10 week old kitten tries to "meow" but can't...help

lisareneeo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just adopted our 2nd kitten. She is 10 weeks old. When we brought her home from she meowed in her crate...but since then she really doesn't meow.

She makes the motion with her mouth and nothing seems to come out.  She does meow very softly once in a while. She does try to meow but most of the time no sound comes out.  I do not want to leave our older male (neutered) cat who is 10 months alone with her because he plays rough and I can't hear her meow for help or to give him the hint to stop.

She has been to the vet once and the vet does not seem too worried about this. She is scheduled this week for another appointment this week so I will follow up for sure.

Any suggestions or thoughts??
Thanks

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some cats are just quiet. She may be making a sound, you just can't hear it. If she really wants to get her point across (like when she was in the car) I'm sure she'll make herself heard.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
If the vet hasn't found anything wrong with her, she's probably fine.  I have two cats who started out as non-meowers.  We got Ozzy at 12 weeks and he never made any noise at all.  He was just quiet.  He was nervous and shy and it took quite a long time before he started getting more vocal.  He's five now and finally sounds like a 'normal' cat.

Our other cat Zoe is a squeaker. As a kitten she was just like yours--she'd open her mouth and no sound or only a tiny sound would come out.  Five years later, it hasn't changed.  It's just the way she is--I find it adorable.  

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is completely normal. Some cats meow extremely loudly, some don't get any sound out. I had one who didn't meow for like a year, but now she got it all figured out and won't shut up anymore haha. If your male cat does something to her she doesn't like she won't meow for help. She''ll most likely growl and/or hiss towards him and take care of herself. Don't worry about it, it will be okay ;)

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't think there is anything wrong. Some cats have a low meow and some cats have a loud one. She is also still very young. She may meow louder as she gets older or she may always have a soft little meow. My cat Mickey hardly ever meowed. If he did happen to meow it was so sweet and low. He would meow loud if he had to, but it was rare. I loved his little meow. I thought it was the sweetest sound I ever heard. He was adorable! Now, my cat Shadow has a loud meow. You can always hear him. Enjoy your sweet baby and her sweet little meow!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about it. Our cat was 9 months old when we got him, and for a long time we thought he couldn't meow. He still usually just gives a "silent meow" unless he really wants something badly, but he definitely does have a voice!

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The only time our Sasha (she's 4) Meows is when she is in her carrier in the car. Other than that we never hear a peep from her.
Amber on the other hand (she's 2) never stops. It's funny because if you couldn't see her you would think she was only about 8 weeks old. She grew up but her voice didn't. :lol3: