1 1/2yr male swatting 5yr male

hellgirl117

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have three cats, Gizmo, Stripe, and Toaster Strudel. All males, all neutered

Stripe and Gizmo are bonded, and Toaster Strudel and Gizmo are also bonded.

The problem is between Stripe and Toaster Strudel

Stripe has this "obsession" with Toaster Strudel, I can't tell if he wants to play with him or wants him to go away

They don't play together, they barely occupy the same place for more than ten minutes. They can sleep by each other just fine and they can eat around each other as well but passing by each other is a war zone, no matter where it is

I'm now just so tired and so confused because this morning Stripe was grooming Toaster Strudel, he was licking his head and I was so excited but after five seconds Stripe just starts swatting Toaster Strudel

Toaster Strudels hisses at him and screams as he always does so I put Stripe in a room for about 30 seconds while Toaster Strudel hid under the bed

They have come so far when it comes to fixed introductions Jackson Galaxy style and after Stripe was put on Gabapentin for anxiety, they've been able to coexist for about seven months (but including these spats that they keep having)

I just don't understand what is going on with them and why they keep doing this.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hellgirl117

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to add that Stripe is also deaf, and cannot hear when Toaster Strudel growls at him in passing. But this morning there was no growling

Stripe also gives no warning signs, no flat ears, no tail swishing. Only his eyes change and he's after Toaster Strudel in a second

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be very weird if this wasn't play on Stripe's part with the harmonious, even affectionate, moments at times. A one and a half year old can change from grooming to play in a heart beat. Its a bit like "how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?" Except instead of lick, lick, crunch the tootsie roll its lick, lick, play bite the other cat! And cats do sometimes bop each other when they want to initiate play. It would also be normal for another cat to very much not want to engage in play with a young cat and react with stress and hissing, even fighting. It certainly wouldn't help that the young cat is death -- they certainly dont always listen to signs at that age, but they sometimes do, if they can hear them.

So that is my guess at what is happening. But you can link a video for us to look at if you want.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hellgirl117

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It would be very weird if this wasn't play on Stripe's part with the harmonious, even affectionate, moments at times. A one and a half year old can change from grooming to play in a heart beat. Its a bit like "how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?" Except instead of lick, lick, crunch the tootsie roll its lick, lick, play bite the other cat! And cats do sometimes bop each other when they want to initiate play. It would also be normal for another cat to very much not want to engage in play with a young cat and react with stress and hissing, even fighting. It certainly wouldn't help that the young cat is death -- they certainly dont always listen to signs at that age, but they sometimes do, if they can hear them.

So that is my guess at what is happening. But you can link a video for us to look at
This might be helpful;
How to upload a video
I think you are both right but something about it just seems odd to me. Stripe plays so well with his brother, Gizmo, and they stop when one gets bored or goes too far. But Stripe doesn't stop when it comes to Toaster Strudel not wanting to play

I can't tell if the issue is with one of them, or both of them, or if I'm doing something wrong

I will attach a video as soon as I'm able to get one. It happens so fast