1 month old kitten who doesn't drink milk

AB00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Greetings, a kitten was found on the streets alone 12 days ago, looks like a month old, she refused to drink milk, but eats just fine, how will that impact her health on the long and the short run? i always thought that kittens must drink their mother's milk for 2 months to be healthy, could she end up with health problems later on?

also from the pictures, how old do you think she is?

Thanks

Attachments

Amni Alia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she does look like a month or a month and a half old.. you can substitute with kitten goat's formulae milk

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her ears and paws are large so I think she's over 2 months old, but she may be undersized due to malnutrition. Do you know how much she weighs?

If you want to add milk to her wet food, that can help to get extra nutrition/calories into her. But cow's milk isn't good for cats, can you get goat's milk or special kitten milk? And the milk isn't strictly necessary if she's eating balanced cat food, so if she really doesn't like milk don't worry about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AB00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she does look like a month or a month and a half old.. you can substitute with kitten goat's formulae milk
Thank you, but any idea if
Her ears and paws are large so I think she's over 2 months old, but she may be undersized due to malnutrition. Do you know how much she weighs?

If you want to add milk to her wet food, that can help to get extra nutrition/calories into her. But cow's milk isn't good for cats, can you get goat's milk or special kitten milk? And the milk isn't strictly necessary if she's eating balanced cat food, so if she really doesn't like milk don't worry about it.
She will be sent to me via car in a 14 hours ride, and i will do my best to get her to drink kitten lactose free milk, i'm just fearing that she already spent 2 weeks with no milk, and how will that affect her health long term

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She should be fine, as long as they were giving her balanced cat food. If they gave her an unbalanced diet, that may affect her health a bit, but being so young, she should be able to overcome that after some time on a balanced diet. You can ask your vet about vitamin supplements if you're really worried, but don't give vitamins without a vet's advice---it's easy to give the wrong amount and unbalance her diet in the other direction.

AB00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She should be fine, as long as they were giving her balanced cat food. If they gave her an unbalanced diet, that may affect her health a bit, but being so young, she should be able to overcome that after some time on a balanced diet
Okay so i should be sure to feed healthy wet food (no grains?) and kitten specific milk, she should be feed at least 4 times a day, is it okay to feed here quality dry food also?
Also have no idea about here weight but will monitor it once she is here

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you, but any idea if

She will be sent to me via car in a 14 hours ride, and i will do my best to get her to drink kitten lactose free milk, i'm just fearing that she already spent 2 weeks with no milk, and how will that affect her health long term
Lactose free milk, although is commonly called for kitten milk, is really not the best. Goats milk och kitten mothermilk replace, kmr, is better. goats milk is also much cheaper than such a whiskas kitten milk...

Some kittens begins with solid food earlier. Its OK, but be sure its food suitable for kittens; as it contain more taurin than say, cat food for adult cats. Or gor dogs. Wet kitten food is excellent, and even wet cat food is usually good enough. (eaier to make good quality wet cat food than dry cat food).

As said, goats milk or kmr is always a good supplement. Youghurt is fine - best an unflavored full fat youghurt. Depends a little on what the cat fancy.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can always mix a little kitten formula in with her regular food. She'll probably take it that way. I did that when I took in a foundling from under my car. She was about five weeks old, but did not need a bottle. She seemed to have already been weaned when her mother abandoned her.

She's about three years old now, and seems to have turned out just fine.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She looks to be between 8-10 weeks old to me.

I would go with the above advice of mixing some KMR with her wet food for a few weeks, just to give her an extra boost of nutrients and calcium. Best of luck!

AB00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say the Bio PetActive or the Dr Clauder's. The other one looks like it's just a treat.

But like I said, it's not really necessary at this age so if it's too expensive so you decide not to get it or she doesn't like it, don't worry about it.