1 of 3 female cats in household pregnant

kittkatt1964

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have three cats, all female.  One is the mother of the other two who came from the same litter.  We weren't able to get them speutered (combo of spayed neutered because we forget which is for males and which female :p ).  Well now one of the young females is pregnant (she's about 10 months old).  Sometimes they all get along and other times they hiss and growl and fight.  Is it possible the other two will harm the other's kittens?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where are you located? We can help you to find a low cost clinic. They all need to be fixed for their health and also to get along.

The pregnant one may need privacy now, but will definitely need her own space when she goes into labor and while the kittens are young.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do they all go outside, or do you have a tomcat indoors? Of so, I'm afraid it's very likely that all 3 of them are pregnant :/. If you can't deal with that many kittens, it's possible to do a spay/abort for the ones who aren't showing yet.

Yes, the pregnant cat should have privacy to raise her kittens. Some cats will let their sister/mother/daughter babysit, but others aren't that trusting and will be stressed from having the others around. You have to let the mama cat set the rules.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt1964

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@KittKatt1964

Did this kitten mate with her brother?
We have no male cats. 

Update:  Cere had her kittens in the wee hours of the morning yesterday.  I weighed them when I woke up yesterday morning, then this morning.  They all gained between 7 - 18 grams.

My husband insists keeping Cere's mother and sister separate is a mistake because he thinks that will make them jealous, but they keep hissing at her.  Right now, I have them closed down in the basement which has a second litterbox as well as food and water, while Cere and the kittens are up here on the main floor where it is warmer.  

I am supplementing Cere's food with KMR second step (powder which i mix with water).

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They do need to be separated for now.  How many kittens are there?

How did your cat get pregnant?  Does she go outside?

Would you like help finding a low cost spay/neuter clinic?

kittkatt1964

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

They do need to be separated for now.  How many kittens are there?

How did your cat get pregnant?  Does she go outside?

Would you like help finding a low cost spay/neuter clinic?
She goes outside, my husband insists they go outside.

We know the humane society does it for free for feral cats, but they require a humane cage which they rent for $70, which we cannot afford.

We live in Dayton, Ohio.

kittkatt1964

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, and I forgot to mention, Cere had 5 kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is that a refundable deposit? That's been my experience with the Humane Society in Florida. You get the deposit back when the trap is returned. You might want to check on that.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of your cats are going to be pregnant any time now if you let them outside. Kittens are MUCH more expensive than a spay.

The one who just gave birth can get pregnant again within a week of delivery too.

Can you keep them all inside until they are fixed? It's so important.

kittkatt1964

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is that a refundable deposit? That's been my experience with the Humane Society in Florida. You get the deposit back when the trap is returned. You might want to check on that.
Yes, it's refundable, but we can't afford to even put out that money temporarily.   It's been our experience that it only takes a second to take money off the debit account, but at least a week for it to be credited.
All of your cats are going to be pregnant any time now if you let them outside. Kittens are MUCH more expensive than a spay.

The one who just gave birth can get pregnant again within a week of delivery too.

Can you keep them all inside until they are fixed? It's so important.
I'm putting my foot down, and not letting them out.  I'll kill my husband if he let's 'em out LOL

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah it's gonna cost WAY more than $70 to raise kittens, just in food and litter :/. Maybe someone can lend you the deposit? Or, will they let you use someone else's carrier if you can borrow one from a friend? It's a constant struggle to keep intact cats from escaping and even harder if someone living in the house is uncooperative. There's bound to be a slip-up at some point, and then you'll have even more babies. Cats have 2-3 litters a year---can you imagine if all 3 had 5 kittens each time? 30-45 kittens every year? Yikes! I'd hate to see you get overwhelmed with cats and kittens, it doesn't take long at all.

Last edited:

kittkatt1964

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah it's gonna cost WAY more than $70 to raise kittens, just in food and litter :/. Maybe someone can lend you the deposit? Or, will they let you use someone else's carrier if you can borrow one from a friend? It's a constant struggle to keep intact cats from escaping and even harder if someone living in the house is uncooperative. There's bound to be a slip-up at some point, and then you'll have even more babies. Cats have 2-3 litters a year---can you imagine if all 3 had 5 kittens each time? 30-45 kittens every year? Yikes! I'd hate to see you get overwhelmed with cats and kittens, it doesn't take long at all.
The humane society will allow us to use someone else's carrier, but it has to be one of those humane trap carriers, as the free spay/neuter is part of the feral cat program.  Unfortunately, no one we know has one of those.  It's not that we don't want to get them spayed, it's just that right now, we cannot.

Now to another question:

One of Cere's kittens always tilts its head to the right and rolls over onto its back a lot.  I know kittens tend to be clumsy, but this one seems more so.  It's gaining weight just fine though.  Is this something I should be concerned about?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Not if the kitten is otherwise healthy and acts normal. Sounds like a very slight neurological problem.

kittkatt1964

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This is what we saw about an hour ago... I think Cere was grooming herself, then the kittens started nursing.  She looked up at us as though she was confused, then her eyes started closing as though she was falling asleep.

kittkatt1964

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not if the kitten is otherwise healthy and acts normal. Sounds like a very slight neurological problem.
Darn, I thought I had replied to this in my last post, but just saw that part of my reply was somehow omitted. Thank you for the reassurance.  Like I said, the kitten seems to be gaining weight as it should... the first day it only gained 7 grams, the next day, it gained 15 grams and today 14 grams.  It's just as active as the other kittens, but like I said before, extremely clumsy.  This morning, the others gained around 20 grams each.

kittkatt1964

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, the kitten I was talking about that leans to the right I have noticed I need to help it latch onto a nipple for it to gain over 10 grams. Otherwise it only gains around 9 grams. I was thinking of supplementing. Trouble is, the KMR supplement I want to get is at a store harder to get to. The Kroger down the street has wiskas liquid milk replacement. Is that any good? If not, I'll make the effort to get the PetAG KMS.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First, Whiskas Cat Milk is treat milk. It is not kitten formula and does not have proper nutrition.

Second, gaining 9 grams is good! Kittens should gain 6-10 grams a day. Anywhere in there is fine!

Sounds like with your help latching the kitten is doing well!