10 Day Old Kitten Constipated.

New mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To make along story short, I got adopted by a new born kitten. I am guessing her age to be around 10 days. I got her on the 9th of May. So I have had her for a week now. Her eyes are not open yet but I can see a line forming on the slits so expecting her to open her eyes soon. All I can say is she is perfect. As I don't have kitten milk replacement, I have been feeding a home made formula I got from kitten care( 3oz condensed milk, 3oz water, 4oz full fat yogurt and 3 egg yolks). She is taking about 4ml formula. She is peeing really well on stimulation. On the 9th she had a hard stool which was dark brown and right after had a semi soft stool. She is very active, loves to climb all over my hands, purrs a lot, sleeps really well. I am keeping her warm and feeding her every two hour. But she has not pooped since. Her stomach is not bloated and I have been stimulating before and after meals. She pees a lot but no poop. I am really worried.
Today I took her to a vet and he said she was too small for them to do anything. Just to wait, she will poop. He did tell me to switch her to a lactose free infant formula (human). I have given the kitten two meals with this new formula but nothing yet. Please someone help. Is constipation life threatening in cats?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Long time constipation is life threat but some days manage ok.

Give 2 drops of food oil in ever meal. Be sure she is well hydrated.

Can you get goats milk? Its a very good alternative.

Human baby formula is ok for some time. But dilute it less than for humans. Half of the water

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

New mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the response. I am trying to get goat milk, not sure yet. As for the human formula, I am doubling the strength, twice as much formula , same amount of water.

My concern is her really bloated stomach. It almost looks painful. For her last feed she only had 2ml of formula.

New mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another question, should I be giving her water to? Right now I am just giving her the formula.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Add 2 drops of olive oil to each feeding. It should help her to poop.

New mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the Olive oil advise. Started doing that, just finished second feed with olive oil in it.

She has not pooped yet but I did get a very small amount of yellow color discharge. Her stomach is still very bloated and hard.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope with poo comes relief in the stomach bloating.

And yes, its good she is well hydrated, but no need to overdo it.

You can also give some simethicone, the same as for human babies. So you buy it in parents / baby aisles. One drop or two at meal time.

New mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry on double posting. For some odd reason it was'nt showing on my thread the first time around.

New mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:yess:Giving her simethecone and olive oil 2 drops each at each feed. Hoping for a poop and a relaxed belly soon.

New mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:hyper::yess: My little baby just pooped.....and pooped like what. Thank you, thank you, thank you StefanZ and Sarthur2 for the timely advice and patience.

I will be bringing up this little one with all the help I can get from the amazing people on this site.
Again thank you and God bless.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:hyper::yess: My little baby just pooped.....and pooped like what. Thank you, thank you, thank you StefanZ and Sarthur2 for the timely advice and patience.

I will be bringing up this little one with all the help I can get from the amazing people on this site.
Again thank you and God bless.
yay! :poop:

Wishing you continued good luck with the little one!:catlove:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I knew it was coming soon! I’m sure the baby feels much better now.

Continue now with just one drop of oil per feeding.

New mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A few other questions, should I keep adding semithecome along with a drop of olive oil to her feed? She is still bloated.

Also the day temp where I live is a little over 100deg F and the night temp drops to about 85 deg F, should I still give the heating pad for the kitten? Every time I do, I feel she was a little hot. Right now I am putting the pad only at night. She is in a wicker basket, very cozy with no draft in the room.

Her feeding seems to have dropped. Not eating as much as she was before. I did switch to bottle and that could be the reason, I will go back to the syringe from the next feed and see if that helps.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you can add a drop of both to each feeding.

How much does she weigh? How much and how often are you feeding?

New mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have ordered a weighing scale, I shud have it in a day or two. As she is either 11 or 12 days old today I am feeding her 4ml every two hours during the day and recently switched to 3 hours during the night.

I just finished a feed ( with syringe)and she just ate the first 2 ml happily after that she was done, I had to almost force feed her one drop at a time. She was lacking on really well before not doing that either.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree, continue with simethicone and oil, but less now. One drop each instead of 2. Oil is btw good nourishment by itself.

If its that warm, its not necessary with actively warming up, unless after a bath or if otherwise cold.
It may be sooner a question of cooling down! for example, stroking the fur with a cloth somewhat wet. Or having a fan on - not too near, but enough near to give some relief.
N New mom

New mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think she is full. She is still licking my hand and searching for milk.

As I am feeding her the human infant formula, the mixing instructions are 3 oz water to 3 scoops of formula, for her I am doubling it, 3:6, is this correct or should it be another ratio.