1 of 3 female cats in household pregnant

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt1964

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, the kitten that was having trouble latching is still struggling to gain weight. Yesterday she only gained 2 grams. I was wondering how much and how often I should supplement with KMS. I give KMS to momma cat three times a day.

Also, the first time trying to bottle feed the kitten, it didn't like it at all. Perhaps my technique is wrong?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try using a small syringe or dropper. Wrap the kitten in a towel like a burrito with only its head out. Feed tummy down, head up, never on the back. Put drops in the side of the kitten's mouth allowing for time to swallow and breathe.

Try for 2mL's every 2 hours for now. Let us know how this goes. How much does this kitten weigh now?

kittkatt1964

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It weighs 317 grams, and is 15 days old.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This kitten does not need supplementing. The kitten weighs over 11 ounces. The goal for a 2-week-old kitten is 8 ounces.

It's okay for a kitten who is doing well weight-wise to have a day of smaller gains here and there. :)

Last edited:

kittkatt1964

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, okay. It's just that I'm so worried because it has trouble latching and gets knocked off easily by the other kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I understand, but if the weight is correct, the kitten is getting plenty! :)

kittkatt1964

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankyou for the reassurance. :)

kittkatt1964

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, all five kittens have come out of the nesting box and refuse to stay in there at all. We need to get a nightlight so we don't accidentally step on them in the middle of the night. LOL

My big concern right now is, momma cat doesn't seem to be teaching them to excrete in the litterbox.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
kittkatt1964 kittkatt1964

Start putting them in before and after meals. Take a little paw and show them how to dig.

Also put any poop they do outside the box, into the box so they see it and smell it.

Is their box kitten-sized? Make sure it is near where they spend most of their time.

Kittens usually catch on very quickly and will learn from each other! :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they confined to a small area with multiple litter box options? They are too small to remember to look for a box.

kittkatt1964

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The past few days, Mila, the littermate of Cere, has been grooming the kittens and three of them sleep with her at night in a little box (Cere is their mom). She also comes to them whenever they cry out in some imagined distress. She'll even trill to get them to come to her. Is it normal for an aunt to care for their sister's kittens? They don't seem to try to nurse on Mila. They just play with her and sleep with her.

kittkatt1964

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bonded cats will frequently co-parent! :)
Okay,however, Cere (the kitten's mother) doesn't seem to mind Mila being with the kittens, but when Cere is nursing them, and Mila comes near, momma will growl at her. Should I put Mila in another room when Cere is nursing?

Another concern I have is Mila and Cere's mother is really hostile towards the kittens, and I lock her down in the basement when I have to go somewhere because I don't want to take a chance of her harming them. Grandma cat (she's just 2 years old) went into heat last week, and since she came out of heat, now she hardly lets us near her. She used to lay in my lap, and since I had to scold her for being ruff with the babies, she's now aloof.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you look into borrowing a trap from someone to spay Mila and Grandma?

If not, the Humane Socity of Dayton still does low-cost spays for non-ferals. You should ask about their pricing.

This organization does $60 spays:

Welcome to the Pet Advocate League

This organization has low-income spays as well:

https://www.sicsa.org/fix/

It would be worth borrowing the money or a trap to get your cats done. The heat cycles and pregnancies will continue otherwise, and you'll have bigger problems.

It sounds like the mama kitty has her sister under control during nursing. The hiss means "stay away". No need to interfere unless there's a problem.

Please start figuring out how to get these females fixed.