10 week old kitten won’t eat/drink

chinatheressa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
I am writing this in hopes I can get some opinions of some fellow cat lovers on this, and I have spoken to two vets already as well.
So, June 10 we brought Beans (the kitten) in for her first vet visit, where she was given her first round of vaccines and dewormer. She was fine for a few days, and then the monday after (June 14) she started having really bad diarhea, where it was getting all over her and we had to bathe her immediately after she went. Vet said this was probably side effects of the medicine, so we let it go. Then that Thursday (June 17) our 6yr old diabetic cat Piper started exhibing the same symptoms; diarhea, vomiting, not eating, lethargic.
We immediately brought them both in to the vet, and were told that it was probably a parasite, infection, or virus that was passed between them.They were prescribed oral metrodiazanol, which we have been giving them 2 times a day since. Both of them pretty much immediately started to feel better, but all of a sudden yesterday, Beans started vomiting, not eating or drinking, diarhea, and extremely lethargic. We again brought her in to the vet, where she was given a fluid injection and a omeprazole injection. When we got her home, she was soaking wet at the site of the injection, and there has been no improvement, it has only worsened. She had watery diarhea this morning, and threw up as well. She has been sleeping all day with no energy. The vet said we should wait until we get her fecal sample results back tomorrow, but I am worried about keeping her sustained through the night and into the day tomorrow, as she is only 1.7 lbs. I have been able to get her to eat some wet ‘appetizer’ treats (about a spoonful) mixed with water, and some freeze dried chicken giblets. I spoke to an online vet for a second opinion, and they suggested that we try to give her plain yogurt and Gastropect from the pharmacy. (1ml, 2-3x a day)
Has anyone experienced similar symptoms following deworming/vaccines/metrodiazonol? What can I do to get nutrition into her? I am new to caring for a kitten and I am so torn apart over her feeling like this.

Attachments

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. These are serious symptoms, especially in a cat so young. There is always a risk of these babies going hypoglycemic really fast. I honestly. In my opinion, would find another veterinarian ASAP. See if there is a feline only Veterinarian in your area as they may understand the urgency of this situation.

I am disappointed that a fecal wasn’t already preformed. And also saddened you were advised to wait.

So, I wouldn’t be giving yogurt to the kitten or any dairy product.

Find a cat only Veterinarian and get this poor baby looked at.

I am so sorry you are all going through this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chinatheressa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. These are serious symptoms, especially in a cat so young. There is always a risk of these babies going hypoglycemic really fast. I honestly. In my opinion, would find another veterinarian ASAP. See if there is a feline only Veterinarian in your area as they may understand the urgency of this situation.

I am disappointed that a fecal wasn’t already preformed. And also saddened you were advised to wait.

So, I wouldn’t be giving yogurt to the kitten or any dairy product.

Find a cat only Veterinarian and get this poor baby looked at.

I am so sorry you are all going through this.
Thank you for your reply. I unfortunately do not have any feline only vets in my area, but I have already started to look into a new vet after all I have been through for this baby.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
To answer your question, yes. I have had reactions to too many vaccines at once (how many were given?), worming preparations, and metro which ironically can cause diarrhea, loss of appetite, and vomiting. But in the short term, those are all secondary to the fact that you have a very young, small, sick kitten and I agree that she needs medical attention as soon as possible. If this were an older, healthy, bigger, stable cat waiting out for a day might not be bad, but in this case it could be entirely wrong to do that. If you don't have a cat only vet just try for another vet or ER and preferably not a vet in the same practice as the first one if possible.

If you have anything like the Nextdoor app, ask for names of good vets people have used or call people you know with cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chinatheressa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To answer your question, yes. I have had reactions to too many vaccines at once (how many were given?), worming preparations, and metro which ironically can cause diarrhea, loss of appetite, and vomiting. But in the short term, those are all secondary to the fact that you have a very young, small, sick kitten and I agree that she needs medical attention as soon as possible. If this were an older, healthy, bigger, stable cat waiting out for a day might not be bad, but in this case it could be entirely wrong to do that. If you don't have a cat only vet just try for another vet or ER and preferably not a vet in the same practice as the first one if possible.

If you have anything like the Nextdoor app, ask for names of good vets people have used or call people you know with cats.
Thanks for replying! I ended up bringing her to my nearest emergency hospital and they gave her an anti-emetic, fluids, caraphate to take home, and Entyce. She ate this morning!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And do you win proactive cat owner of the year I think! I am so very glad you took the initiative and got your cat looked at because honestly it’s ridiculous to think that little kitty would’ve been OK in that condition. Thank you thank you thank you for being on top of things with your kitty