10 month old hyper/ aggressive cat

plisa21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all! Earlier this year my fiancé brought a kitten home from his brother’s house. We named him Trouble because he was around 5 months old and a terror. He was so hyper and always getting into stuff he shouldn’t. He was neutered at 6 months old and I thought it had calmed him down...until he hit 10 month old. He has gotten very hyper again and seems more aggressive. We play with him everyday with a wand toy, laser, yarn balls, mini tennis balls, a self-interactive chase toy, and tunnel. He has three cat trees to climb on and those all have toys on them as well. He likes to aggressively play which we are fine with but he frequently tries to attack our first cat and sometimes it hard to tell if she is willingly playing with him or they are fighting. (They do get along and I catch them cuddling so they must be okay with each other sometimes.) To me he just seems so bored, and I’m at a loss on what to do. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think he is trying to attack your older cat as much as trying to engage it in play. If they cuddle together they are friends and so she isn’t too bothered by his attention. If your boy hasn’t been neutered yet, this could be affecting his behavior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

plisa21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t think he is trying to attack your older cat as much as trying to engage it in play. If they cuddle together they are friends and so she isn’t too bothered by his attention. If your boy hasn’t been neutered yet, this could be affecting his behavior.
I assumed she must like him a little bit. He was neutered at 6 months old; it seemed to calm him for a few months but he’s acting like a 5 month old again. Maybe that’s normal. I’ve never had a cat this young.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
He does sound totally normal. At this age they are insanely active and full of bravado. From reading your other posts, your other cat is still relatively young so able to handle a crazy teen. In another six months he may begin to slow down.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience, cats don't cuddle or even just chill next to cats that are seriously stressing them out so I totally agree with susanm9006 susanm9006 . Typically with a young overly playful cat, its more analogous to a stereotypical scene between a married couple where tired spouse pushes and snaps at the amorous spouse who won't take no for an answer, with maybe the added element of the overly enthusiastic cat causing some actual discomfort of the significance of say an indian sunburn or head noogie. (Imagine if your amorous spouse did *that* = divorce!!!) So its just not a biggie -- its a young cat thing. You can mostly ignore it, giving your older cat a break by distracting the younger if the older cat seems especially bothered. Every now and then, the dynamic can suddenly change for the worse, so keep an eye out, but agree this sounds fine.