1 Week Old Bottle Baby Not Eating Help*

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hello all. I picked up two 1 week old bottle babies last week. They have been doing great, eating, going potty, gaining weight. Until last night, one of the babies has refused to eat. He pushes the bottle away, doesn’t have any interest in eating. He’s fine otherwise, sleeping fine, still going pee. He has lost 5 grams over the past 12 hours.

Is there anything I can do for him? I checked his temp, and it was good. I’ve been force feeding him the best I can, trying not to aspire him. He has a snuggle kitty; and he tries to suckle on her, but not the bottle. And his sibling is doing completely fine. Please help!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s difficult to say what is going on. Have you been stimulating them to poop? Sometimes constipation can make a kitten feel full and not like eating. Try adding a drop or two of olive oil to his milk. It should help loosen his bowels.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s difficult to say what is going on. Have you been stimulating them to poop? Sometimes constipation can make a kitten feel full and not like eating. Try adding a drop or two of olive oil to his milk. It should help loosen his bowels.
He did poop yesterday and it was solid, not like normal softer bottle baby poop. Thank you, I will try that!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a baby that scared me for 4 days not pooping. He got a few drops of olive oil and the next days lots of drops of olive oil. He didn’t poop for 4 days and when he did it was hard!!! he was just a little malnourished from before we got him and really dehydrated. Since your baby has already pooped he should be just fine with a few drops of oil. Comfort brushing with short small Jj shaped strokes using a toothbrush might help remind him of mom. I’m always for putting baby kittens on your chest for comfort.
If he still refuses to eat please keep an eye out for kitten dehydration. Sub q fluids at the vet can save fragile baby kitties lives! :crossfingers: He starts eating and thriving again! People have also used probiotics, (I have heard of people using goats milk) and vitamin b to help kittens that are not doing well.

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Be also sure he is enough hydrated...
What exactly kmr do you use? Sometimes its necesary to change the kmr, even with reputable kmr...
Goats milk is a common alternative in such cases.
He was taken to the vet today and they gave him some fluids! He wasn’t horribly dehydrated.

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a baby that scared me for 4 days not pooping. He got a few drops of olive oil and the next days lots of drops of olive oil. He didn’t poop for 4 days and when he did it was hard!!! he was just a little malnourished from before we got him and really dehydrated. Since your baby has already pooped he should be just fine with a few drops of oil. Comfort brushing with short small Jj shaped strokes using a toothbrush might help remind him of mom. I’m always for putting baby kittens on your chest for comfort.
If he still refuses to eat please keep an eye out for kitten dehydration. Sub q fluids at the vet can save fragile baby kitties lives! :crossfingers: He starts eating and thriving again! People have also used probiotics, (I have heard of people using goats milk) and vitamin b to help kittens that are not doing well.
I will definitely try the oil! It seems to have helped a lot of people. Like I said, we took him to the vet for fluids today. I do have goat milk, I might try that too if the oil doesn’t work. Thank you all!! I will update you/ come back for more questions!! You guys are always such a big help. I always stress cause I always here horror stories about how the kitten stops eating the night before and they die overnight, trying my best to avoid that at all cost!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:woohoo:I’m glad to hear it! :cheerleader:

Yes the fluids are a life saver. If he refuses again you can try Caro syrup/honey on his gum followed by syringe feeding some drops of pedialite if need be. Many kittens have been saved by syrup on the gums or a saline infusion. You can mix a sick kitten’s formula with pedialite Or make them a bottle of half formula half pedialite.

I hope he is over the hump! :crossfingers:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens are fed by weight. How much does he weigh? It is important that he get the proper amount of formula based on his weight. If you tell me how much he weighs I will tell you exactly how much formula to give. This will prevent future problems with dehydration and constipation.

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all. Unfortunately Willy (we have finally named him) has taken a turn for the worst. He got his appetite back Saturday night but then started getting diarrhea. It is an orange/yellow color, but looks curdled. I have been checking his temp regularly. Water in his formula has been switched to pedialyte. I’m doing the best I can do for him. He has also lost some weight. He is now 179 grams.

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens are fed by weight. How much does he weigh? It is important that he get the proper amount of formula based on his weight. If you tell me how much he weighs I will tell you exactly how much formula to give. This will prevent future problems with dehydration and constipation.
He is 179 grams as of an hour ago! That would be great, thank you! I might try syringe feeding him just so I know he’s getting the right amount.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good you use pedialyte. Very important now when he has diarrhea. As much as he will take. The salts there are essentially of body fluids concentration, so no danger of overdosing.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your kitten may have coccidia, which is a parasitic infection in the intestines. This may be the cause of his diarrhea. He will need to see a vet for Albon or Ponazuril to cure it.

In the meantime, his weight of 179 grams (6.3 ounces) is not bad for a week and a half old kitten. He should weigh 8 ounces at 2 weeks. He should gain about 4 ounces (113 grams) each week.

He needs a minimum of 50.4 mLs of formula per 24 hours. If fed every 2 hours this would be 4.2 mLs minimum at each feeding. He can have more, of course, if he wants it. Are you feeding through the night as well?

samanthalogan samanthalogan

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I am feeding in the night! Great thank you, I’ll definitely make sure he gets amount! Also can he be treated for coccidia now? Or do the vets usually like to wait till he’s bigger? I work at the shelter where he’s from, so I will definitely get a poop sample in the labs next time I’m in!

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay guys, another question. The vet at my shelter thinks his body is rejecting the formula. They suggested I switch him to goat milk. Is goats milk gonna be enough for him? Also what kind of goats milk? I know they sell it at the grocery store, but I know there’s also a powdered version made specifically for animals. I wanna make sure goats milk is gonna have enough nutrients and such for him before I switch over.