1 week old kittens - Stray mom, kitten breathng rapidly and twitching

nels.mika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I recently came into care of three 1 week old kittens. Their mother was a stray living in our garage. One of the three seems to be breathing quite fast off and on, and is also twitching. The others are twitching also, I am led to believe they are dreaming, idk if they do that, but the one is the only one with such pronounced breathing. Earlier I tried to feed them and they all refused and turned their heads away, but the one breathing heavily opens his mouth to mew but i haven't heard him mew, like he has no voice. He also was doing this weird hiccup type thing, but I can't be sure if it wasn't just the sound of him trying to suckle. Is this normal? I read that kittens should have a breathing rate of 20-30 breaths a min, but when I counted (hard to tell Cruz hes twitching sometimes) I counted almost 100 breaths a min. I'm going to be so sad if he dies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nels.mika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just picked him up and he started sneezing. He left little droplets on my finder

nels.mika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is the Mom still there and feeding or just you?
Any fleas present?
We thought they were dead so we took them inside- but they were fine just a little cold so we set them back in the nest. After an hour she did not return so we took them back. Should we leave them for longer? We have had them for almost 3 hrs inside. No fleas from what I can see.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to send you a link that gives great information about newborn kittens. Click on the link and please read the info. I think it will help a lot! Feeding newborns should be done a certain way. I am sure others will be along to help soon. You’re awesome for helping these babies! Hang in there. More help will be along if they haven’t posted by the time I send this. Hand Rearing Kittens: What You Need To Know To Save A Newborn’s Life – Cat Articles

catsknowme catsknowme Are you online?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you keep them warm where the mom can get to them? She'll probably be back but they need to be warm. Mom may know you are there and be waiting for you to leave. You can warm some dry rice and put it in a clean sock as a heat source. The silent mew may be an attempt to hiss. Hard to say. Rapid breathing while you held it? May be because you are holding it or it may be having some respiratory issues. Monitor them as you can to see if Mom returns.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953

nels.mika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
H
Can you keep them warm where the mom can get to them? She'll probably be back but they need to be warm. Mom may know you are there and be waiting for you to leave. You can warm some dry rice and put it in a clean sock as a heat source. The silent mew may be an attempt to hiss. Hard to say. Rapid breathing while you held it? May be because you are holding it or it may be having some respiratory issues. Monitor them as you can to see if Mom returns.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953
Its 37 degrees f here, in the garage not much better. The mom was sitting with them but not right next to them which made me think they were dead.m, that and they were not moving at all. She fled when we took them. will she still take them under these circumstances? Also would a rice bag be warm enough in 37 degree farenheit?

nels.mika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Currently trying to bottle feed them kitten formula and they are all rejecting and acting fussy. Yelling and turning away and such. All 3 have little sneezes, sneezing clear droplets

nels.mika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Formula is lukewarm, followed the advice of kittenlady on YouTube. feeding on stomach but they aren't taking. Just not hungry? We picked them up at 9:30ish. It's now 12:16am

nels.mika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Formula is lukewarm, followed the advice of kittenlady on YouTube. feeding on stomach but they aren't taking. Just not hungry? We picked them up at 9:30ish. It's now 12:16am
They are suckling randomly in their sleep, but they are not crying though they are capable of doing so. I would guess not hungry if it wasn't that they haven't eaten in at least 3 hours.

I did get 2 of the 3 to pee by stimulating, and 1 of the 2 to pop also

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
kittens whom are used to momma, are often reluctant to bottle. It will be easier with a dropper or a needleless syringe. More difficult for you, but easier for them...

Be sure they are warm when you feed them. If they arent warm, you can try with some sugar water. Glucose / dextrose is best, white caro syrup or honey solved in water is OK too...
Such a sugar water doesnt need digesting, so you can give it also when they are cold.

With a little luck momma will take them back, especielly if you are a food source for momma.
BUT if YOU are able to handraise them and foster, they will get a better future than semiferale homeless cats....

The optimal is if momma agrees to come inside to you and raise them in your place. Much to hope for, but such does happens.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, definitely encourage mama to stay around by providing food and water so she doesn't have to hunt. Her body heat is needed by the kittens. Kittens can survive that kind of temps if they are huddled together in a soft nest. Are they exposed, or can you see if mama will accept a shelter? if they are in your garage that helps. The only way to know if they are alright is to get a food scale that weighs in grams or fractions of ounces and see if they are gaining weight each day. If they are, they are just not hungry. If they aren't, then the dropper would be needed.

nels.mika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all!! I will be getting a scale asap. I found a dropper and serialized it and got them to take a few drops each! I also mixed some sugar in some water and rubbed that on their little gums. I will try honey next time! I assumed they were like human babies in that they couldn't have honey. We are also stimulating before and after feeding just to be safe! and burping them. They are so cute! They are still mewing and fussing, so I think they are in good condition! Currently in the basket with heating pad on low and a fuzzy blanket I was hoping would mimic mammas fur. We decided not to take them back to the garage as we saw a Tom cat run out just as we were about to. The dropper was the saving grace! You guys are life savers! Literally. Thank you so much! You all are so kindhearted and helpful. ❤

One more thing; would you reccomend I raise them as a beginner, or take them to an animal rescue? I heard animal rescue might not be the best option because not always is someone available to feed kittens over night, every two hours, etc?

nels.mika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oops forgot to add; they are still sneezing, with and without holding, and twitching/breathing fast but honestly I think they are dreaming when it comes to the twitching and breathing? Both appear to happen more when they have been asleep for a few mins, as when we wake them they stop. The breathing gets pretty normal as soon as we gently wake them. The sneezing still concerns me though

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you all!! I will be getting a scale asap. I found a dropper and serialized it and got them to take a few drops each! I also mixed some sugar in some water and rubbed that on their little gums. I will try honey next time! I assumed they were like human babies in that they couldn't have honey. We are also stimulating before and after feeding just to be safe! and burping them. They are so cute! They are still mewing and fussing, so I think they are in good condition! Currently in the basket with heating pad on low and a fuzzy blanket I was hoping would mimic mammas fur. We decided not to take them back to the garage as we saw a Tom cat run out just as we were about to. The dropper was the saving grace! You guys are life savers! Literally. Thank you so much! You all are so kindhearted and helpful. ❤

One more thing; would you reccomend I raise them as a beginner, or take them to an animal rescue? I heard animal rescue might not be the best option because not always is someone available to feed kittens over night, every two hours, etc?
Its usually best if you do take care of them. Perhaps under the rescues umbrella, being their foster home so to speak.

One big reason is, the touchy point with many shelters is, they simply dont have places for taking care of infants... And so, its very common infants gets pts. The finder whom did leave them perhaps get assured: Tx madame, we shall take care... But...
So, IF leave them in, be really sure they do have caretakers lined up....

But, by the sound of it, you are quite resourcefull, and find solutions for problems as soon you notice there may be problems.

Believe me, you are better than average for a newbe...

Also, if YOU raise them, you will get this experience, YOU will be the big hero...

ps. I want to add, I too think and hope this uneven breathing was simply hissing, or even - purring...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps. Fostering them under the rescues umbrella has the big advantage you will get help with vet costs through them, and possibly also costs for cat food and litter... Also, they help out with finding adoption homes.

The disadvantage is, if you want to keep one of them ("foster failure"), you will pay adoption fee alike everyone else.

nels.mika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your kind response. I don't feel better than average haha I've been rife with anxiety and doubt all night but I will absolutely keep that in mind about the rescues. I know a pretty commendable one that I think I will call and ask about fostering them under the umbrella, as you say? I am going to bring them into a vet soon just to be sure of the sneezing, and eventually for feline aids and all that. But I think I'll definitely try my hand at raising them. my schedule is pretty clear due to covid19 so every two hours is no biggie for me. thank you all so much again, honestly. Much love to everyone! You're all wonderful kindhearted souls and you will never know how much I appreciate your help.