10 week old kitten with frequent urination

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I adopted a female cat two weeks ago and she is now ten weeks old. She has had no accidents since being with me but she dose urinate about ten times a day. She never strains or cries out. We took her to the vet last week and they said she has a slight heart murmur and they took a urine sample, her results cane back with slightly high WBC. They gave her ten days of amoycillian but so far she has shown little improvement. I am wondering if she might have cystitis, where her bladder is inflamed but no infection. I feed her Purina one chicken wet and dry food because that is what she was on at the shelter and I didn't want to change it right away which could lead to more stress. I would appreciate any advise, thank you!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Kittens with a heart murmur at the age of your cat will often outgrow it as the get a little older. I am not saying to ignore it, but it might go away with time. As for the WBC in the urine, this could signify infection or inflammation. The vet basically did what would be a usual first step by providing one form of amoxycillin or another. Stress can play into cat urinary issues and I can see why you don't want to change her food right now.

IMO, the vet is not choosing the wrong course of action for a start, but if you don't see improvement or symptoms emerge, she needs to go back for a more detailed followup.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Fionasmom. Have you or anyone else tried the feel away products or anything else for stess? She is die for her third round of shots in a few weeks but should I get those done when she isn't feeling the best and it might make her more stressed?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Feliway did not work for stress for my cats, but that is not to say that it would not work for yours. There are other products like Rescue Remedy as well which some prefer. There is cat music available online such as David Teie's on Amazon Prime. However, I think that you might be in the middle of an adjustment period since you have only had her for a couple of weeks.

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, that article was excellent! I saw a round fluffy anti anxiety cat bed online fir $25, I might give that a try or has anyone tried Zylkene,can kittens safely take that? I was also wondering if kitten could eat cat grass yet?

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I believe Zylkene and cat grass are both fine for kittens. But your kitten may not be stressed; I see in your other thread in nutrition that she is not through the antibiotics yet?
Try not to be too worried.. kittens and cats pick up on our own stress, so know too that you're doing the very best for her and she's in good hands with the vet keeping an eye on her. Lots of love is a great stress-buster. ;)

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you mani, that is great advice.