1 month old kittens not eating.. having diarrhoea and continuously vomiting. Please Help

Dheeksha

Black Cats are full of love ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
2 days ago a mother kitten i feed brought 3 kittens. They weigh only 400 grams. They were covered with fleas, having severe diarrhoea and vomiting mother's milk. So today I gave them ondansetron and feeding them kmr through syringe. But 1 kitten died today afternoon. He was fine till yesterday night. It all happened very fastly. Doctor prescribed metronidazole, probiotics, b complex and ondansetron for the other two kittens. I m giving them kmr & glucose water every alternate hour. They are very lethargic and not moving much.. most of the time they are Just sleeping. I can see they are not well.. What can I do to save them? I am feeling very sad right now. I do not want to lose them. I want to keep them with me. What should I do? Will the other two survive? Please give me some advise

Attachments

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am sorry you are having this issue with the kittens. I don't know how much experience you have had with baby kittens. They are hard. When you are feeding them are you warming the KMR? Are you feeding them in an upright position, so they are sternal, not upside down like a human baby? How did you get the fleas off of them? Are they being kept warm enough? Did the vet talk to you about checking their glucose? Are they pooping and peeing? Did the vet talk to you about giving them a small amount of SQ fluids? Vomiting at that age is very concerning. Kittens go downhill very fast.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am sorry you are having this issue with the kittens. I don't know how much experience you have had with baby kittens. They are hard. When you are feeding them are you warming the KMR? Are you feeding them in an upright position, so they are sternal, not upside down like a human baby? How did you get the fleas off of them? Are they being kept warm enough? Did the vet talk to you about checking their glucose? Are they pooping and peeing? Did the vet talk to you about giving them a small amount of SQ fluids? Vomiting at that age is very concerning. Kittens go downhill very fast.
Yes I m warming the milk before giving it to them and i m feeding them in the right position. i took them with the flea comb after bathing them yesterday. Their mother is not sleeping with them. I hv place them in cardboard box.

How to check their glucose?

One kitten is having diarrhea.. another is not pooping at all but peeing.

I don't know how to give sq fluids to them.

One kitten is not responding much now

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would get them back into the vet as soon as you can. I am sorry they aren't doing well.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can I give metronidazole and dewormer to a 40 day old kitten ( weighs approximately 400 grams) at the same time? Or should I deworm her after metronidazole course has completed?
A mother kitten i used to feed outside brought 3 kittens 4 days ago.. They were covered with fleas, having severe diarrhea. unfortunately two of them died two days ago. Vet prescribed metronidazole, Ondansetron, probiotics, some multivitamins and minerals. I am giving it to her for two days. Her condition improved just a little bit. But she still has vomiting and diarrhea problem and not eating anything on her own. I had to feed her KMR through syringe.
I gave metronidazole to the mother kitten too. Today i have seen there are so many worms in the mother kitten's stool and it is very watery. So should I deworm her now? Can I deworm the kitten also while giving metronidazole? I have Nemocid dewormer with me.. it has the same composition of strongid.. Vets here are not giving proper information. Need your advice please.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry.
If I had given the medications the day she brought them.. they might have survived. My fault.. i didn't give enough attention to them. Those two kittens suffered a lot.. gone through so much pain. I m heartbroken and feel very disgusted about myself.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Sadly, the odds of those kittens surviving were very low and their illness could have many causes. I send my condolences because you loved them and wanted a better outcome for them BUT please accept my encouragement - do not let them die in vain - instead, use this as a teaching moment. Because you are dealing with feral colonies, animal shelter protocols often work best. You can try to share this information with your veterinarian (and learn it yourself)
A Protocoled Response to Diarrhea
And this is an excellent video that, although is for veterinary professionals, offers practical, affordable advice for lay-persons who do kitten rescue ( Kitten Lady offers excellent videos but many individual and rural area rescuers do not have the time, money and other resources available to her situations)

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi , I see nobody in answering you so, I will try and hopefully someone more knowledgeable will jump in. I’m not sure about kittens but I’m pretty sure you can treat mom now. At 40 days old kittens should be eating on their own and moms treatment should not be an issue.
Kittens are on a skinny side but most important right now is to keep them hydrated. Sorry for not being more helpful.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet has given both medications at the same time but the latest shelter protocols are advising using ponazuril to treat for coccidia. You should ask your vet. Are you giving unflavored pedialyte blended 50/50 with good clean water (bottled, filtered or high-quality fresh well water)? Slow hydration is key here - keep kitten warm and give small amounts of warm pedialtye (about 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon) every 10-15 minutes. Rub white Karo corn syrup or honey on the gums to keep blood sugar up. Don't feed formula if kitten is cold - using the corn syrup/ honey will buy you time. If the kitten is cold, the formula won't digest - it will purifying the stomach and make the kitten sicker.
Library

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Continue giving the kitten the metronidazole and other meds prescribed by the vet. It takes 7 to 10 days for the medications to work. Two days is not enough.

Definitely give the mother cat the metronidazole as well. She may also be given the worm meds. I would hold off worming the kitten until he/she finishes a full course of metronidazole. A tiny kitten body can only take so much. Continue syringe feeding the kitten as necessary.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet has given both medications at the same time but the latest shelter protocols are advising using ponazuril to treat for coccidia. You should ask your vet. Are you giving unflavored pedialyte blended 50/50 with good clean water (bottled, filtered or high-quality fresh well water)? Slow hydration is key here - keep kitten warm and give small amounts of warm pedialtye (about 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon) every 10-15 minutes. Rub white Karo corn syrup or honey on the gums to keep blood sugar up. Don't feed formula if kitten is cold - using the corn syrup/ honey will buy you time. If the kitten is cold, the formula won't digest - it will purifying the stomach and make the kitten sicker.
Library
She is vomiting the KMR from yesterday night. I am giving her glucose and pedialyte. If she can't drink formula.. how will she get strength? She looks weak now.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Continue giving the kitten the metronidazole and other meds prescribed by the vet. It takes 7 to 10 days for the medications to work. Two days is not enough.

Definitely give the mother cat the metronidazole as well. She may also be given the worm meds. I would hold off worming the kitten until he/she finishes a full course of metronidazole. A tiny kitten body can only take so much. Continue syringe feeding the kitten as necessary.
She's not able to digest the kmr. Vomiting it everytime I m giving it to her. Are you sure I shouldn't give her the dewormer? Her diarrhoea has controlled for now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you tried goats milk? It also sounds like she may need more nausea medication.