1 yr old in first labor!! Pls stand by.. I'm terrified!

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My baby girl is starting labor right now, her first litter (AND ONLY!!) and I'm scared to death! I assisted in her birth but her mommy was a stray. I loved her, yes but this girl here is my child! She is HUGE and even though we had her checked by our vet a week ago, I still think she looks way too big and I'm scared her kittens will be too big for her to deliver. Also, will she instinctively know what to do being her first litter and she JUST turned one year old. She's just a baby herself. This is a unwanted pregnancy. We had one of our males neutered but we had a bad head cold virus sweep through all our cats and couldn't get our other male neutered in time. It happened during that [emoji]128533[/emoji] What's done is done though and here I sit with my baby about to have babies!! She's burning up right now and her eyes are glassy. Is that OK? I'm sorry you all for being a wimp [emoji]128546[/emoji]

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good luck! Most, if not all, should be taken care of by instinct; keep an eye on her and be supportive! My Camo just had her kittens early this morning, and her eyes looked a little glassy, I think? What do you mean by burning up? Cats have a higher body temperature than humans (100-102 degrees), so perhaps that why she feels like she is burning up?

Make sure to read this if you haven't already! It's a great overview of what to look out for.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good luck! Most, if not all, should be taken care of by instinct; keep an eye on her and be supportive! My Camo just had her kittens early this morning, and her eyes looked a little glassy, I think? What do you mean by burning up? Cats have a higher body temperature than humans (100-102 degrees), so perhaps that why she feels like she is burning up?

Make sure to read this if you haven't already! It's a great overview of what to look out for.
Her ears are warmer than she normally is. Maybe I over exaggerated the "burning up" because I'm so scared! I apologize. I had to supplement feeding with her and her two brothers AND I helped birth them. You'd think I'd be a seasoned pro but as I said, this seems different because she's our baby. We hand raised her (with mommies help) and her brothers. She's still just laying in her bed,moving positions and pushing on the sides with her paws but she's not "pushing" yet. It may be hours yet. I'll keep you all posted on any progress. Thank you for your timely response!

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Grunting has begun, so I believe she's pushing. She is obsessively licking the cat bed everywhere her butts been... Lol.. Good sign of maternal instinct so far.. Fingers crossed! I believe she lost her mucus plug also because I noticed her eating something from the corner her butt was in. She's very restless... Gotta go... Keep you posted.

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bulging membrane coming out but doesn't look like a kitten and has been stuck for around 10 minutes. I hope the advisors chime in soon...

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's probably a sac with a kitten inside. If she is pushing for more than 30 minutes without a birth she needs to get to a vet ASAP.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
How long has she been pushing?

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sac around kitten busted. Cat screaming in pain. Vet won't call back.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I was you, go to the Vets office or go to an ER vet now, It will be pricey but if she's in distress, she needs help NOW.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There should be an ER number at your regular vet if not, try another, please hurry.

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im freaking out with you, but you, and she are doing just fine. The people here are great!

yellowhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our stray had six kittens - the kittens and afterbirth didn't come out right together.  Many told me she would make noise, but she only grunted.  I suspect it's because she was a stray and afraid to make noise.  If your kitty is meowing (even in pain) probably she's extra comfortable with you.   It's an amazing time, isn't it?  Thinking of you!

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There should be an ER number at your regular vet if not, try another, please hurry.
We live in a small.. Small town, only 2 vets. One, no emergency number. The other, (not our vet) this a**hole, never answered our text. Been 45 min and I resorted to sending a message that says EMERGENCY! She's had 3 kittens now though and as far as I know only two afterbirth but I've been in such a frenzy I'm not sure. She's not laying with them though and they're cold. Will she eventually nurse them and keep them warm?

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our stray had six kittens - the kittens and afterbirth didn't come out right together.  Many told me she would make noise, but she only grunted.  I suspect it's because she was a stray and afraid to make noise.  If your kitty is meowing (even in pain) probably she's extra comfortable with you.   It's an amazing time, isn't it?  Thinking of you!
yes it is but terrifying also! Lol..

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a heating source you can use for the kittens while mom is giving birth.  It's not good for them be get cold. Be sure to cover the heating source with a towel so the kitten are not directly on it.  You can use a heating pad on low, hot water bottle or even a sock stuffed with raw rice microwaved for 5 minutes.

You can stop worrying about the vet.  If she has had 2 kittens after the first was stuck, the crises has passed.  Were two of the kittens sharing a sack?

Last edited: