1 Year Old Snowshoe Siamese Wants To Be The Only One.

Lucy Lue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I adopted a female snowshoe siamese from an elderly woman when she was 3 months old. I got her spayed at 7 months. She's extremely playful, like 24/7, lots of energy, curious( typical snowshoe behavior) except she doesn't like dogs, other cats..really anything. She's very demanding and has a you will pet me when I will allow it behavior. Really only bites when I'm focusing on work and not her. Really if she wants to play. I'm worried because I'm gone from home many hours out of the day. Assumed maybe I'll get her a kitten to keep her company. Then i realized because of her dominant, alpha behavior she may just bully the kitten. I'm starting to really worry. Do I find her a home who has the time for a siamese or do I get her a high energy kitten? This is my first cat, little did I know about the siamese breed, before I adopted her, who could resist those cute little kitten faces? I thought she would be calm, cuddly and sweet. Little did I know she's wild, demanding, and disapproves of everything. Don't get me wrong she's super loving a sweet (when she wants to be) I just don't know what to do at this point.
IMG-20170504-WA0009.jpg
20170508_125252.jpg
20170509_120613.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OMG! She is a cutie.

I would think trying a buddy would be good and she is young enough to accept one. I would look for another high energy cat with a passive personality. You want the kitten who is playing with their siblings but will wait patiently if pushed out of the food bowl. One that isn't scared or skiddish but curious and inquisitive.

I would go with a male so you don't have to worry about two females fighting for dominance later one. Double siamese/snowshoe/pointed can be challenging but they are good at keeping up with each other. I wouldn't get a tortie as they are known to be bossy (earned or unearned reputation is debatable but worth steering clear of just in case) and that might cause a clash.

Just go slow with introductions. Some growling and hissing is totally normal so don't worry too much about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lucy Lue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OMG! She is a cutie.

I would think trying a buddy would be good and she is young enough to accept one. I would look for another high energy cat with a passive personality. You want the kitten who is playing with their siblings but will wait patiently if pushed out of the food bowl. One that isn't scared or skiddish but curious and inquisitive.

I would go with a male so you don't have to worry about two females fighting for dominance later one. Double siamese/snowshoe/pointed can be challenging but they are good at keeping up with each other. I wouldn't get a tortie as they are known to be bossy (earned or unearned reputation is debatable but worth steering clear of just in case) and that might cause a clash.

Just go slow with introductions. Some growling and hissing is totally normal so don't worry too much about it.
Wow I really appreciate such a detailed response. I grew up around tabby cats. I've never experienced a siamese before. I feel like I have this love/hate type of relationship with her lol. Like she's my baby and I just want to keep her entertained. I've been seriously stressing about this for a while, and you've managed to sum it up perfectly. Whew (wipes forhead) should I go to a shelter possibly? Or search for someone who has a new born litter of kittens? Now when you say kitten are you meaning the (mew mew) kittens, or another 1 year old? I do have a siamese shelter near me, I'm assuming I should stick to that breed? Thank you so much Kieka Kieka .

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow I really appreciate such a detailed response. I grew up around tabby cats. I've never experienced a siamese before. I feel like I have this love/hate type of relationship with her lol. Like she's my baby and I just want to keep her entertained. I've been seriously stressing about this for a while, and you've managed to sum it up perfectly. Whew (wipes forhead) should I go to a shelter possibly? Or search for someone who has a new born litter of kittens? Now when you say kitten are you meaning the (mew mew) kittens, or another 1 year old? I do have a siamese shelter near me, I'm assuming I should stick to that breed? Thank you so much Kieka Kieka .
With how you are describing her I would go under a year for the new one. I have two Snowshoes myself. Link was a year old when Rocket joined us; she was 4 months old. Because Link is a protective personality (along with the high energy and smarts side of Snowshoe) he took Rocket under his wing. He is super protective of his sister. If she cries out he suddenly appears skidding into the room to protect her. But their ages and being both still in the kitten mindset meant that they both wanted to play (alot). I don't think you need an 8-12 week old though that maybe too young for her.

She would probably be fine with any cat between 6 months and a year. I probably wouldn't go older than a year with the personality you've mentioned; unless it is exactly the right personality. Only because adults have their place in the world figured out so you may have a harder time getting them to get along or for the new one to accept her dominance and lead. However, if you found just the right one she could accept it just fine.

A foster group or someone who really raised the cat/kitten is probably best. You want to find someone who really knows the personailty of the cat you are getting. If you have a siamese rescue and you are willing to live with two versions of a Snowshoe then that would probably work out well. Be honest with them about your cats and worries and they will work with you to find the right fit. Bonus would be if they have a foster parent willing to come over and get a feel for her so they can really help find the right fit. Your still looking for the same type of passive but energetic personality.

Like I said, I have two. It can be a handful sometimes with two stubborn and sensitive cats. They will have moments when both are in really needy moods and I end up with a lap and shoulderful of cats. Play time is always active because they both want to go for it. But they also care for each other and burn out a ton of energy with each other. Link will come get me when Rocket wants something alot (meowing at me to follow him and leading me to her). Rocket will wait patiently for Link to finish eating before jumping on his back for a wrestling match (she is tiny and he is big but he is gentle). I think the moments of maddness are worth the precious ones... most of the time. You could get a nonSiamese though. We have a third cat who isn't a Siamese in the house. He gets along fine with the other two. They annoy him at moments but Rocket loves to cuddle up with him and get groomed. He just doesn't have the same energy level and sometimes it feels like he is speaking a different language when it cones to their interactions. But he is the alpha in our house and Link follows his lead too. So it works. A good sort of analogy is that Fury is the godfather, Link is his muscle, and Rocket is his spoiled sheltered daughter. Sounds funny but it works if you watch them.

Just apply the same careful picking and it will work out.

20170502_172656.jpg

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, K - I knew you'd give sound advice.

Lucy: welcome to TCS; I should have said more than, "she's absolutely gorgeous," but the truth is that I was laughing so hard I couldn't type. "I got my first cat, and it's a Snowshoe," is the equivalent of, "I got my first car, and it's a Lamborghini."

They are, indeed, an handful; incredibly intelligent and curious, they the only "naturally dominant" cats I've ever met. They're also Here's a recent "welcome" thread from the New Cats On The Block forum:

New!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
The active breeds certainly prefer similarly active cats. If you do get another cat, I'd reccommend either another Snowshoe, or a Siamese, Balinese, Oriental (Shorthair or Longhair), Thai, Abyssinian, Japanese Bobtail, or Cornish Rex. You could either get one from a breeder or check out purebred rescue groups.

Lucy Lue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, K - I knew you'd give sound advice.

Lucy: welcome to TCS; I should have said more than, "she's absolutely gorgeous," but the truth is that I was laughing so hard I couldn't type. "I got my first cat, and it's a Snowshoe," is the equivalent of, "I got my first car, and it's a Lamborghini."

They are, indeed, an handful; incredibly intelligent and curious, they the only "naturally dominant" cats I've ever met. They're also Here's a recent "welcome" thread from the New Cats On The Block forum:

New!

Lol well thankyou! yeah I had zero idea what I was getting myself into.....here I am thinking I'm getting a Garfield...lol little did I know...

Lucy Lue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With how you are describing her I would go under a year for the new one. I have two Snowshoes myself. Link was a year old when Rocket joined us; she was 4 months old. Because Link is a protective personality (along with the high energy and smarts side of Snowshoe) he took Rocket under his wing. He is super protective of his sister. If she cries out he suddenly appears skidding into the room to protect her. But their ages and being both still in the kitten mindset meant that they both wanted to play (alot). I don't think you need an 8-12 week old though that maybe too young for her.

She would probably be fine with any cat between 6 months and a year. I probably wouldn't go older than a year with the personality you've mentioned; unless it is exactly the right personality. Only because adults have their place in the world figured out so you may have a harder time getting them to get along or for the new one to accept her dominance and lead. However, if you found just the right one she could accept it just fine.

A foster group or someone who really raised the cat/kitten is probably best. You want to find someone who really knows the personailty of the cat you are getting. If you have a siamese rescue and you are willing to live with two versions of a Snowshoe then that would probably work out well. Be honest with them about your cats and worries and they will work with you to find the right fit. Bonus would be if they have a foster parent willing to come over and get a feel for her so they can really help find the right fit. Your still looking for the same type of passive but energetic personality.

Like I said, I have two. It can be a handful sometimes with two stubborn and sensitive cats. They will have moments when both are in really needy moods and I end up with a lap and shoulderful of cats. Play time is always active because they both want to go for it. But they also care for each other and burn out a ton of energy with each other. Link will come get me when Rocket wants something alot (meowing at me to follow him and leading me to her). Rocket will wait patiently for Link to finish eating before jumping on his back for a wrestling match (she is tiny and he is big but he is gentle). I think the moments of maddness are worth the precious ones... most of the time. You could get a nonSiamese though. We have a third cat who isn't a Siamese in the house. He gets along fine with the other two. They annoy him at moments but Rocket loves to cuddle up with him and get groomed. He just doesn't have the same energy level and sometimes it feels like he is speaking a different language when it cones to their interactions. But he is the alpha in our house and Link follows his lead too. So it works. A good sort of analogy is that Fury is the godfather, Link is his muscle, and Rocket is his spoiled sheltered daughter. Sounds funny but it works if you watch them.

Just apply the same careful picking and it will work out.

View attachment 181235
I'm already getting overwhelmed thinking about having 2 cats especially siamese. The main reason I chose siamese is because it was easy on my allergies. Now I'm starting to learn I don't think I'm allergic to cats at all just the dander and such that they bring on there fur from outside.
Very lovely photo btw, Marley hates anything that has to do with outside. Every single sound she hears terrifies her...which makes me bringing down her energy even more of a challenge. When she was younger I bought her a harness... haha nope. After a few times she associated the harness with outside and was not having it. Marley came into my room this morning to sit on my chest and bite my toes to wake me up. Your cats look perfect together!!!
All of this info seems very difficult, I'm already getting discouraged honestly.
I totally thought i was a cat person all my life..and then comes Marley. Lol
But your analogy is genus, great way to look at it. Side note i thought about getting a dog in the near future, buuuttt Marley will not even tolerate my bfs dog. He's a black lab, ignores Marley 95% of the time when she hisses and tries to smack his butt lol. She's been around him for like 8 months now...will I ever be able to get a new puppy? Or is that justg asking for trouble??!! Kieka Kieka 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every cat is different. My Snowshoe bosses my veterinarian's English Mastiff around as though he were a 200+ pound mouse - the dog is truly frightened of her, which seems impossible until one examines the fact that the cat's reflexes and reaction times are perhaps one-sixth those of a dog.

Please don't be discouraged; they're incredibly beautiful cats (yours is especially lovely), and their temperament mellows substantially around age three. I think I'd take Kieka's advice here - a playmate might be the perfect solution. I also think that Abyeb has a point regarding high energy breeds - and an Oriental might be perfect, since they're generally a trifle more laid back, but equally playful, and very accepting of other cats. Both Kieka and Abyeb have spent their whole Lives around cats, and consistently offer some of the best advice on TCS.

The bottom line, however, is this (and this is borne out by every Snowshoe owner I've ever known): Snowshoes are incredibly intelligent, and absolutely determined to investigate everything within their sight. They're like small, furry post-doc students - determined to learn everything they can about what interests them. My only advice here is to play with yours as often as time allows, and keep your toes covered.

Lucy Lue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Every cat is different. My Snowshoe bosses my veterinarian's English Mastiff around as though he were a 200+ pound mouse - the dog is truly frightened of her, which seems impossible until one examines the fact that the cat's reflexes and reaction times are perhaps one-sixth those of a dog.

Please don't be discouraged; they're incredibly beautiful cats (yours is especially lovely), and their temperament mellows substantially around age three. I think I'd take Kieka's advice here - a playmate might be the perfect solution. I also think that Abyeb has a point regarding high energy breeds - and an Oriental might be perfect, since they're generally a trifle more laid back, but equally playful, and very accepting of other cats. Both Kieka and Abyeb have spent their whole Lives around cats, and consistently offer some of the best advice on TCS.

The bottom line, however, is this (and this is borne out by every Snowshoe owner I've ever known): Snowshoes are incredibly intelligent, and absolutely determined to investigate everything within their sight. They're like small, furry post-doc students - determined to learn everything they can about what interests them. My only advice here is to play with yours as often as time allows, and keep your toes covered.

Thanks again, Okay currently trying to eliminate discouraged feeling lol. I really appreciate the support. It's like I'm torn. Part of me says get another cat (then when I think about all that's required my anxiety kicks in) then part of me says give her to your male friend that loves siamese and can appreciate her for her. ( then I have that guilt feeling about her adjusting to a new owner and environment) plus she's my first cat as an adult. I'm glad I now have the tools to decided wisely about getting another cat, but if not hopefully she will just be happy being an only cat.

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you dedicate the time to play with her and develop a good solid routine when home she will be a breeze.

I never meant to have two. Link was practically an only cat (Fury can't keep up with him) so I would dedicate tine each evening and before work to play with him. I am a creature of habit and tend to do things in the same order before and after work. After a while I realized Link adopted to my routine and as long as I followed it he was much calmer and relaxed. When I differ he gets anxious and more clingy.

While you may think two doubles the drama it doesn't. Rocket got dropped on me and Link loved her. They latched onto each other most of the time so it reduces the time I had to dedicate to Link directly. It just when I don't follow routine (go out with friends after work for example) that they get super clingy. Those moments are when I feel a little overwhelmed but I can plan things earlier or later so that I am there for the bedtime routine or just enjoy the moments of then wanting to be there. I do love getting to see them interact and love that they have each other during the day.

Lucy Lue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you dedicate the time to play with her and develop a good solid routine when home she will be a breeze.

I never meant to have two. Link was practically an only cat (Fury can't keep up with him) so I would dedicate tine each evening and before work to play with him. I am a creature of habit and tend to do things in the same order before and after work. After a while I realized Link adopted to my routine and as long as I followed it he was much calmer and relaxed. When I differ he gets anxious and more clingy.

While you may think two doubles the drama it doesn't. Rocket got dropped on me and Link loved her. They latched onto each other most of the time so it reduces the time I had to dedicate to Link directly. It just when I don't follow routine (go out with friends after work for example) that they get super clingy. Those moments are when I feel a little overwhelmed but I can plan things earlier or later so that I am there for the bedtime routine or just enjoy the moments of then wanting to be there. I do love getting to see them interact and love that they have each other during the day.
Okay so put her on a schedule. They makes perfect since. I definitely don't have a set schedule at all ..i play with her here and there..shes sits in the window for a bit, starting becoming vocal then starts bringing me her toys lol. Okay starting tomorrow morning i'm going to start that.
Thank You so much

thecatzmeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your kitty is beautiful! My Siamese is a brat too, although not Snowshoe! He'd be much happier as the only cat but that's just not feasible. On top of his "all about me" attitude, he also has anxiety issues. Despite the challenges they bring to the table, siamese are still my favorite!

Attachments

Lucy Lue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your kitty is beautiful! My Siamese is a brat too, although not Snowshoe! He'd be much happier as the only cat but that's just not feasible. On top of his "all about me" attitude, he also has anxiety issues. Despite the challenges they bring to the table, siamese are still my favorite!
Wow yours is beautiful as well...See you seem like you really understand them. Why can't I feel that confident about her? I guess having a male would be different too. Idk too much about the siamese breed anymore...the main reason I wanted a cat was because I didn't have the time and I wasn't yet ready for a dog and all the attention they needed. So I feel like I'm constantly battling with myself and the choice I made to adopt her. She is very sweet, just not sure if shes best off living with me. I've also considered giving her to my male friend who's been wanting a siamese for a while. But I fear she won't adjust etc. Then I think 19 more years with her?.... thecatzmeow thecatzmeow

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the main reason I wanted a cat was because I didn't have the time and I wasn't yet ready for a dog and all the attention they needed.

Then I think 19 more years with her?

In your other thread, you said, "I plan on having a baby within the next year, traveling etc...." Forgive my seeming impertinent, but I'm old and your very young, and perceived impertinence of the gift of old age to youth: if you cannot find the time for a dog, and a caring for a cat - an animal who asks for very, very little, and who will Love you more truly than any Human being ever shall - where will you find the time and commitment to care for a baby for those same nineteen years?

Lucy Lue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In your other thread, you said, "I plan on having a baby within the next year, traveling etc...." Forgive my seeming impertinent, but I'm old and your very young, and perceived impertinence of the gift of old age to youth: if you cannot find the time for a dog, and a caring for a cat - an animal who asks for very, very little, and who will Love you more truly than any Human being ever shall - where will you find the time and commitment to care for a baby for those same nineteen years?

Well I've raised many babies, I have experience with babies, a baby can be taken out of your house into the world, a baby has both a mother and a father as well as the community to help with its upbringing.
A dog also can be taken out the house to travel, a dog is easier to adapt to new areas and moving. Also there's an option to get a newborn puppy So there's opportunity to raise it as you please. So I rather not compare my cat to a dog or a baby. She requires much more than very little. If she did her own thing or (very little) I wouldn't be overwhelmed by her. I've grown up with animals of all kinds, especially cats. And never have I experienced such a needy cat. Which is why I said her breed requires so much.
I understand the confusion, but a cat that can't leave the house, that needs constant attention, doesn't like going outside, can't adjust to frequent moving, and will live for 18+ years? When I say I want a child and dog I don't mean in a few months I'm planning my life for the next decade. So when this entire story wasn't because I can't care for Marley it was what's the best decision I can make for her in the long run.

Last edited:

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Siamese (and related breeds) are super intelligent, fun, and loving. They're absolutely amazing companions. They are also very high maintenance cats.

I completely understand how you feel. I was shocked by how much work it is to care for a young Siamese kitten when I got Freya. While the videos of her saying hello, playing fetch and catch, etc. make it look like she's the sweetest cat imaginable (and she is very sweet), they don't show the hard times. In addition to all the tricks and how loving she is, she also drove me nuts until a month an a half ago at about 8 months age (she calmed down a lot then, and while still high maintenance, and has some issues she needs work on, the worst seems past.)

Now for some of your concerns.

-If my cat is any indication, yours should be calming down a bit (not as much as you'd want, but for me it made all the difference) any day now
-While cats don't like change, as long as it isn't too frequent or major, they can learn and adapt with a bit of patience and work, and Siamese bond closely to the humans in their life, which helps a lot if you need to move to a new house at some point
-Siamese cats are more like owning a dog than a cat in a lot of ways ( both affection and their needs), so, while she'll get calmer, she'll still be a bit needier than most cats.
-assuming a good introduction and compatible personalities, she'll probably be happier with a companion. I work from home and live with a friend who does the same, and we still wonder if we shouldn't get Freya a companion.
-the worst is probably behind you, but if you really feel she's too much, then, especially if you take it slowly, giving her to your friend probably will work out for her.

With that said, what particular issues are you having with her?

-seperation anxiety?
-biting/play aggression?
-screaming?
-litter box issues?
-scratching issues?
-vomiting?

At least some issues can be ameliorated to an extent, so if you let us know which are making you consider re-homing her, we can probably give better advice.

Lucy Lue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Siamese (and related breeds) are super intelligent, fun, and loving. They're absolutely amazing companions. They are also very high maintenance cats.

I completely understand how you feel. I was shocked by how much work it is to care for a young Siamese kitten when I got Freya. While the videos of her saying hello, playing fetch and catch, etc. make it look like she's the sweetest cat imaginable (and she is very sweet), they don't show the hard times. In addition to all the tricks and how loving she is, she also drove me nuts until a month an a half ago at about 8 months age (she calmed down a lot then, and while still high maintenance, and has some issues she needs work on, the worst seems past.)

Now for some of your concerns.

-If my cat is any indication, yours should be calming down a bit (not as much as you'd want, but for me it made all the difference) any day now
-While cats don't like change, as long as it isn't too frequent or major, they can learn and adapt with a bit of patience and work, and Siamese bond closely to the humans in their life, which helps a lot if you need to move to a new house at some point
-Siamese cats are more like owning a dog than a cat in a lot of ways ( both affection and their needs), so, while she'll get calmer, she'll still be a bit needier than most cats.
-assuming a good introduction and compatible personalities, she'll probably be happier with a companion. I work from home and live with a friend who does the same, and we still wonder if we shouldn't get Freya a companion.
-the worst is probably behind you, but if you really feel she's too much, then, especially if you take it slowly, giving her to your friend probably will work out for her.

With that said, what particular issues are you having with her?

-seperation anxiety?
-biting/play aggression?
-screaming?
-litter box issues?
-scratching issues?
-vomiting?

At least some issues can be ameliorated to an extent, so if you let us know which are making you consider re-homing her, we can probably give better advice.
First off thank you for answering my concerns and trying to understand them. My concern was I was afraid as I started to have a family (babies) moving trying to settle down that it may be best to be with someone who is stable and happy with a snowshoe being there only companion. Now the only reason im even speaking of rehoming now is because she IS still young, and I figured if there would be a time, it would be before she becomes and adult. Not because I can longer care for her. Ive read they dont adapt to change well, and im a 24 year old that travels frequently..she's almost a year old and it seems like hours of play and she's still biting my hand to keep playing. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get another cat to keep her company because of her personality. I was also afraid once I do decide to have a baby her aggressive behavior would continue. All of this is me trying to understand her and what I could be possibly dealing with in the future dont get me wrong I love her, really don't even think id be able to rehome her if I chose that route. ..just the thought alone makes me.sick... I just want to know all of my options because I truly only want what's best for her in the end. She truly is a sweet cat just bratty and demanding...lol
sargon sargon

Last edited by a moderator:

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
In no particular order...

If you decide to re-home her, sooner is better than later, but since you have a home in mind, you can hedge your bets a bit. Have your friend spend more time with your cat, especially playing with her. If you decide to re-home her, then spending a couple of months building a bond between them will help smooth it, and if not, your cat gets some additional play, taking a little bit of pressure of of you, and you get a better cat-sitter for that travel (which I have to say is the one thing that probably is as problematic as people say, when it comes to Siamese and related breeds.)

As to your concerns,
Children and cats are a mixed bag. On the negative side, the cat may be jealous and both cat and child will need supervision and training to get along, and you probably can expect some misbehavior from your cat for a time. Millions of households have children and cats and seem to do okay, so as long as you put in the work(and you seem like the sort of person who will), it will probably work out.
There's a positive aspect to children and cats. Children have lots of energy to play with cats, and, parenthood tends to lead to a more routine and ordered life (which cats like.)
So, IMO, there's no reason why you can't make it work, if that is 2hat you want.

As to a companion cat, I've struggled with that question for my own cat, and there isn't a clear answer, because the results vary. Sometimes you get two cats who become nearly inseparable, sometimes they barely interact, and sometimes it is a negative experience for them.

Ultiamtely, nothing that I've read makes me think that you need to give your cat up, she's a little bit of a bratty young thing, but nothing too unusual for her breed or age.

Siamese (and close breeds like snowshoes) do like to be a challange. They're intelligent enough to not only know what they want, but to think up alternate plans to achieve their goals. The first week I had Freya, she (playfully) bit my right foot, and when scolded she stopped and then attacked my left foot two seconds later, since she decided i must surely have only meant that she wasn't allowed to bite my right foot. Months alter, i finally got her to (mostly) stop biting feet for attention, and that behavior was immediately replaced by her "punching" (as in flying kicks with her front paws) my leg instead. That's just how Siamese cats are. ;)