How To Treat Fleas In Young Kittens – TheCatSite Articles

heres an idea from Jackson Galaxy and also there's a kitten webcam on explore . org where you can see what their kittens like, it's Kitten Rescue, Los Angeles
Ripple Rug Cat Activity Mat

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Feed the little guy often and as much or as little as he wants. Runts tend to catch up eventually. Leave wet and dry food (kitten kibble) down 24/7. Plus water. Kittens sleep 16 hours a day, so play when you can. All should be well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julia123123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! We're definitely leaving lots of food down, all the time.