10 Month Old Too Fat?

Tdizz11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m worried that my 10 month old neutered male might be too chubby. He only eats canned Merrick and sometimes Weruva. He has that fatty pouch that sways side to side when he trots and runs.
My 3 year old male had PU surgery in November and lost weight from being sick. While trying to get him back to normal, I think my younger boy might have been stealing his food. I can’t feel is individual ribs easily. I never had a cat that had this pouch on his belly. What do you think?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think it's a primordial pouch, which is to say nothing to worry about. The view from top down looks good and while you should be able to feel ribs it shouldn't be super noticable. This chart has a fairly good explanation.

It may be that he is just a smidgen on the heavy side of a three but I'd say 3 from the top view. He might just be adding on some muscle over the ribs with his age being when cats tend to pack on some muscle as they've usually stopped growing bone at that point.

I'd keep an eye on his food a little more but not put him on a diet. My boy also has a pouch that swings quiet freely when he runs. Not an ounce of fat on mine but that pouch can look really funny when he runs. My vet said that he is perfect though and if anything she wants him to gain a little right now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tdizz11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, Thank you. He has always been growing unproportinately since I got him when he was 3months old. The first day I brought him home, I googled “skinny kitten butt” because he looked so scrawny. I think you’re right with the 3/4 on the chart. I just never had a young Cat be so hefty. He is indoors only but he does run around with his brother and plays with toys, so he gets exercise. I don’t feed them treats or table scraps. I’m going to monitor their food intake. I hope you’re right with the muscle and he’ll even out. I think that pouch is throwing his proportion off. Thank you for the info

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may not even be 100% done growing yet, but he looks good. Tommy didn't get the belly swing until he was older, and it was at least a year after he was done dieting.
Different cats are going to turn out differently. Tom is my largest at 13-13.5 lbs for his ideal weight. Stew is supposed to be 12 lbs, but he's at 13 right now. Princess Yue Pants is 10.25 lbs, and my smallest cat my female tortie Amalie at 9.5 lbs.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Big Boy has a belly pouch (he looks fat in this picture), but you pick him up and you'll feel what a Steroid Kitty he is. When he skulks around like a badger, his sides flap. When he punches, he packs a wallop. When I got him 18 months ago, he was skinny, but still flapped.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He looks good to me. 10.5-12.5 pounds range for neutered males are in good range.

I like my boy to be a little chubby and it’s nice to hug him. He’s hovering around 12-12.5 pounds. I weigh him every week.

Tdizz11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Big Boy has a belly pouch (he looks fat in this picture), but you pick him up and you'll feel what a Steroid Kitty he is. When he skulks around like a badger, his sides flap. When he punches, he packs a wallop. When I got him 18 months ago, he was skinny, but still flapped.

He may not even be 100% done growing yet, but he looks good. Tommy didn't get the belly swing until he was older, and it was at least a year after he was done dieting.
Different cats are going to turn out differently. Tom is my largest at 13-13.5 lbs for his ideal weight. Stew is supposed to be 12 lbs, but he's at 13 right now. Princess Yue Pants is 10.25 lbs, and my smallest cat my female tortie Amalie at 9.5 lbs.
Wow! He’s a gorgeous cat! I might just be worried because I’m comparing him to Dalton who is long and slender. I feel better now!

Tdizz11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He looks good to me. 10.5-12.5 pounds range for neutered males are in good range.

I like my boy to be a little chubby and it’s nice to hug him. He’s hovering around 12-12.5 pounds. I weigh him every week.
Thank you. I weighed him this morning. He’s 11 lbs. My other cat is just 9lbs and he’s long, sleek and slender. Thanks for the reply! This makes me feel better